RWADX90 Interest Thread - Balanced DX90 Mod by Vinnie at Red Wine Audio
May 18, 2014 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43
Hi Everyone,

So I have been trying to talk up interest for this in the DX90 thread, but I believe this has way more interest out in the wide world of head-fi than the DX90 thread can give. Here's the basic idea:

(image from iBasso's site)

The DX90 is a Dual-DAC ES9018K2M player with a fantastic sounding implementation that quite a few have said (as I have) sounds better than a stock AK120. The only thing lacking, in many of our eyes, is a balanced output. I spoke to Vinnie at RWA  and he wondered about the interest. I stated what I think many of us would, that being "if you build it, they will come". He said that if I could generate 10 persons worth of interest in the mod, he'd work on making a fully-balanced output mod for the player. In discussing a bit of the basic topology, he has stated that the cost will likely be around $300, or just a bit more and that a TRRS jack would be added in addition to the included ports (since the included jacks are far too small). 

I think that the economics/performance of this completed player would really change the portable player scene. This mod would allow people to have a fully-balanced capable, DSD & PCM 24/192 ready, clean and compact player for the cost of $800 or less. That would absolutely DESTROY the AK100 for value/performance, as well as the AK120. 

All my blathering aside, below is the list of people interested. Please respond to the thread or PM me if you'd be interested in this mod. Once this list reaches 10 people, I will ship my personal DX90 to Vinnie to research the mod. Once it is successfully completed, Vinnie should be able to create a production mod.

1.Kojaku
2. tin427
3. AmberOzL
4. wickson
5. gongos
6. nc8000
7. azarel
8. CracKinGDucK

All the Best,

Kojaku

May 18, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #2 of 43
Oh and btw, this is an interest check, NOT A GROUP BUY. So don't feel obligated to feel like you're signing your soul away. If you're interested in seeing this mod come to production, just let me know.

Kojaku

May 19, 2014 at 3:52 AM Post #5 of 43

This mod would allow people to have a fully-balanced capable, DSD & PCM 24/192 ready, clean and compact player for the cost of $800 or less. That would absolutely DESTROY the AK100 for value/performance, as well as the AK120. 

Who cares about the AK100, when there is the new Ak100II coming soon that will have balanced output, DSD, Wifi, 64gb inbuilt + microSD and a 3.3" screen. So it has a bunch more features for only $100 or so more than a balanced DX90 meaning AK100II is either equal or ahead in value/performance depending on how it sounds, but the DX90 does have dual dac 9018k2m going for it. If your really after balanced output, then the AK100II is probably worth waiting  for. If you already have a DX90 (I do) then by all means get it balanced if you like 
biggrin.gif

May 19, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #6 of 43
So just to be clear. Is he intending to add an extra output for the balanced line out or will it replace the existing single ended line out ?

May 19, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #7 of 43
Is there a chance to increase the capacity? Currently 8 gb + micro sd slot, which is pathetic if you ask me. I would pay more for 128 gb + micro sd slot or 8 gb + micro sd slot + normal sd slot.

Can Vinnie do it?

Also, balanced mod will add 3 mm TRRS headphone out right? What about balanced line out?

May 19, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #9 of 43
I'm pretty sure we are talking a 3,5 mm (1/8") TRRS balanced line out for this mod and nothing else

May 19, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #10 of 43
I'm pretty sure we are talking a 3,5 mm (1/8") TRRS balanced line out for this mod and nothing else
I'm not sure whether it is a balanced phone out or a balanced line out.

May 19, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #13 of 43
Balanced phone out I'm not interested in and with my limited understanding don't think is possible but I could well be wrong

May 19, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #14 of 43
I might be up for this if the standard phone out is left in tact. And if its a balanced phone out were talking about, but for $300 I would kinda expect balanced phone and line out, mighty expensive lol.

May 19, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #15 of 43
I might be up for this if the standard phone out is left in tact. And if its a balanced phone out were talking about, but for $300 I would kinda expect balanced phone and line out, mighty expensive lol.

Agreed - for that kind of money, I'd want a balanced phone-out, not just a TRRS socket and jumper wires for balanced line-out, but I doubt the mod will be for anything more than BLO, sadly.

As for the RWA pricing, well... I expected as much:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/697035/ibasso-dx90-dual-sabre-1st-page-to-reformat-and-fw-download-new-fw-available/5160#post_10554943

Users who are viewing this thread

Back