SA6 with cracking sound
Aug 19, 2008 at 1:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

s3xkiller

New Head-Fier
My SA6 had a cracking sound on one side of the earphone if I turn the volume to over 90% of my creative zen (volume about 22 of 25).
I had already try different song and the same thing happened.
I also try to switch the earphone from left to the right cable and also the same.
I think one piece of the earphone is defected from factory.
Anybody had the same problem?

Aug 21, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #2 of 27
As you were told in the other thread, it is most likley and most probably because you were listening to them at 90% volume. I seriously doubt that is defective, but I find it very probably by listening at such a high volume you may have overdriven the earpiece. Mine work fine, but with my EQ setting if I have them out of ear and put the volume on my D2 to 100% nothing but fuzz and crackling come out, so it could just be your EQ. I don't see any reason why you would have to have the volume so high in the first place. I borrowed a Zen for about a week once and never had it very loud (how loud I don't know, the screen was broken).

Aug 21, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #3 of 27
Since yours is the first mention I've read of this particular issue, I suggest you contact Sleek Audio directly via their website to discuss the matter with them. If they deem the earphones RMA-worthy, you can get a new set to try. While I also can't imagine pushing these IEMs to 90% of a player's volume and getting positive results (concerning either sound quality or eardrum health), at least then you'll have a basis for comparison.

Aug 21, 2008 at 12:08 PM Post #4 of 27
As you may know that creative zen had a weak ampifier so pushing the volume to 90% is not very loud as you imagine.
SA6 has 50ohm impedance, higher than yuin pk2 that i have.
So the 90% (level 22) volume is just loud but not that "loud".
If I listen with yuin pk2, I set the volume to only 18.

Aug 21, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by s3xkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As you may know that creative zen had a weak ampifier so pushing the volume to 90% is not very loud as you imagine.
SA6 has 50ohm impedance, higher than yuin pk2 that i have.
So the 90% (level 22) volume is just loud but not that "loud".

I agree. My unsignificant other
icon10.gif
- has a Zen Touch, supposedly more powerful than my Sony, yet whichever earphones I try with the Zen, I end up pushing the volume to 90% to reach the same volume as I get on the Sony at 60%. And that included the SA6. As for the cracking sound, that's exactly the same problem I had, and it had nothing to do with the volume at all, since I tried the replacement with the Zen, not the blown earpiece. I can't see there would be any problem with a replacement, especially considering there have been other people with the same prolem.

Aug 21, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree. My unsignificant other
icon10.gif
- has a Zen Touch, supposedly more powerful than my Sony, yet whichever earphones I try with the Zen, I end up pushing the volume to 90% to reach the same volume as I get on the Sony at 60%. And that included the SA6. As for the cracking sound, that's exactly the same problem I had, and it had nothing to do with the volume at all, since I tried the replacement with the Zen, not the blown earpiece. I can't see there would be any problem with a replacement, especially considering there have been other people with the same prolem.

So there ya go, s3xkiller. Contact Sleek for an RMA...

Aug 25, 2008 at 1:06 PM Post #7 of 27
@soozieq
Thanks for the information.
I had contact Sleek and Mack told me to send the driver for inspection.
If it is a blown driver, they will send me a replacement pair for a replacement price.
But I don't think it is a blown driver because only one side produce cracking sound. CMIIW.

Aug 25, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by s3xkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@soozieq
Thanks for the information.
I had contact Sleek and Mack told me to send the driver for inspection.
If it is a blown driver, they will send me a replacement pair for a replacement price.

Are you saying Sleek will actually charge you to replace a faulty product while it's still under warranty?? I would contact Jason, since almost everyone else with faulty cables and earpieces has been sent an immediate replacement free of charge.

Since this isn't an isolated incident by any means, I can't understand why you have to send it back for 'inspection'... I didn't! I just e-mailed Jason, described the problem, and was sent the replacement immediately. I sent the faulty one back after I got the replacement.

EDIT: And don't forget the problem I described to Jason was exactly the same problem you're having. I would definitely contact him and ask why you're expected to pay for anything if there's a fault with the earpiece - which there clearly is.

Aug 25, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #9 of 27
Whether or not it's fair, I'm guessing Sleek's reaction is because of the context in which s3xkiller has presented the problem...Without knowing firsthand how underpowered the Zen was, this talk of using the earphones at "90% volume" sounded quite extreme to me, and a candidate for user fault. After some discussion, I now realize that the Zen is a special case when it comes to volume output, but those were my initial thoughts. I agree with soozieq, s3xkiller -- you should contact Jason directly and push to have this resolved in a manner more consistent with past replacements.

Aug 25, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
s3xkiller -- you should contact Jason directly and push to have this resolved in a manner
[size=small]more consistent with past replacements.[/size]

I agree, and I hope he gets it dealt with quickly. While everyone agrees that the customer service is extremely good, it needs to extend that service to everyone who bought a pair of SA6 which were either dead on arrival, or died soon after. It must be very frustrating to have paid out all that money, and then have to wait while the faulty earpiece is 'inspected', while everyone else receives their replacements within 48 hours. Anyway, I'm sure if he lets Jason know about this directly, he'll get his replacement without having to wait.

s3xkiller - update us if there's any further development.

Aug 25, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #11 of 27
I think this forum would agree that our customer service has been very good. We without exception, have sent new warranty parts to everyone that needed them and even to those that did not. I personally answer emails nearly 24/7.

The problem with anyone form Indonesia and in particular Jakarta is that EVERY single unit purchased from that region has been fraudulent. Costing us tens of thousands and setting us back on debuting some of our new products (iPhone cables and Customs), and delaying every shipment when ordered Internationally. Even now many of the large distributors on this site will not send to Indonesia under any circumstance.

We have to take each one of these "case by case". We actually have replaced fraudulent units just to keep a good name. But many of these people are getting smart and saying they bought them used or from another person. They often use the exact same story and that is why we ask who they purchased it from or an original receipt.

We have already sent this new member to head-fi an email saying we will replace it regardless. Please understand while we do not mind sending out any warranty part to anyone we just want to make sure it is legitimate.

Thank you,
Jason

Aug 25, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think this forum would agree that our customer service has been very good. We without exception, have sent new warranty parts to everyone that needed them and even to those that did not. I personally answer emails nearly 24/7.

Jason, no one would dispute the level of customer service you offer. I think everyone is in agreement about that
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

We have already sent this new member to head-fi an email saying we will replace it regardless.

So, now you'll have another happy customer
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #13 of 27
I still remember Jason told us that a few thousands dollar worth of SA6 were scammed away by some Indonesians. I have good faith in Sleek Audio's service, but people who bought stolen goods ain't really customer since the manufacturer will never see any money. No one can blame Sleek Audio for not giving warranty in that kind of situation (and yet they do). Even if some one claims it was bought as used, they can still ask the seller / previous owner to provide some kind of prove.

Kudos to Jason and Sleek Audio for yet another great customer service.

Aug 26, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still remember Jason told us that a few thousands dollar worth of SA6 were scammed away by some Indonesians. I have good faith in Sleek Audio's service, but people who bought stolen goods ain't really customer since the manufacturer will never see any money. No one can blame Sleek Audio for not giving warranty in that kind of situation (and yet they do). Even if some one claims it was bought as used, they can still ask the seller / previous owner to provide some kind of prove.

Kudos to Jason and Sleek Audio for yet another great customer service.

X2 Well put.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back