Sa6 Questions
Jan 26, 2010 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Gorkem

New Head-Fier
Hi Everyone,

I'm in the market for a wireless SA6 (or SA9?) bundle and would like to ask a couple of questions:
  1. I've been hearing and reading SA9 rumors. Does anyone have any idea about an expected timeline for this?
  2. The main reason I'm planning to buy a SA6/9 is the Kleer capability. I run 5-6 times a week and had my share of problem with cables. Anybody have any experience they could share about running with SA6 wireless bundle? I'm a little worried that the receiver part attached to the earphones will bounce around. Is there a way to stabilize it?
  3. I read the post regarding amps. Sound quality is very important for me and all my music is ripped as apple lossless and flac from my CD collection. I never used an amp for portable music before so my knowledge is very limited in this area. Could someone suggest an amp for me (in the range of $100-$300)? I mainly listen to jazz, progressive rock, alternative rock and classical music.
  4. If I end up getting SA6, how can I make sure that I get the "new" version and not the old one?

I would very much appreciate any feedback on these questions.

Thank you in advance
dt880smile.png

Jan 27, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #2 of 16
I can't exactly answer too many of your questions since I don't have the wireless, but in order:
1: As far as I know, only the people at SA know the timeline (if even that)
3: Check up on the portable amps section. Personally I'm waiting for the Fiio E7 to come out to see how that works out. Otherwise I think that the Nuforce Icon Mobile is somewhat popular as are some DIY projects among numerous others.
4: If you order it from an authorized dealer they should get you the new one (I got mine from SoundEarphones.com if that helps)

Honestly, for running I would choose something that doesn't have much isolation at all (or just no isolation) so that I can still maintain some degree of situational awareness (especially if you have to run on the street). I don't know what kind of running you do, but I tend to have to run on the street and I don't consider it to be a good idea to block out everything (the SA6 flanges isolate quite a bit) in a situation when you need to know what is going on around you.

Jan 27, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #3 of 16
What... ?

You going to use a amplifier while running ?

Just get a sansa clip or clip+ and you will be fine.

This setup sounded good unamp.

I personally don't recommend listening to music while exercising haha, but you can tighten the cables at the wireless receiver, such that it is "tied" to the back of your head, adjustable cables length

Jan 27, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #4 of 16
Kirtar, thank you for your reply. I understand that running in a crowded area with near perfect sound isolation would cause serious problems. However, I run by a lake and it is only for running/walking so I still want to get a wireless set (maintaining sound quality) to solve my cable issues.

Anyone who actually uses SA-W1 bundle and runs with it? My only concern is that relatively big piece attached to the headset. From the pictures, I couldn't figure out a way to stabilize that part while running.

Thanks
jecklinsmile.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #5 of 16
Junliang, I'm not planning to run with the amp but I wanted to add that question to my list (as a seperate item) since I started asking
smily_headphones1.gif

I heard great things about SA6 (and certainly not interested anything Sansa, thank you for your suggestion, I love iriver/cowon portables) and would love to test it at its best (with amp). The funny thing is, I almost can't exercise if I'm not listening to music, it is my favourite thing to do
smily_headphones1.gif
an been doing it for a long time.

This whole wireless thing started last month when my earphone cables got tangled somehow and my mp3 player flew in the air hit the road and cracked its screen
wink.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #6 of 16
Haha sure, follow what suits you then.

Btw, I just tried it, the method that I just said, and it works.
As you can see from the picture below, the wireless receiver has an adjustable cable length
IMG_1139.jpg

Just tighten it after you have put it on.

Normally it should stay there, bend the wires abit such that it creates obstruction and friction, preventing the wires from moving out of that adjusted length.

Otherwise, cut an eraser to the same size and slot it in and block it from moving.

Tried running on the spot for 1 min and running around, doesn't affect it at all
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gorkem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you so much!!!!! I didn't know you could adjust the cable lenght like that awesome!!! I'm going to buy it tonight
beerchug.gif

Sure, glad to be of help
smile_phones.gif

Hope you will get them soon
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #9 of 16
I use a HeadAmp Pico With my CT6.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 23, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #10 of 16
So I got side tracked a little bit and still haven't bought the SA6 (work was extremely busy). Today, I went to Sleek's website to look for the authorized dealers and noticed that Fry's is added to the list. There is one close to my place so I'm planning to stop by sometimes this week to grab one.

How do I make sure that I get the new version? (2009 I believe)

Here is the item listed on their website:

FRYS.com*|*SLEEK AUDIO WIRELESS

Thanks
atsmile.gif

Feb 23, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #11 of 16
I noticed soundearphones has it for less then $150 without the W-1.

The 2009 version doesnt have that little chrome ring where the tips go in. The chrome piece extends all the way to where the tips insert.

And yes, you can use the cable management to keep the thing from bouncing around. It also isnt nearly as big as in the pics and it is very light weight. Also, if you wear a hat when you run you can just tuck it up under the back of your hat. That is what I do anyhow.

Lastly, ENJOY!

EDIT: I just looked and saw that soundearphones has the bundle for $249 and shipping is free. Also they had a cupon code that is expired but maybe if you email Michael he might give it to you with the 15% off. Soundearphones is a cool place and a headfi sponser to boot. Always worth a try to ask, or at least ask when the next cupon code will be out. Even without the code saving $50 in comparison to frys price should be worth it?

Feb 23, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #12 of 16
pseudohippy, thank you for the suggestion. I will check Soundearphones. The reason I was going with Fry's was the convenience of having one in driving distance. If that discount thing goes through, it would definitely be worth getting it from Soundearphones.

I'm assuming Michael you mentioned in your note is Soundearphone's representative on these forums. Could you please give me his email (so that I can ask for the coupon)?

Thank you in advance.

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #13 of 16
Actually they have the sponsor forum directly under sleeks. But here is a link into the main thread. If you notice the last post Michael suggest to a member to PM (private message) him and ask for a deal on a price. So that is the route I would take. Or just email them at there main address which is in the first posts and all of Michaels posts. They have been really good to headfi members including me. But I understand the convenience factor and if your not worried about fifty bucks just go get them. The Sleeks sound great. The only thing I dont like about the W1 is the relatively short battery life and the hard to turn off power switch. Unless you have tiny fingers. Its worked for me though since I never use them more then about 4hrs at a time and just charge overnight.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f115/w...-forum-332177/

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #14 of 16
Thanks pseudohippy, you were incredibly helpful. I will reach out to them. I mainly want the wireless capability for exercising so 4 hours at a time will be more than enough
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #15 of 16
Sure thing, and welcome to headfi. Be sure to come back and let us all know how it worked out and what you think of it. Im more then happy with mine. Some complain the SQ isnt quite as good wireless but Im like you and use it on the go ie. working out or mowing the lawn and so on. Im hardly doing critical listening when Im using the wireless. In fact I hardly ever do any critical listening.

Just a tip though, I really enjoy them more with the comply tips. I dont like the double flange. I dont really know your experience with the different tips of the world so it might take some experimenting on your part to find the right tips for you. I hope you like the double flange right off but I sure didnt. You might want to get a pack of med. or large or if they have a variety pack of the complys if you order from soundearphones that way you can take advantage of free shipping all in the same order. I didnt mention the smalls because they are incredibly small, like baby size small. I can send you a free pair but I dont think they will fit you or anybody for that matter. Just PM me. Id send you some mediums but I already gave away my spares. But of course it would be a waste if you enjoy the stock tips. Im just babbling now but just giving you my experience with them up front. Yours might be quite different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back