SA5000 recable - which one and sonic benefits?
Nov 8, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #4 of 11
I had a pair of Sony SA5000's recabled with APS V3. Alex does a phenomenal job - the stock cable is terrible to say the least; the V3 is a beauty....sounds good too
tongue.gif

Did two particular things which the SA5K benefited from: tamed the highs so that they were not as shrill, with no loss in detail - in fact, detail probably better as the higher frequencies are cleaned up. Second thing was to add some weight to the bass and midbass....it remains very taut and fast, but has a little more body to it. Particularly useful with vocals.

I also had a balanced V3 recabled pair, and balancing was an additional improvement...incremental, but not insignificant (though that could also be attributed to the amplification)

Oh, and if you go V3, get the super nylon sleeving (mandatory IMO).

Nov 8, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #5 of 11
I have an SA5000 with a balanced Enigma Oracle cable. I haven't compared it with a stock unit, so I don't know what, if any, differences there are.

I also have a W5000 with a balanced Enigma Oracle as well as a stock W5000, so I've been able to compare them. I prefer the recabled unit, but the difference isn't very large. I've posted about this before.

Nov 8, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a pair of Sony SA5000's recabled with APS V3. Alex does a phenomenal job - the stock cable is terrible to say the least; the V3 is a beauty....sounds good too
tongue.gif

Did two particular things which the SA5K benefited from: tamed the highs so that they were not as shrill, with no loss in detail - in fact, detail probably better as the higher frequencies are cleaned up. Second thing was to add some weight to the bass and midbass....it remains very taut and fast, but has a little more body to it. Particularly useful with vocals.

I also had a balanced V3 recabled pair, and balancing was an additional improvement...incremental, but not insignificant (though that could also be attributed to the amplification)

Oh, and if you go V3, get the super nylon sleeving (mandatory IMO).

Would you say that balancing was equal to the recable improvement or a smaller incremental improvement?

Nov 8, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #8 of 11
Incremental; the recable itself provides more significant an improvement. Of course, I do not think cables make a "night and day" difference, but certainly worthwhile and provide a more enjoyable listening experience. Improvements in the balanced setup could be attributed to the amplifier (which was different to the SE amp).

Nov 12, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #10 of 11
I recabled my SA5000s with a stock HD650 cable. I can't say I noticed any sonic benefit (mainly because I wasn't listening for one) but the cable is quite a bit shorter, more rugged and probably won't suffer from the seemingly inevitable failure that the SA5000 cable does.

Nov 12, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #11 of 11
I have mine recabled with cardas and 4-pin connector. I can't say I noticed any difference (I can never notice anything with cables..) but the new cable sure is sturdy
smily_headphones1.gif
I really like the stock cable- it looks and feels classy(maybe not as much as audio technica ones), but didn't last me more than two months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back