S4 vs Re0 vs Hippo VB vs (any other suggestion)
Nov 2, 2010 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

NightRyder

Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy some new in earphones at a price range of 50-150$.  I've seen lots of good reviews on the s4 and have heard highly of re0 and hippo vb.  I can't seem to decide which one earphones to get though.  I currently have a cowon j3 mp3 player which i love, I'm a hugh fan of u2, and i also listen to hiphop/rap and some alternate rock (nothing too heavy).  I love hearing clear vocals(i guess thats treble), i'm not too picky about bass as long as theres a bass i can hear and it's clear.  Basically just earphones with good treble and decent bass (doesn't have to be top of the line bass).  I listen to flac music mostly and i'd like the best sound quality i can get.

Nov 2, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #3 of 29
add the Brainwavz M2's to your list.

Nov 3, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #5 of 29
hibbo vb and s4 have a lot of bass, too much! And the s4 has too much treble and no mids! The RE0 are very neutral and have very good highs! (the vocals needs the higher mids, the highs for the details)

Nov 3, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #6 of 29
I will say the RE0 or the RE-Zero are up your alley, the DBA might be too expensive (can't remember the pricing).  The S4....I prefer a different sound signature now. 

Nov 3, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #7 of 29

Quote:
hibbo vb and s4 have a lot of bass, too much! And the s4 has too much treble and no mids! The RE0 are very neutral and have very good highs! (the vocals needs the higher mids, the highs for the details)

ya the re0 sound like my kind of earphones, how comfortable are the earphones and how reliable is the brand?  I don`t see the re0 at most well known electronic stores.  Any cons on the re0?  At the moment i have sony earphones that were 40$ im not sure what sony earphones are known for but i don`t get the trebles i would like in the sony earphones, the bass is just right. The instruments like guitars are good but i wouldn`t mind having it even clearer.  When you say that the re0 are neutral that means that the bass is still there, just not the main thing that defines the earphones?  I`m really looking for balanced earphones with nothing overly exaggerated but i must say i do like the vocals sounding upfront, crisp, and clear.  Is the bass on the s4 similar to being in a car with a ridiculously powerful sub woofer that drowns out all the other instruments and vocals?  if so then the s4 are deff not my style.  is sibilance an issue with the re0?

Nov 3, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #8 of 29
i was just looking on the head-direct site and i found two re0 earphones one was the hifiman re-zero for 99$ and the other one was head-direct re0 for 79$.  Which one is the one were you guys are talking about, or which one is better?

Nov 3, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #9 of 29
the RE0 have better highs (their biggest strengh!) and they improve much from an amp. And they are cheaper. The Zero has better mids and has a (little bit) better soundstage. And the Zero is better without an amp. But the isolation (from other noices) are not so good, Etymotic is the best in isolation!
(but the problem is, a lot the peaple who have them are look like "fools", because the iem stand out of the ears)

Nov 3, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #10 of 29

Quote:
the RE0 have better highs (their biggest strengh!) and they improve much from an amp. And they are cheaper. The Zero has better mids and has a (little bit) better soundstage. And the Zero is better without an amp. But the isolation (from other noices) are not so good, Etymotic is the best in isolation!
(but the problem is, a lot the peaple who have them are look like "fools", because the iem stand out of the ears)

which iem are you talking about that stand out of the ears?  As for re0 vs rezero i won't be using an amp just the cowon j3 player and nothing else.  The zero you say has better mids and a little bit better soundstage, what about the highs?  Are they equivalent to the RE0 or worse?  They're basically just an improved version of the re0? 

Nov 3, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #11 of 29
I was talking about Etymotic. (Etymotic iems stands out of the ears) 
If you don´t want to use an amp then the Zero is the better choice but the RE0 have better highs.

Nov 3, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #12 of 29

Quote:
I was talking about Etymotic. (Etymotic iems stands out of the ears) 
If you don´t want to use an amp then the Zero is the better choice but the RE0 have better highs.

significantly better highs than the zero? and the zero has signficantly better mids?  I don't know what my preference would be whether to have better highs or mids can you give me a brief low down on what highs are for and mids are for?  haha sorry im a huge noob.

Nov 3, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #13 of 29
no, a little bit, in the end the RE0 and the Zero are very similar. 
you need the mids for instruments, expeasilly for guitars and vocals. (high mids for the vocals)
and the highs for the (little) details.

Nov 3, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #14 of 29

Quote:
no, a little bit, in the end the RE0 and the Zero are very similar. 
you need the mids for instruments, expeasilly for guitars and vocals. (high mids for the vocals)
and the highs for the (little) details.

ooo i love both mids and highs i want the best of both guitars and vocals!  i think what might decide it for me is that the re0 has a 1 year warranty and the re-zero has a 90 day warranty.  Do you own both of these earphones or this information is just from research?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back