S/PDIF coax to AES-EBU?
Jun 28, 2005 at 10:11 PM Post #3 of 4
I don't think anyone makes a cable that does this but there are at least 3 other ways you could do it:
1. There are coax to aes/ebu adapters that might work. I think Cardas makes one and there may be others made for the pro audio market. I'm not sure what the adapter does to the impedance of the cable, which might affect the sound quality.
2. I think there are switch boxes sold in pro audio dealers and catalogs that will enable you to do it. You will need both a spdif and aes/ebu cable.
3. Jitter reduction boxes by Monarchy and Audio Alchemy will also enable you to do it but you will need both cables.

Jul 4, 2005 at 12:33 PM Post #4 of 4
It will work most of the time. Depends mostly on the DAC, though most can recognize between a S/PDIF or AES/EBU signal. There are converters that go from XLR to RCA, just check which pin is hot, usually its pin 2. The Cardas works but is kinda costly. Check with microphone supplies. You can also make your own RCA/XLR cable for cheap. Don't worry about the 75/110 ohm unless you're doing something high-end or running long distances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back