S**t. I think I fried one of the 1212m analog outputs. Help!
Mar 22, 2006 at 7:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

InSides

100+ Head-Fier
Well, stupidly enough, I was messing around with some cables today, and I _think_ I have fried one of the analog outputs.

The weirdest thing is that there is still sound coming from that output, but it is much, much quieter than the other one.

I have tried swapping interconnects and checked the pream, to no avail.

Anything else I should try before I start searching for a new card?

Mar 22, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #2 of 14
Hey, I got the EXACT same issue twice, and I was wondering what the **** could cause that. Do you have any idea what you did that might have broken the card?
The only fix is sending the daughter card to emu for a replacement. Since they only change the daughter card they don t make a fuss about the replacement.
PS: no need to search for another card, as long as you don t point out your card is no longer under warranty they ll replace the IO card (must be cheap to make....), I offered to send my invoice to them but they didn t care.

Mar 22, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #3 of 14
I was afraid of that. Seeing that I can not return the card to E-MU from here, I am in the market. Again.

Mar 22, 2006 at 7:55 PM Post #4 of 14
What is your problem with shipping something to them?
Even if they don t have an office in your country, they ll have one in a neighboring country and it s not like it s going to be expensive to send the IO card...

Mar 22, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 14
I am thinking that they might have a problem with me not having an invoice of any kind. I will go ahead and ask the neighbouring office in Greece, but I highly doubt they'd be willing to do the swap.

No harm in asking, though... thanks for the tip.

Mar 23, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #6 of 14
This happened to me once before, and if you read the forums over at www.productionforums.com there are lots of ppl who have had the same thing happen.

I was able to fix it simply by doing one or combination of the following:

Restore Defaults for patchmix

In patchmix, play with balance sliders, move all the way to each side, re-centre.

I was able to fix it by just fiddling with patchmix a bit.

Mar 23, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #8 of 14
Yep, it is no configuration error. The right analog output is fried.

E-MU support has not been very helpful, either. Although I have specifically listed everything I tried, they sent out an email with the standard replies - check your drivers, check your IRQ's, check sessions...

Looks like I either wait for them to send me a return address, or I try and get an AudioDockM and turn the 1212m into a 1820m [I never needed that sync card anyway].

On another note, I am really missing my 1212m, and my current Audigy [blah] constantly reminds me of it. I do miss that analytical sound.
frown.gif

Mar 24, 2006 at 8:15 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by InSides
Well, stupidly enough, I was messing around with some cables today, and I _think_ I have fried one of the analog outputs.

The weirdest thing is that there is still sound coming from that output, but it is much, much quieter than the other one.

I have tried swapping interconnects and checked the pream, to no avail.

Anything else I should try before I start searching for a new card?

I had this happen recently (shortly after installing a custom cable that splits the signal to my speaker preamp and my hornet). First the left side went very quiet then they evened out (right side went quiet too). Everything seems fine, but now both sides are at a much lower volume. The odd thing is that this only does this when I use an unbalanced cable (I've tried a regular pair of RCA cables with 1/4" adapters as well). When I switch back to my Mogami balanced cables the signal is at full strength.
confused.gif

Mar 24, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by CSMR
My 0202 card may be up for grabs in a week for a reasonable price. Send me a PM if you haven't sorted things out by then.

Edit: I'm an idiot. Tried to be a know-it-all when talking with people that know more about the 1212m than I do. Retracted.

Mar 24, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firam
Don't you mean 0404?
wink.gif

The 1212m is a product that consists of two cards - the digital 1010, and the analog 0202 - hence the 1212 name [I think]. And it is exactly the 0202 I have fried.

The 0404 is a separate product altogether.

Apr 4, 2006 at 10:42 AM Post #14 of 14
Came home from work today only to find signal is left output signal noticably weaker than the right. Wasn't doing anything unusual (burning in the Hornet, but usual listening volumes and all it's doing is playing music). Ruled out by elimination/substitution: the heaphones, the amplifier(s), the cables, the patchmix controls (reloaded defaults, then loade original session, which has been fine since setup on day one). I also then messed about with the sliders as recommended above. This sucks. Guess I'm going to have to ring the Aussie representative of E-Mu tomorrow and hope they can repair it.

Always something broken! If it's not my car it's my stereo! GRRRRR. And for no apparent reason usually. *sigh*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back