S:flo2 impressions thread
Jan 31, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #3,631 of 3,682
The "Normal" preset EQ is not flat and it also boosts the signal level which can cause distortion. Setting the "User EQ" all to zero gives the best sound quality. I am sure I'm not the only S:Flo2 survivor.

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #3,632 of 3,682
The "Normal" preset EQ is not flat and it also boosts the signal level which can cause distortion. Setting the "User EQ" all to zero gives the best sound quality. I am sure I'm not the only S:Flo2 survivor.

Thanks for all your help.

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #3,633 of 3,682
BurnwayGTA4 is piece of ****.

I have sent him my S:flo2 year ago also I sent him $130 via PayPal. He didn't get back to me since he announced that he broke my PCB.

Very nice.

now he is "burnway" active 4 days ago..
can somebody get him out of here?

Feb 12, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #3,635 of 3,682
It's quite difficult. Probably worse than opening an iPod 6/7Gen and they are not easy. You need a thin edge (plastic or a blade) to gradually prise the rear cover off. Be very careful if using a sharp knife. At some points along each side are these 'tabs' for want of a better word. There is however no way to unhook them from the outside. Be careful and patient when prising the back off. You will undoubtedly distort and scratch the rear casing in your efforts to detach it from the cover. I use pliers to re-bend the rear casing into shape after the distortion of removal. Perhaps there is a better way that causes less damage/grief. Inside is very neat but the only wires I remember were the battery connection. I would be wary of disconnecting the display as they have a habit of failure when disturbed.

Apr 11, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #3,636 of 3,682
For members in Australia who never got a chance to try the famous S:Flo2, I'm selling my unit atm. I've had my time with the player and cutting back on some gear, so its your gain. It truly is a wonderful device especially its features and sound quality. 

Links in my signature. 

Apr 11, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #3,637 of 3,682
A true bargain at $65 AUD. Someone was trying to flog one of these recently from the US I think and wanted about £150+p&p+import duties for lucky UK residents.

Apr 11, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #3,638 of 3,682
A true bargain at $65 AUD. Someone was trying to flog one of these recently from the US I think and wanted about £150+p&p+import duties for lucky UK residents.

I agree, feels like I'm almost giving it away for the performance it puts out and features (no sales punt intended here). I had this listed on eBay for a few weeks prior and no one seems to know what it is or what its actually capable of. Put that with how rare they're now in working order I can't believe its still here with me. 

Apr 11, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #3,639 of 3,682

I agree, feels like I'm almost giving it away for the performance it puts out and features (no sales punt intended here). I had this listed on eBay for a few weeks prior and no one seems to know what it is or what its actually capable of. Put that with how rare they're now in working order I can't believe its still here with me. 

I had a serious freak out when I saw that for sale man ... 

I'm in the US and was about to offer you $150 .. LOL ... that's how bad I miss the S:flo 2 ... decided against it, though as didn't want to hassle with Intl shipping and not solder skilled (to change the battery eventually) ...

S:flo 2/Arrow amp combo = best portable I've ever heard ... recently had a DX90 and it was good but didn't have the sheer detail and sound stage of the S:flo 2 ... I hoped it would, since it uses the dual DAC architecture like the S:flo ... but the same magic wasn't there ...

Moved to a Cowon J3 after the S:flo and was appalled at how bad it sounded compared to the S:flo ... now, after a few years? Still with the J3?  I'd never know the difference as I've grown used to it ... but I certainly remember that day that I moved over to the J3 and how bummed I was that it was so much worse.

First thing I thought when I heard the S:flo 2 was, "Wow, this is like *desktop good* ..." LOL ...

I don't think Teclast realizes how much of a hit it would be if they spent serious time ironing out all the little problems of the previous S:flo and re released it ... 

Alas, one can dream.

:wink:

Apr 11, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #3,640 of 3,682

I had a serious freak out when I saw that for sale man ... 

I'm in the US and was about to offer you $150 .. LOL ... that's how bad I miss the S:flo 2 ... decided against it, though as didn't want to hassle with Intl shipping and not solder skilled (to change the battery eventually) ...

S:flo 2/Arrow amp combo = best portable I've ever heard ... recently had a DX90 and it was good but didn't have the sheer detail and sound stage of the S:flo 2 ... I hoped it would, since it uses the dual DAC architecture like the S:flo ... but the same magic wasn't there ...

Moved to a Cowon J3 after the S:flo and was appalled at how bad it sounded compared to the S:flo ... now, after a few years? Still with the J3?  I'd never know the difference as I've grown used to it ... but I certainly remember that day that I moved over to the J3 and how bummed I was that it was so much worse.

First thing I thought when I heard the S:flo 2 was, "Wow, this is like *desktop good* ..." LOL ...

I don't think Teclast realizes how much of a hit it would be if they spent serious time ironing out all the little problems of the previous S:flo and re released it ... 

Alas, one can dream.

:wink:

Knowing the story I would have safely shipped it to you too, but the unit sold a few hours ago. 
frown.gif

I had the J3 (just sold it as well) and S:Flo2 side by side, I agree with your findings between the two, especially when you take advantage of S:Flo2's line out. I understand you've tried DX90 though I'd probably consider getting a DX50 and amping from that or, if you ever see a cheap Studio V double amp from headphone out setting the volume to 28/31. It sounds 'similar' to the S:Flo2 that clean, clear detail. I seem to have better results and it would be my choice over S:Flo2, particularly on firmware 1.2.8. (DX50)

Even XDuoo X2 I find to have a family resemblance. Cowon J3 is too smooth, not aggressive enough in detail retrieval. 

Jul 13, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #3,642 of 3,682
If you go to mp4nation's forum there is a forum for Nationite Consumer Electronics Discussion and also a sub-forum for Firmware. The latest version for the S:Flo2 is 2.30. I have always flashed the firmware using Nationite's image. I could never get the Teclast firmware to work. Hence my Teclast T51 has turned into a Nationite S:Flo2. There is also a guide on how to update the firmware by Maderin or some similar name. A bit tricky and not for the faint hearted. I find using the reset button (upper left of player) can revive a bricked player and can also start the flashing process.

Jul 13, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #3,644 of 3,682
Yes unfortunately the 2.30 firmware link doesn't function but the 1.20 old version seems to work. You might try a search for Nationite V230 and see if that gives any results.

Jul 13, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #3,645 of 3,682
This is the Teclast firmware which might help http://www.mediafire.com/?ooc0na8sua55w1m

Users who are viewing this thread

Back