Rupert Neve Designs Announces The RNHP: Precision Headphone Amplifier
Apr 7, 2016 at 6:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 522

bizkid

1000+ Head-Fier
More headphone related news from the Musikmesse germany:

New for 2016, Rupert Neve Designs has announced the RNHP: Precision Headphone Amplifier, displayed first at Musikmesse in Frankfurt, Germany.
Based on the headphone output circuitry from their 5060 Centerpiece Desktop Mixer, the RNHP is a dedicated 24V reference-quality headphone amplifier with level & impedance- calibrated +4dBu Line, unbalanced RCA, and 3.5mm inputs, housed in a rugged VESA- mountable steel chassis. It is designed with near-zero output impedance and high- power, high-headroom circuitry to drive any headphones on the market without compromise.

From Rupert Neve Designs: “Whether you’re tracking, mixing, or just listening to music, your headphone amplifier is as important to the final sound quality as your headphones - yet the world is full of headphone amps with compromised sonics, headroom, and power. To address these shortcomings and provide a new level of clarity, Rupert and his team have developed the RNHP.”

The RNHP will begin shipping in late May 2016, with an MSRP of $549 USD. For more on the RNHP, please visit Home - Rupert Neve

Apr 12, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #3 of 522
Rupert Neve is an audio god. I need this in my life!

Apr 12, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 522
Love that it has 3 isolated inputs (XLR, RCA, 3.5mm) with a separate front panel switch for each one.  Nice!

Jun 4, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #6 of 522
Well, it found its way to me today. Burning in.

Jun 5, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #7 of 522

So any impressions on how it sounds?

I have been eying this the past few months but there have been no reviews whatsoever. It seems more geared towards audio engineers but it sounds like it would also be good for home use. Keep us posted :) 

Jun 5, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #8 of 522

So any impressions on how it sounds?

I have been eying this the past few months but there have been no reviews whatsoever. It seems more geared towards audio engineers but it sounds like it would also be good for home use. Keep us posted :) 

Sounds great. It's better than my UD503 (using single end) driving HD650. However my unit has a faulty (likely) power adapter. The 2nd morning I got the power light blinking. I used another adapter and the problem is gone. I put all my audio gear plugged into an APC H10 unit. I don't think it's my power quality that caused the problem.

The original adapter is a cincon product you can get from mouser for $11 USD. http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Cincon/TRG10R240-11E03-Level-VI/?qs=P8zB4ONU6fwRotUTMYHPbw%3d%3d. It is a class VI unit that complies with 2016 US standards. Perhaps it's all because it's new. 

However I haven't compare adapters I used to notice any difference in sound. One is not working so I cannot.

Jun 6, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #9 of 522

Hmm, sorry to heart about the power adapter. Wall warts always sort of bum me out. I wish the unit had a built in linear power supply. I wonder if there are any external units that would work. Have you contacted Neve Designs about the problem?

Jun 6, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #10 of 522
Hmm, sorry to heart about the power adapter. Wall warts always sort of bum me out. I wish the unit had a built in linear power supply. I wonder if there are any external units that would work. Have you contacted Neve Designs about the problem?

Sweetwater is under way replacing the unit. Neve hasn't emailed me back yet. I have an apc h10. I dont believe it should burn.

Jun 14, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #12 of 522
I'm honestly shocked that more people aren't trying this unit out. I might have to bite the bullet and give them a spin. 
I think that people in the hi-fi world just aren't aware of what an audio god Rupert Neve is. As a 20 year studio guy I've worked on several Neve consoles that were $250k and up. Rupert knows his stuff. This amp is at the top of my wish list.

Jun 15, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #13 of 522
The RNHP makes an appearance in Jude's video breakdown of Focal's latest flagship open back headphones. Hopefully he gives his impressions soon. Check around the 33 minute mark. 

There is a pretty positive review here where the author compares is favorably to a Grace M9XX and an SPL Phonitor: http://www.sonicscoop.com/2016/06/14/new-gear-review-rupert-neve-designs-rnhp-precision-headphone-amplifier/

I have also PM'd Jude about his RNHP impressions. I'm curious to hear what he thinks. 

Jun 27, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #15 of 522
  I've just ordered this amp to try it out.  fingers crossed it a good one!!

Please let us know what you think of it.  Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back