#$#$$ Rust
Jul 9, 2002 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

disturbed

500+ Head-Fier
I bought this spanking good mountain bike with good suspension and the works for a steal. Little did I know that there was a catch.

Any part of the bike which is not painted or covered properly rusts. The rust isnt so bad but it has the potential to ... soon it might eat this lovely away and *crack*
frown.gif

I see a good amout of rust which looks like freckles for now.
Any suggestions on DIY way of removing it and preventing oxidation.

I personally think I should use sandpaper and then paint over.
Unless you guys have some other suggestions.
Just keep one thing in mind ... a lot of the chemicals in hardware stores that I used to take for granted in USA are not available so suggest something simple but effective
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 9, 2002 at 7:31 PM Post #2 of 11
Emery or sand paper works well if you can be sure and remove all traces of rust. If you can find it the paintable rust converter chemicals work pretty well. The important thing is to get all the rust or it will start again under the paint. To give your job a better chance of lasting use a zinc rich primer before your top coats. Sand blasting if available is another good means of rust removal before primer and painting.

Jul 9, 2002 at 10:19 PM Post #3 of 11
Rust Converter .. got it. Now the hunt begins.

Any other suggestions anyone?

Also ... does anyone suggest any particular type of paint as this is going to be for a bike
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 9, 2002 at 10:32 PM Post #4 of 11
never used it on a bike, but Hammerite is rock solid stuff. get the rust off, paint it over and it should be fine. usefullnes depends on what parts you are going to use it on tho. keeping the exposed stuff oily should help too.

Jul 9, 2002 at 10:58 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Braver
never used it on a bike, but Hammerite is rock solid stuff. get the rust off, paint it over and it should be fine. usefullnes depends on what parts you are going to use it on tho. keeping the exposed stuff oily should help too.

Its the frame thats rusting ... even the middle of the handle bar is rusting ..

Jul 9, 2002 at 11:12 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by disturbed
Rust Converter .. got it. Now the hunt begins.

Any other suggestions anyone?

Also ... does anyone suggest any particular type of paint as this is going to be for a bike
smily_headphones1.gif

The guy at the bike shop I go to does some home bike painting. He swears by Krylon engine paint...the same stuff the graffiti writers use. Strip your bike down, then spray it with Krylon, then hang it on your washing line in the sun (for maximum holding power, Krylon should be baked, but I doubt you have that facility).

I'm sure in the UAE you should get plenty of sun...

Jul 10, 2002 at 12:28 AM Post #8 of 11
Use lots of zinc rich primer before you paint. Sort of a cheap galvanizing.

Better still, if you can get it, is zinc chromate primer. It's green or yellow, and maybe you can find it around a marine maintenance facility or aircraft maintenance facility. Fantastic stuff.

Jul 10, 2002 at 10:29 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by elipsis

I'm sure in the UAE you should get plenty of sun...

45 - 55 Degrees Centigrate according to this outdoor thermometer I've got
frown.gif

Scrambled eggs anyone?

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone. Now I must decide which method will be effective and less time consuming
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2002 at 7:22 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by elipsis
A friend of mine is an archaeology academic, and has done a lot of work in the UAE. You mentioned that you moved over there...any particular reason?

Family Business: Gold

Users who are viewing this thread

Back