S/PDIF drop-outs? Help!
Oct 7, 2009 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

wavoman

Headphoneus Supremus
This is twilight zone stuff -- I need help. Please!

The topic is S/PDIF. Connecting a Wadia iTransport to a Wadia DAC works perfectly. Connecting it to a Benchmark DAC-1 works perfectly. This is all with decent quality digital coax cables.

Now I want to run both DACs at the same time. I didn't want to open the Wadia DAC and change the internal jumper to enable pass-thru of the digital S/PDIF, so I bought instead a Sonifex Redbox RB-DDA6S S/PDIF digital distribution amplifier -- solid pro gear.

I connect the iTransport output to the input of the Redbox, and connect two of the outputs to the two DACS.

The BenchMark locks on to S/PDIF at 44.1 and performs perfectly. The Wadia DAC, however, locks on, but the music fades in and out ...maybe 1 second of outage for every 4 seconds of music -- not random, very predictable pattern.. And sometimes the Wadia DAC front-panel display flickers back and forth between "No Data" and "44.1"; sometimes the display stays fixed at 44.1 but the music fades in and out anyway.

And sometimes -- it works perfectly! Both DACs! Huh??

I have switched cables, switched ports on the Redbox, et. -- all to no avail.

Do you have any ideas why S/PDIF would fade in and out in that patterned way? Any clue that could point me in the right direction?

Note at all times the Benchmark works fine.

Thanks in advance for any insight, help, ideas, etc.

Oct 7, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #2 of 3
It sounds like the Wadia doesn't like something about the incoming signal from the distributor, perhaps it is too powerful or not powerful enough, I'm not sure all the possible parameters. But I don't think the Wadia is defective, nor is the amplifier. You may want to try a different brand of splitter/amplifier, because they are just incompatible.

Oct 8, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #3 of 3
OK, good idea. I found another S/PDIF splitter by Kramer (also a pro brand) ... a lot cheaper too, and it goes to 192, while the Sonifex only goes to 96. I ordered it ... under $200 total.

I'll try it. In the meantime, I think I will try comparing specs of the Wadia with the Benchmark and maybe from the spec sheets see a difference in some input sensitivity or something.

I also emailed Wadia tech support.

Thanks for your help! Very strange, this drop-out. Works sometimes!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back