s:flo2 LO > Cardas IC > iBasso T3D > ???
Aug 13, 2010 at 11:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

MPSchenck

New Head-Fier
Ok so I gave my last iPod away a while back can kind of been putting off looking for something else. After researching here I quickly bought an s:flo2 16gb, which I haven't listened to yet, and got a good deal on an iBasso T3D.  I got the 6" Cardas 3.5 mini-to-mini interconnect coming from HeadRoom.  I also found a great deal on an open box set of Jays q-Jays but they were open box because the left side was DOA, so I promptly returned then for a refund (free return shipping).

Now I happen to be in the market for a great pair of IEMs.  I have a pair of Bose in-ears whatevertheyarecalled, and they pretty much sound like *insert expletive here*.  I will say my first (and only) venture into good headphones was when I bought my Denon D2000s and I love'em.  I want something that sounds as good or better.  Really I want something that I think is impossible.  I want to hear the the lows, mids, and highs equally well (balanced?), but I dearly, dearly need to hear (not feel) the bass drum hit and the lowest bass guitar vibrations.  

I have wide tastes in music excluding classical and modern country. I really like northern European electronica with vocals, like the Norwegians Royksopp and Erland Oye.  Its all very, very  clean.  However, my reference CD is Portishead - Roseland NYC Live with beautiful vocals, with a DJ, live band all backed-up by none other than the New York Philharmonic Orchestra.  Specifically the song Glory Box.  The better that song sounds the better the headphones or IEMs, in this case.   

Anyway, I'm taking all suggestions as I know from reading these forums for awhile it will be anything but unanimous.  I don't really want to go more than $300 but less than $200 would be great.   

Aug 14, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #2 of 18
I would check out the Monster Coppers ($210-$260) or Radius DDM ($160-$170 in black or red).  I would also say the DBA-02 ($150) but I have not heard it and can't say how low it goes but you probably wont feel the lows.  The SM3 bass was good but not good enough IMO.  Not sure if you are worried about overdone Bass or really don't want to feel it which seems like an odd request to me.  I haven't really heard an IEM yet that can do those Bass guitar vibrations w/ any feel or impact.    

Aug 14, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #4 of 18

Quote:
I would check out the Monster Coppers ($210-$260)...   

I have totally been been studying those and then saying to myself "Nah", but later I think "Well, maybe?"

Quote:
Not sure if you are worried about overdone Bass or really don't want to feel it which seems like an odd request to me.  I haven't really heard an IEM yet that can do those Bass guitar vibrations w/ any feel or impact.    

I love hearing that bass hit, but I do kinda think that feeling may be overpowering in IEMs.  I honestly don't know.  

I will say this as well. I have read every word of "Multi-IEM Review - 98 IEMs compared" by ljokerl, and like it because it is the same person reviewing all of them and very methodical, but it hasn't help make up my mind. 

Aug 15, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #5 of 18
I was expecting a bunch of "try these", "try those"... or at least some "+1", but this is a little disappointing. 

Suggestions so far...

Monster Turbine Pro Coppers
Radius DDM
DBA-02 - maybe
RE0
IE8

Anybody got anything else?

Aug 15, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #8 of 18

Quote:
I think a lot of people don't know what to make of your bass preference.  

IEM: Miles Davis/Copper/Gold

I know everyone says the D2000 are too bass heavy but I like their signature.  Maybe just IEMs that replicate that sound.  That's why I stuck, I just don't know that much about IEMs.

It looks like from your sig you like the Monsters.  Would you suggest one of the Pros for me?   

Aug 15, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #9 of 18

Quote:
I would disregard the RE0s and DBAs based on your bass preferences.

I have read enough about the RE0 to know they aren't for me.  They get great reviews but their sound signature is never described as something I would like. 

Aug 15, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #10 of 18

Quote:
I know everyone says the D2000 are too bass heavy but I like their signature.  Maybe just IEMs that replicate that sound.  That's why I stuck, I just don't know that much about IEMs.

It looks like from your sig you like the Monsters.  Would you suggest one of the Pros for me?   

The Monster MDs would be one for best for bass, I'm still wary of recommending them to you since I can't really grasp the sound you want.  I haven't heard the D2000.  For almost half the price you should consider the Radius DDM I think.  With its larger driver I think it has a better ability to render that bass you want w/ less impact.  The Monsters might be trickier to modulate bass wise.  Especially if you like lower listening volumes.  They like power and once you give them power they can punch a bit.  If you get the DDM they wont be too difficult to sell if you find they aren't what you were looking for.  At least you will have a reference.  

Aug 15, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #11 of 18
If you want anything similar in bass with the D2000 then I'd take the RE0 and DBA-02 right off your list.

Also with an amp low volume listening shouldn't really be an issue imo.

Aug 15, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #12 of 18
Go for the DDM. Well balanced, and the kick from bass drums is amazing.

Also, do you really need the iBasso? The s:flo headphone out should be great as is.

Aug 16, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #15 of 18
Ok, I just ordered the Radius DDMs from ALO Audio.  We will see how things turn out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back