S.M.S.L SU-9 DAC has dropped at SHENZHENAUDIO store timely, with ES9038PRO chip and MQA supported
Jul 6, 2021 at 5:05 AM Post #136 of 162
And the best part, you can still use EQ on ROON and its full 358khz MQA from SMSL SU-9. Its like magic now :p

Jul 6, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #137 of 162
Found fix. Uninstal ALL universal ASIO and Xcomos drivers. Restart computer. First instal SMSL SU-9 xcomos driver. Restart computer. Then instal ASIO for ALL. restart computer. Then go to ROON and select audio device USB DAC ASIO, open its settings, set as in photos and BOOM, now its doing its job fully :D
Thanks Superman! I'll have to bookmark this page and pickup later today, sleep time. I've been up most of the night accidentally listening to Hifiman Arya and Miles Davis, etc...

Jul 6, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #138 of 162
Sleep tight, ill listen my Hifiman Anandas :D

Jul 6, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #139 of 162
Decided to mod my SU-9. Annoying to open as the bottom plate on mine needed a little assistance to pop off.

Added fo.q ta102 tape to the top of the caps and on the pcb.
2021-07-02.jpg

Jul 27, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #140 of 162
What are you guys using in windows setting (bitrate etc) for the USB input on the SU9?

I use Qobuz, in exclusive mode it automatically sets the bitrate of the song (right?). But for other sources, like internet radio, youtube etc what would be the best bitrate in windows?

Jul 30, 2021 at 2:16 AM Post #141 of 162
What are you guys using in windows setting (bitrate etc) for the USB input on the SU9?

I use Qobuz, in exclusive mode it automatically sets the bitrate of the song (right?). But for other sources, like internet radio, youtube etc what would be the best bitrate in windows?
In Windows the highest bit depth available but only 44.1k bit-rate, so that the Windows mixer won't screw with the signal quality during up-sampling to the higher bitrates. Ex: 32 bit depth @ 44.1khz frequency/bitrate. Disable any sound enhancements in options and enable exclusive mode. On a different note, I just bought a couple better built and better quality USB cables and I swear the su-9 sounds much richer. I was previously using basic, cheap as dirt (and skinny) USB cables - thinking that it doesn't make a difference. A Monolith silver plated USB cable and an OCC copper silver plated one. They both sound much better than the skinny ones over my Hifiman Aryas. Am I going crazy?

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #142 of 162
In Windows the highest bit depth available but only 44.1k bit-rate, so that the Windows mixer won't screw with the signal quality during up-sampling to the higher bitrates. Ex: 32 bit depth @ 44.1khz frequency/bitrate. Disable any sound enhancements in options and enable exclusive mode. On a different note, I just bought a couple better built and better quality USB cables and I swear the su-9 sounds much richer. I was previously using basic, cheap as dirt (and skinny) USB cables - thinking that it doesn't make a difference. A Monolith silver plated USB cable and an OCC copper silver plated one. They both sound much better than the skinny ones over my Hifiman Aryas. Am I going crazy?
Thanks!

And yes, probably LMAO. On a similar note, I just bought a very cheap balanced headphone cable on aliexpress, and I thought the sound got more tinny. But while AB testing, I couldn't hear a difference. It is so hard to determine these differences.

Jul 30, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #143 of 162
Thanks!

And yes, probably LMAO. On a similar note, I just bought a very cheap balanced headphone cable on aliexpress, and I thought the sound got more tinny. But while AB testing, I couldn't hear a difference. It is so hard to determine these differences.
If it was silver plated copper and cheap, then I've heard that same tinny-ness. Then I bought another better cable for my Arya that was for a different headphone brand that was 8 core SPC and sounded tinny at first but has seemed to subside with time. Funny that.

Aug 2, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #144 of 162
USB cales cant make difference but different USB port can make difference if its settings are changed. Iw tested 500€ USB cable against my printer cable from 2004 and no differences at all. With STAX and smsl su-9 DAC.

Aug 2, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #145 of 162
USB cales cant make difference but different USB port can make difference if its settings are changed. Iw tested 500€ USB cable against my printer cable from 2004 and no differences at all. With STAX and smsl su-9 DAC.
IDK, the two newer USB cables that I bought to replace a cheap printer cable sure sound different than the cheap cable. Both of them are built well (thick but flexible) and have a smoother, much richer sound compared to the skinny no name one. I don't believe the cheap cable had the proper shielding, construction, or geometry. All the dropouts also stopped happening with the better cables and that tells me that the SMSL is happier with the better ones, no dropouts at all. USB cables are still analog cables and carry electrical power and signals that can be affected from the EMI/RFI nasties, high resistance, wrong impedance, and high capacitance that can all affect power and signal transmission if care is not taken to address that stuff. Doesn't have to be "audiophile approved" or $100+ dollars either, just built well with good materials. Long post, sorry.

Aug 2, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #146 of 162
I respect you view on subject but the scientific side is that if the data goes to dac and its not cutting off its 100% bit perfect. Sound files bitrates are about 1/100th of the USB 2.0 speeds. EMI/RFI can be issue but iw never hear one in desktop DACs, there is big risk when you take power from computers USB output and use USB connection for the data. In normal table DACs is very unlikely to happen, iw read/heard that on portable DACs that are connected to PC/computer can has nasty humings.

Aug 2, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #147 of 162
I respect you view on subject but the scientific side is that if the data goes to dac and its not cutting off its 100% bit perfect. Sound files bitrates are about 1/100th of the USB 2.0 speeds. EMI/RFI can be issue but iw never hear one in desktop DACs, there is big risk when you take power from computers USB output and use USB connection for the data. In normal table DACs is very unlikely to happen, iw read/heard that on portable DACs that are connected to PC/computer can has nasty humings.
No worries though. I've noticed the new, well built USB cables that I recently bought don't suffer from dropouts at all and to me sound richer and smoother vs the cheap, skinny one that they replaced. Proof is in the pudding (and the experience), so to speak, but I also value the scientific data. There's a scientific reason, probably that the newer cables are much better shielded, power from signal, from RFI/EMI, with a better dielectric, twisted pair differential silver-plated signal wires w/ true 90 ohm impedance, and more secure connectors. All of which has made transmission easier and reduced noise and interference to a level that makes the wire much quieter, and allows the signal and data to flow w/o loss or noise. Now bits are truly bits, no noise.

Feb 10, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #148 of 162
Hi Guys, I have had the SU-9 for a year now in DAC only mode with Topping Pre90 as the preamp to my NAD C298 Poweramp. Also had it reflashed for correcting the 3rd harmonic issue and it does sound great.

Having some more budget available now, I am wondering if more $$$ will buy me better sound, subjectively speaking. Has anyone heard/compared SU-9 with say topping D70S or SMSL D1SE or Gustard X16/18/26 pro, Chord Qutest etc. and did you find noticeable improvement in sound? I am not talking about different presentation but an actual improvement in sound quality, timbre, instrument separation etc.? I use speakers and so any differences would become more apparent than using Headphones

Thanks

Feb 10, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #149 of 162
Hi Guys, I have had the SU-9 for a year now in DAC only mode with Topping Pre90 as the preamp to my NAD C298 Poweramp. Also had it reflashed for correcting the 3rd harmonic issue and it does sound great.

Having some more budget available now, I am wondering if more $$$ will buy me better sound, subjectively speaking. Has anyone heard/compared SU-9 with say topping D70S or SMSL D1SE or Gustard X16/18/26 pro, Chord Qutest etc. and did you find noticeable improvement in sound? I am not talking about different presentation but an actual improvement in sound quality, timbre, instrument separation etc.? I use speakers and so any differences would become more apparent than using Headphones

Thanks
I think it depends on your taste and the type of music you listen to.

I had the su-9 and moved on to a Denafrips Ares II and had both for direct comparison for a few months. Its difficult to say if the sound quality is better. If you ask me, the su-9 delivers better ultimate resolution but it doesn't have the musicality, dynamics, transients, soundstage, imaging, depth of the Ares II. Its kind of missing the intangibles imo. But definitely I would say the su-9 is more resolving. If I can describe the sound from the su-9 has a defined edge to it while the Ares II has a hazy smoothness to it. Theres also a feeling of the sound feeling compressed by comparison.

The curiosity and allure of the r2r drove me to purchase the Ares II and I haven't looked back. The only thing I regret is not getting it earlier when it was a couple hundred dollars cheaper. Su-9 is a really good dac, especially for the price but the Ares II is alot better at matching my preferences. If ultimate resolution is your preference, I think the su-9 or any of the delta sigma dacs you mentioned might be a better match. The higher end r2r dacs can probably be just as resolving but as Rhianna once said, "I tried to buy your pretty heart, but the price too hiiiighiiigghhiiiiggghiiiigghh" 😢

Just my 2 cents if it helps you with your decision.

Feb 11, 2022 at 12:28 AM Post #150 of 162
I think it depends on your taste and the type of music you listen to.

I had the su-9 and moved on to a Denafrips Ares II and had both for direct comparison for a few months. Its difficult to say if the sound quality is better. If you ask me, the su-9 delivers better ultimate resolution but it doesn't have the musicality, dynamics, transients, soundstage, imaging, depth of the Ares II. Its kind of missing the intangibles imo. But definitely I would say the su-9 is more resolving. If I can describe the sound from the su-9 has a defined edge to it while the Ares II has a hazy smoothness to it. Theres also a feeling of the sound feeling compressed by comparison.

The curiosity and allure of the r2r drove me to purchase the Ares II and I haven't looked back. The only thing I regret is not getting it earlier when it was a couple hundred dollars cheaper. Su-9 is a really good dac, especially for the price but the Ares II is alot better at matching my preferences. If ultimate resolution is your preference, I think the su-9 or any of the delta sigma dacs you mentioned might be a better match. The higher end r2r dacs can probably be just as resolving but as Rhianna once said, "I tried to buy your pretty heart, but the price too hiiiighiiigghhiiiiggghiiiigghh" 😢

Just my 2 cents if it helps you with your decision.
I often think about going R2R but may need to wait till I afford at least the Pontus II and untill there is a proper preamp that measures like the Topping Pre90 and has compatibility with higher output impedence DACs. Currently Pre90 only allows for DACs with output impedence of no more than 2200kohms. The Ares or Pontus has much higher output impedence and isn't compatible with the Pre90. That means one needs a clean preamp to go with the Denafrips DACs and another preamp plus the Ares II would eat up the budget...yeah, that Rihanna song!

From what I read, there is little benefit of improving on Delta Sigma DACs...RME ADI2 does come to mind, though!

Any suggested preamp to go with the Ares/Pontus?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back