SA6 vs SE530
Nov 4, 2008 at 6:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Spadge

500+ Head-Fier
Hi there,

I currently own the Sleek SA6 and am enjoying their sound... However I am curious for something with a little more bass impact..

Just wondering how the SE530's compare to the SA6's in terms of overall sound signature?

1) I know they have more bass... is it a significant amount more or just slightly (using bass+ with pin mod tips on SA6's)?

2) The SE530's are known for their rolled off highs... How do they compare to the SA6 highs?

3) How does the soundstage compare between the two?

4) Does the SE530 have the same amount of 'clarity' of the sound?

5) Any other points worth noting?

Thanks for any help.

Paul

Nov 4, 2008 at 10:35 AM Post #2 of 13
i think the se530 is certainly the superior set of phones, at that level the clarity is deffinately a little better, especially when you turn it up.

you only really can see the difference extra drivers make when you turn it up tho, this is the only downside i see with multi drivers, they only shine when called into action.

as for bass and highs i think the highs are dead even but can certainly tingle more on the sa6 with the right tweaking. the bass is certainly more refined on the shures, again especially when you crank it. mids is fairly close but the shures have always portrayed superb mids, giving real upfront detail in the midrange.

so yeh id say the shures are better but its a love it or hate it set of phones, wheras the sa6 can be tweaked, although i do think the tweaks make a small change.

Nov 4, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by energie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol jinx i think the same thing and i just realized it reading this post.

I can really see a big difference when i turn up the volume!

yeh, multi driver phones do come into thier own when you crank it, but at low volumes you may aswell have the se310 or similar because the extra drivers dont really come into play. but cranking it up those extra drivers do a job and its seperation, having the bass seperate from the mids and highs is a nice thing to have when you crank it up for sure

Nov 4, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #5 of 13
Cranking it up means? If you want a little more bass without having to risk your hearing, the Klipsch X10s deliver. I own both the X10s and the SA6s Neither "require" an over the ear style, which is a deal breaker for me. I just don't like having to run cables over my ears. Not saying SE530 is not an excellent IEM, but in terms of comfort and sound quality with deep, clean impactful bass, the X10s are tough to beat. On the other hand, I don't find the Sleeks lacking in that area, as you do.

Nov 4, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cranking it up means? If you want a little more bass without having to risk your hearing, the Klipsch X10s deliver. I own both the X10s and the SA6s Neither "require" an over the ear style, which is a deal breaker for me. I just don't like having to run cables over my ears. Not saying SE530 is not an excellent IEM, but in terms of comfort and sound quality with deep, clean impactful bass, the X10s are tough to beat. On the other hand, I don't find the Sleeks lacking in that area, as you do.

i didnt mean crank it up till you go deaf...
redface.gif

lets say for example you use a d2 like i do, if your going to listen below say 15/50 then a single driver will be sufficient and sound just as good as multi drivers, but lets say you want more juice, like say your fav song just popped on and you wanna rock out, turning multi drivers up is usually more pleasurable than cranking a single driver.

note: i do say usually and there are some superb single driver phones, but we are talking about sa6 and it pales in comparison at reasonable volumes

Nov 4, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spadge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there,

I currently own the Sleek SA6 and am enjoying their sound... However I am curious for something with a little more bass impact..

Just wondering how the SE530's compare to the SA6's in terms of overall sound signature?

1) I know they have more bass... is it a significant amount more or just slightly (using bass+ with pin mod tips on SA6's)?

2) The SE530's are known for their rolled off highs... How do they compare to the SA6 highs?

3) How does the soundstage compare between the two?

4) Does the SE530 have the same amount of 'clarity' of the sound?

5) Any other points worth noting?

Thanks for any help.

Paul

1) SE530 has significantly more bass, though I do not find the SA6 lacking.
2) The SA6's highs are significantly better. No sparkle to the highs of the SE530.
3) Soundstage of the SE530 is a bit wider.
4) No.
5) SE530 is more comfortable for long periods of time. SA6 can be tuned a bit to your liking (though perhaps not enough in bass department for those that like a ton of bass). SA6 has more detail and is faster. Both respond to amping, the SE530 more so than SA6.

Nov 5, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #9 of 13
i too would have to vote for the shure. the sa6 are excellent for a single driver armature. but if you really want very deep very good bass, you might look at a large driver diametre phone like atrio m5 or the newer sony iems which have 11mm drivers: much better bass resolution and a nice softer sound than the shure or sa6, but...

as far as overall resolution and clarity nothing beats the armature design. i found the shure even a bit harsh for my listening habits but (that was when i had the d2). that sold and now with my touch, i find them to be okay.

the sa6 while excellent and having huge bass does not seem to offer refined bass but rather a thumper bass akin to small diametre dynammic iems like denon c700. for the price i think the sa6 delivers on one thing: customisability however it lacks quality when compared to the slightly more expensive klipsch or audio technica ck10. the um2 too (though way more expensive) simply outclassed it.

the shure are just very well tweaked and need no introduction for superior sound reproduction. i think the sa6 will stand the test of time and remain as an excellent entry to a crowded arena but its bass is just an effort in effort instead of ease and smoothness.

Nov 5, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you only really can see the difference extra drivers make when you turn it up tho, this is the only downside i see with multi drivers, they only shine when called into action.

I noticed this too. The E530 only shines when turned up... I hope not beyond what is healthy.

Nov 5, 2008 at 12:47 PM Post #11 of 13
I've owned or had extended auditions with a few of the higher end IEM's and I personally think the SA6 holds up pretty well, the others all best them in one or more areas but overall I think the SA6's bring a well balanced (which is partially due to being able to tune them via the VQ system) sound and versatility to the table at a cost less than most of the other high end IEM's.

As far as sound goes they fall a bit behind on overall bass impact but it's pretty darn good nonetheless. Mids are the SA6's strong suit, they have some of the best mids of the IEM's I've heard to date. The highs I also quite like, I'm fairly sensitive to treble anomalies so anything harsh or peaky will tend to bother me over time especially if there is any excessive sibilance. The SA6's over a fairly decent, balanced and extended treble.

In direct comparison to the E530's I found the SA6's had better detail on the attack but with the E530's you got a better sense of the sustain of instruments which tends to give the E530's a bit fuller sound while the SA6's tend to have a somewhat livelier sound (although this can depend on the VQ system as well). The E530's also have a bit better punch but overall extension is fairly similar. One thing I noticed in my direct comparisons was the E530's could get a bit funky through the mids and not sound quite as natural as the SA6's. With the SA6's you get a similar treble level and extension as the E530's but you can also get a bit more/better via the treble tubes.

Staging is fairly different as well, the E530's are bit more out of the head and wider but don't offer quite the depth that the SA6's have. The E530's also seemed to congeal instruments a bit more whereas instruments via the SA6's occur a bit more in their own space. This most likely has to do with the difference in sustain and the somewhat fuller overall sound of the E530's.

So in conclusion, I personally think the SA6's are at home among the other top tier universal IEM's, like the others they're not perfect and the others may surpass them in some areas but they do bring a lot to the table, both in sound and versatility, at an asking price that is less than most.

Nov 5, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #12 of 13
+1^ I agree exactly, its uncanny actually. Im suprised at just how much we agree. Like I always say, I cant decide on either, I listen to one for a while and I find that Im glad I had them, then I listen for a week to the other and say dang, I was missing something in the other. It goes back and forth. Sometimes with the SA6 I miss that big bass and full sound. With the 500's I miss the seperation and clarity of the SA6. So I just use em both.

Nov 5, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #13 of 13
Understand completely, though I don't have the Shures. Same here with the SA6s and the Image X10s. Like, and use, them both. For sitting around the house (or on a train or plane), I favor the SA6s (mids/highs more prounounced, and better sound isolation), and when out and about, mainly walking, I favor the X10s, which are very easy to remove and reinsert. SQ-wise, they are very close (X10 bass is superior, but again, it's close). Also, the iPod Touch cable I ordered for the Sleeks has finally shipped, which means I no longer need to use the Griffin iTalk with them (a must with the X10s). Being able to change out the cable is a great option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back