Russ Andrews headphone ext cable
Sep 19, 2002 at 8:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Rob N

Headphoneus Supremus
In the UK Russ Andrews Accessories have just introduced a headphone ext cable in lengths from 2m to 5m which can be supplied terminated with mini plugs/sockets or 1/4 plugs/sockets. The price of the 2m version is £68-00 it uses Kimber PBJ cable.

I am going to order one to try (they do a 30 day money back guarantee if not satisfied)

www.russandrews.com

info@russandrews.com

Oct 10, 2002 at 12:31 PM Post #2 of 8
Received this ext cable today.

The cable is some what thicker than the Grado ext cable,the 1/4" plug is massive (although not gold plated,perhaps nickel plated?) the socket end is also big and is of a locking type

I will post more after it's fully 'burnt in'

Oct 11, 2002 at 8:57 AM Post #5 of 8
My initial impression (after only 12 hrs of burn in) is of a of pretty smooth sound with good sound stage but the treble at present is a little bright,hopefully this will improve.

More later

Oct 11, 2002 at 9:23 AM Post #6 of 8
BTW I'm using a MF Nuvista CD,Earmax Pro & Grado RS1. The only other ext cable I've used is the 15' Grado one.

Oct 22, 2002 at 8:58 AM Post #7 of 8
I've been using this cable for about 12 days now so it should have fully burnt in (although Russ Andrews always recommends 500hrs of 'burn in' which is a bit excessive!)

First off I must state that I find the differences between interconnect cables of different types and values to be relatively small, (once you pass the £60 mark) this also applies to this cable.
Compared to the Grado cable the sound is just a bit smoother and,on very careful listening, the soundstage is marginally wider and deeper.I found these observations to apply whatever the genre of music (classical,rock.dance,reggae,pop).I would say that if you want to get the most out of your phones it's worth a try but the difference from the Grado cable is quite small. Having said that I will probably keep this cable.

Oct 22, 2002 at 11:37 PM Post #8 of 8
FWIW, I owned the actual PBJ extension cable from Headroom and was not overly fond of it. This cable is weak and can't handle much bending/unbending, nor could it survive the nibbles of my cable-munching cat. Sound quality was nothing to write home about either. Since I've tried so many extensions, here's a thread I started to try to consolidate all headphone extension cable reviews:
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...hone+extension

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back