SA5000 superior to AKG K701
Mar 3, 2006 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 127

drarthurwells

Headphoneus Supremus
Yes the SA5000 is so much better than the AKG K701, when:

Using the BLAudio LP 1 MKII battery powered high end preamp and headphone amp with a really good source like the Eastsound E5 (or better).

The BLAudio is a very smooth and sweet headphone solid state amp that is best with headphones of 100 ohm impedance or more. It works great with the Etymotic 4S. Click on the BLAudio link below in my signature listings.

The SA5000 is superior to the Etymotic 4S in every way (click on the ER 4S link below).

The AKG K701 is more pleasing than the SA5000 in the typical set up. Click on the AKG K701 link below.

However, using an Etymotic 4P to 4S converter-extenion at the end of the ER4 stereo plug, with both the AKG K701 and the SA5000 (to bring their impedance up to about 150 ohms), the following is heard:

The K701 is too euphonic in providing a tube like liquidity to the point of being unnatural - the SA5000 has really nice tone image delineation and openness of separate tone images while prviding for the right amount of tone body and richness - much more natural and realistic.

The differences between the SA5000 and AKG K701 can work in favor of the SA5000 and against the AKG K701 with some amps.

Iron_Dreamer was right!

You can use two .5 watt resistors of 75 to 100 ohms (or slightly more) wired in series on the left and right channel leads from the BLAudio to the headphone, to boost impedance, or buy the Etymotic 4P to 4S converter.

A really nice system is:

1. E5 CDP

2. Sony SA5000 (best), or Etymotic 4P (but either must be used with Etymotic 4P to 4S impedance converter, or wire two .5 watt, 75 to 100 ohm resistors in series with the left and right positive headphone leads to the BLAudio headphone output)

or the Etymotic 4S and

3. BLAudio LP I MK II pre-amp/headphone amp

Mar 3, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #2 of 127
All I can say.. is
rolleyes.gif

Mar 4, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #4 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Translation: K701 sounds more pleasing, unless you try really hard to tweak your system to compensate for all the SA5000's faults.
tongue.gif

I agree with that statement, though I don't feel my setup took that much effort (or money). My plan is for the K701s to become my computer setup (waiting to try out Aria) and keep my XCD/M^3 as the SA5000 setup, because I can't help but really like both
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #5 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Translation: K701 sounds more pleasing, unless you try really hard to tweak your system to compensate for all the SA5000's faults.
tongue.gif

More like tweak your system to withstand the SA5000's brutally revealing nature, and not mind its' effect on your less than stellar recordings.
tongue.gif

Mar 4, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #7 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeee's back!

This place wouldn't be the same without the SA5000 and ER4S gushing posts.

Mar 4, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #10 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
The K701 is too euphonic in providing a tube like liquidity to the point of being unnatural - the SA5000 has really nice tone image delineation and openness of separate tone images while prviding for the right amount of tone body and richness - much more natural and realistic.

Something is wrong with your ears if you think SA5000 is more natural than K701
rolleyes.gif

Mar 4, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #11 of 127
I heard the SA5000 with what I consider to be some of the best sources (Meridian G08, Wadia 861SE) and headphone amps (new HeadRoom Max, RSA Raptor & HR-2)...and absolutely hated it.

I've never cared much for Sony cans...I think that the SA3000 is OK, and actually liked the Qualia (but OH...not at that PRICE!!). IMHO, the SA5000 is the WORST "premium" headphone I've heard....at ANY price. It's just not to my liking at all.

I suppose that if it was paired with the right amp - something VERY dark, maybe - it might be better. Maybe it wasn't burned it...I don't know. It's the only headphone that I can remember that I actively disliked. Maybe it's just me, but it's just not my speed.

Mar 4, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #15 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
what does "tone image delineation" mean?

Art: The tone edges are clearly resolved/defined - the note stands independently in space surronded by air. A softer tone edge blurs and expands the tone image, and merges the tone with other tones from other instruments to give a liquid sound.

Sound of a detailed tube compared to a rich euphonic tube, is the best illustration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back