SA5000 recable... worth it?
Aug 9, 2006 at 7:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Roasty

Headphoneus Supremus
received the SA5000 which i bought from mega a few days ago. just wondering, does anyone here have a recabled SA5000, and what sound differences does the recable produce?

i saw the black dragon recable on the moon audio website and it looks as though the length of cable from the earcups to where the black dragon cable starts is still the stock sony cable ?! (someone correct me if i'm wrong). if this is the case, does that remaining length of stock cable become a sort of a hindrance to what could have been if the black dragon cable was hardwired to the drivers?

would be grateful if anyone could shed some light on this.

i'm pretty happy with the SA5000. these have got to be one of the comfiest cans ever.. much lighter and less death clamping than the 650. and a relief from the earache i got from wearing the ms2i for too long.

its a totally different sound signature from the HD650, and quite similiar to the 325i more so than the ms2i. yes they are bright. they do well producing detail , more upfront than the rest of my cans. i wont say that they make me hear things i've never heard before. it seems they just make it easier to pick out small details as compared to my other cans.

still burning them in now together with the headfive. it feels like the sa5000 have less 'body'.. thin sounding in the midrange. bass is very tight and well textured, but could have more slam. unfortunately female vocals especially on the high notes gives me left ear tinnitus.. i hope this improves over time. snare drums have nice prat (is that the right way to use this term?). massive attack's teardrop sounds great with these cans.

all in all from what mega tells me there is less than 20 hours of use on this pair. i'm thinking i'll leave it burning in for a few days. right about now, i prefer the SA5000 + LD2 more than with the headfive. its pretty cold with the headfive, but warmer sounding with the LD2. i'll think i'll keep the HD650 paired with the headive and SA5k with the LD2.

man i love this place.. screw my wallet.

Aug 9, 2006 at 8:41 AM Post #2 of 8
I have recabled quite a few SA5000 headphones and I would have to say it makes quite a large difference since the stock cable is just awful.

-Alex-

Oct 2, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #4 of 8
could i get a guide or a link to a guide for disassembling the sa5000's. I would like to rewire my sa5k's but want to disassemble them correctly. a full re-wireing guide would be nice, but some pics of it getting taken apart would work too and be well appreciated. thanks.

Oct 2, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by FA22RaptorF22
could i get a guide or a link to a guide for disassembling the sa5000's. I would like to rewire my sa5k's but want to disassemble them correctly. a full re-wireing guide would be nice, but some pics of it getting taken apart would work too and be well appreciated. thanks.

it should be very simple..

remove the pads, unscrew 4 small + screws, carefully open up, desolder/solder

sorry, i dont have a picture..

Oct 2, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #6 of 8
if i were to do a dual xlr, the +/- on each would go to the standard +/- on the xlr connector correct? where do people put the ground from the xlr onto? and thanks for the help so far...
280smile.gif

Oct 2, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #7 of 8
At the very least, a re-cable will make it not sound like your room is full of angry cats whenever it rubs up against something.

Oct 3, 2006 at 6:31 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
At the very least, a re-cable will make it not sound like your room is full of angry cats whenever it rubs up against something.

People are now looking at me funny after randomly breaking out in hysterics. I hope you're proud of yourself.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back