DireStraits_SACD_Cover.jpeg

May 23, 2005 at 6:27 PM Post #2 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy
Anyone have this SACD yet?

DireStraits_SACD_Cover.jpeg

Not yet, but I have it on my list. Could take a while though
rolleyes.gif
I would be very interested in a review as well.

May 23, 2005 at 7:05 PM Post #3 of 21
Please make my day and tell me two things: 1) the new Brothers in Arms is now available in the U.S., and 2) it has a two-channel SACD layer in addition to the surround 5.1.

Welly Wu -- Just got the Rachel Podger Vivaldi La Stravaganza. It's perfect for a Sunday morning! (Well, it was yesterday; I'll retest in six days.)

May 23, 2005 at 7:09 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by pframe
Please make my day and tell me two things: 1) the new Brothers in Arms is now available in the U.S., and 2) it has a two-channel SACD layer in addition to the surround 5.1.

Welly Wu -- Just got the Rachel Podger Vivaldi La Stravaganza. It's perfect for a Sunday morning! (Well, it was yesterday; I'll retest in six days.)

Well, almost every SACD has a dedicated stereo hi-rez mix.....including the "Brothers In Arms" SACD

DireStraits_SACD_Back.jpeg

Unfortunately, it's not available in the US as a domestic release; Dire Straits is signed in the US to Warner Music, a DVD-A supporter. However, this is where the internet comes in....

May 23, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy
Well, almost every SACD has a dedicated stereo hi-rez mix.....including the "Brothers In Arms" SACD

Unfortunately, it's not available in the US as a domestic release; Dire Straits is signed in the US to Warner Music, a DVD-A supporter. However, this is where the internet comes in....

Thanks, soundboy. About 10 seconds after that post, I saw your reply -- with back-cover image -- on Wmcmanus's BIA-specific thread.

I had to ask because I have Mark O'Connor's The American Seasons, which is SACD 5.1 but has no two-channel SACD. It sounds fantastic on my regular CD player, and I'm dying to hear it in SACD, but can't.
confused.gif

So, where did you order your copy? Europe? Hong Kong? Inquiring Knopfler fans want to know.
tongue.gif

May 23, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

I had to ask because I have Mark O'Connor's The American Seasons, which is SACD 5.1 but has no two-channel SACD. It sounds fantastic on my regular CD player, and I'm dying to hear it in SACD, but can't.
confused.gif

Huh?!
blink.gif
confused.gif
I though stereo was mandatory for SACD?

May 23, 2005 at 7:53 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
Huh?!
blink.gif
confused.gif
I though stereo was mandatory for SACD?

Me, too. My SACD light does NOT come on for this disk, however. Maybe it's a problem specific to the O'Connor CD. Any other head-fiers have this music? Does it play as two-channel SACD?

[edit] Re-read your post, Oliver. It DOES have a Redbook stereo layer. What I believe is missing is the two-channel SACD layer.

May 23, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Me, too. My SACD light does NOT come on for this disk, however. Maybe it's a problem specific to the O'Connor CD. Any other head-fiers have this music? Does it play as two-channel SACD?

[edit] Re-read your post, Oliver. It DOES have a Redbook stereo layer. What I believe is missing is the two-channel SACD layer.

Sorry, that's what I meant of course. I thought SACD STEREO was mandatory for SACD. Otherwise I would not be bewildered, redbook is only mandatory for Hybrids. And it has to be redbook, not some copy-controled monstrosity.

May 23, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #10 of 21
So we both expect the same thing, Oliver. We'll have to wait, then, for other head-fiers to chime in. How about it, head-fi gang -- do all SACDs with a 5.1 surround layer also have a stereo SACD layer?

To steal a slogan: I WANT MY SACD!
600smile.gif

May 23, 2005 at 8:25 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

So we both expect the same thing, Oliver. We'll have to wait, then, for other head-fiers to chime in. How about it, head-fi gang -- do all SACDs with a 5.1 surround layer also have a stereo SACD layer?

To steal a slogan: I WANT MY SACD!
600smile.gif

In the early days I saw some Stereo only SACDs, but now almost all are Hybrid, with Stereo and multichannel layers.

May 23, 2005 at 8:32 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder
In the early days I saw some Stereo only SACDs, but now almost all are Hybrid, with Stereo and multichannel layers.

Confirmed. I have yet to see a non-hybrid multichannel, and also never came across the here described non-high-res stereo. Non-high-res stereo is a violation of the SACD standard, as far as I know.

May 23, 2005 at 9:40 PM Post #13 of 21
I think the first thing SACD frustrating me is the multichannel problem. Most classical SACDs with multichannel tracks are encoded in 5.0 format, which means that the existing home theater systems are not capable of amping those signals, or the sound stage will be destroyed.

May 23, 2005 at 9:44 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by juneamour
I think the first thing SACD frustrating me is the multichannel problem. Most classical SACDs with multichannel tracks are encoded in 5.0 format, which means that the existing home theater systems are not capable of amping those signals, or the sound stage will be destroyed.

They go out analog to the inputs on you reciever, not sure what you mean here, lack of the .1 (AKA sub), but I have never had a problem with multichannel, other than there are a lot of engineers who simply aren't very good at doing much with it.

Scott

May 23, 2005 at 10:57 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
Confirmed. I have yet to see a non-hybrid multichannel, and also never came across the here described non-high-res stereo. Non-high-res stereo is a violation of the SACD standard, as far as I know.

I think there's a confusion of terms here. A hybrid is a SACD that contains a CD layer. There are plenty of non-hybrid multi-channel (aka single layer) SACD out there, mostly from Sony. There're some from Universal as well. As far as the availbility of stereo hi-rez on SACD, I think there're a few SACDs without a dedicated stereo hi-rez mix. However, those are in the extremely minority and certainly not an eagarly-anticipated title such as "Brothers In Arms".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back