RX900 Vs. AD700 - Unamped, Gaming/Music?
Nov 18, 2008 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

zzbloopzz

Head-Fier
I've been reading these forums for numerous hours this week. I keep wanting to up my budget because of you guys :c), however I have settled down to no more then $150 shipped. Basically looking for best bang for my buck.

I will be playing FPS games and casually listening to electronica/vocals. No movies. I want a good soundstage for gaming. I will be using the cans unamped, which both of these headphones will be fine with.

If both were the same price, which would you guys go for and why? I don't mind modding the RX900's.

Thanks!

Nov 18, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by zzbloopzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been reading these forums for numerous hours this week. I keep wanting to up my budget because of you guys :c), however I have settled down to no more then $150 shipped. Basically looking for best bang for my buck.

I will be playing FPS games and casually listening to electronica/vocals. No movies. I want a good soundstage for gaming. I will be using the cans unamped, which both of these headphones will be fine with.

If both were the same price, which would you guys go for and why? I don't mind modding the RX900's.

Thanks!

"Open" headphones (AD700) are usually considered better then "Closed" headphones (RX900).
You can get the JVC HA-RX900s for about 60% the price of the Audio Technica ATH-AD700s.
My JVC HA-RX900s are still on back order.

Nov 18, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #4 of 10
What are you gaming on? Console or PC? If it's a console and since your on a budget I would go with the HA-RX700 modded with lightly stuffed AD900 pads and a JVC SU-DH1 dolby headphone amp/adapter. Your total? Around $140.00 give or take before tax and shipping.

Oh yeah I forgot the cost of the AD900 pads which are like $18.00. Man, thats half the price of the RX700's
very_evil_smiley.gif
. I'm waiting for my RX900's to come on Wednesday so I cant comment on those for gaming.

Nov 18, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #5 of 10
Oh, and the RX700's are semi-open which makes the sound stage pretty wide. I know the packaging doesn't say they are semi-open but, the phones leak noise and you can hear yourself speak quite clearly. If you look in the space between the outside cup with the JVC logo and the chrome ring you can see a few open slots. With the stock pads the sound stage is big left to right but there isn't much dept front and back.

With the slightly stuffed AD900 pads however I believe the front and back dept has improved a bit along with a tighter bass plus improved mids and highs.

Nov 18, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #6 of 10
I'm not that experienced w/ many hi quality headphones but I have the A700's.
THEY ARE AWESOME! So.. I think they must be similar to the AD700's. Pretty much, the isolation is great and the bass is ridiculous (if your into it). I would imagine counterstrike to sound amazing but I stopped playing games a bit ago and if i start i'll get addicted again.

Neways.. the A700's aren't nearly as clear as my head-direct RE2's (obvious reasons) but it sounds more rich and full. The sound is loud but when it is on your head, the music does not leak unless you have it on a high volume.

To put it briefly, here is my review of the A700's which would relate to the AD700's.

comfort - 5/5 (I have a big head)
portability - 3/5 (i wear them everywhere though and have no problems. Don't expect to jog w/ them lol)
looks - 3/5 (I think they look tight but they are big. You might care but I don't at all)
bass- 5/5 (really powerful)
clarity - 3/5 (it's still really good. These aren't made to be analytic phones)
value- 6/5? (I've been researching phones forever and ended up w/ these; no regrets)

pros-
rich, full, surround sound
bass
pretty good clarity
comfort is very good
good value

cons- (for me)
chord is long
would be better if it was more crisp sounding but it would also increase the price by a lot
gigantic (i'm just a cool cat. Hopefully you can pull them off in public. If any of my friends tease me, I tell them try them and case closed. They don't know crap about audiophile stuff but its pretty obvious that it sounds good; I don't know much either)

Nov 18, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #7 of 10
Portability is a nono with open headphones unless you like blasting your music and having other people listen to your music. Bass is a bit weak on the AD700, IMHO, but an amp should fix that up. Clarity is great. I would give it at least a 4 out of 5.

Nov 18, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Portability is a nono with open headphones unless you like blasting your music and having other people listen to your music. Bass is a bit weak on the AD700, IMHO, but an amp should fix that up. Clarity is great. I would give it at least a 4 out of 5.

Clarity based on what? Other phones you owned?

Nov 18, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #9 of 10
I don't own much except the HARX900 with a Cmoy, considering I just got into Head-Fi. But I have tried the AD700, A900 and the HD555 as well as some Koss that I don't remember. Lol. The AD700 are only $100 headphones after all. You can't expect insanely awesome clarity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back