Rupert Neve Designs Announces The RNHP: Precision Headphone Amplifier
Jan 30, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #451 of 522
It's such an enjoyable amp it really bothers me that the power output is so low and I can't take it with me when I upgrade to higher quality headphones. Paying $5000 for their next most expensive amp maxes out at 1W only. Pathetic in a world where planar magnetics are so popular.

Feb 1, 2023 at 11:17 PM Post #452 of 522
As in 24/7 365? So I would take it that you noticed too!

Another tip for anyone that it may concern. The volume pot becomes linear at around 10 o'clock. If you can adjust your gain staging so that your average listening level is right above that at least, you will have better imaging and L R balance.
Yes, 24/7, 365.
To me it is more detailed and dynamic when warm or in a steady state

Apr 2, 2023 at 5:19 AM Post #453 of 522
Has anyone tried this with AryaV2 - Is it powerful enough? I like to own a Rupert Neve headamp, because of his legacy. RIP

EDIT: Damn it, I just saw a video saying not forget to unplug headphones first before shutting of - and not to plug the headphone in before it is turned.

= loud popping sounds.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #454 of 522
Has anyone tried this with AryaV2 - Is it powerful enough? I like to own a Rupert Neve headamp, because of his legacy. RIP

EDIT: Damn it, I just saw a video saying not forget to unplug headphones first before shutting of - and not to plug the headphone in before it is turned.

= loud popping sounds.
Can confirm the RNHP emits popping sounds when powering on or off.
Loud enough to be heard across the room with sensitive headphones not on my head. 😬
I also found it to be underpowered for some headphones. Woefully so in some cases.
But matched with efficient headphones that work best with low impedance outputs (Fostex TH909 for example) it was glorious.
Alas, due to the popping and lack of power mine is back in its box, unused.

Apr 2, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #455 of 522
Loud enough to be heard across the room with sensitive headphones not on my head. 😬
I also found it to be underpowered for some headphones. Woefully so in some cases.
But matched with efficient headphones that work best with low impedance outputs (Fostex TH909 for example) it was glorious.
How is this possible for a Rupert Neve product I really dont understand.

Did they not even listen to this amp and think - "whats that poppin sound dude?"

Apr 2, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #456 of 522
I understand the popping sound, shouldn't be there for sure. It doesn't bother me because I have always done what they advert in the instructions.

Regarding the power, in my case it is the total opposite. I wish it had a gain switch. With my Grados and Meze I hardly can go above the 9 o'clock on the volume knob without risking of damaging my earring. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :L3000:

Apr 3, 2023 at 12:33 AM Post #457 of 522
I understand the popping sound, shouldn't be there for sure. It doesn't bother me because I have always done what they advert in the instructions.

Regarding the power, in my case it is the total opposite. I wish it had a gain switch. With my Grados and Meze I hardly can go above the 9 o'clock on the volume knob without risking of damaging my earring. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :L3000:
I’ve used mine first with Hifiman Edition X and now with Focal Clear Mg. Both high efficiency, low impedance with excellent sound.
The popping is annoying. I just keep my amp on all of the time. It also sounds better when it is stable and warm.

Apr 3, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #458 of 522
How is this possible for a Rupert Neve product I really dont understand.

Did they not even listen to this amp and think - "whats that poppin sound dude?"
If I was to guess I’d think it’s because it’s aimed at the pro audio market where headphones aren’t likely to be swapped out often and/or it would be powered on all the time.
They’re aware of it as we’re warned about it in the manual.

This isn’t the only amp I’ve had that pops going on or off but it’s mos def the loudest popper.

Apr 3, 2023 at 3:59 AM Post #459 of 522
If I was to guess I’d think it’s because it’s aimed at the pro audio market where headphones aren’t likely to be swapped out often and/or it would be powered on all the time.
They’re aware of it as we’re warned about it in the manual.

This isn’t the only amp I’ve had that pops going on or off but it’s mos def the loudest popper.
Buut in an studio enviroment headphones are NEVER unplugged. I have not been to a single studio where the headphones has ever been unplugged.

So are the amp meant to stay on, thats why they made the power switch in the back?

If thats the only thing negative, I might be buying it anyway.

Does it pop when turning off the DAC it is connected to?

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2023 at 4:24 AM Post #460 of 522
So are the amp meant to stay on, thats why they made the power switch in the back?

Where's the power switch on your Audio-gd gear?
:wink:
If thats the only thing negative, I might be buying it anyway.

Cool, now we know what to look for in the classifieds, a week after you buy it :D

Apr 3, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #461 of 522
Where's the power switch on your Audio-gd gear?
:wink:

Cool, now we know what to look for in the classifieds, a week after you buy it :D
hahaha :joy: ... DI20HE is in the back though, the others front.

Im looking for a headamp for Chord, but I guess the RNHP is not the one, as I want the amp a little bassy. Hmmm maybe I need some kind of EQ preamp with headphone out.

Hmm. A channelstrip from Rupert Neve

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #463 of 522
The cheaper Meanwell supply arrived earlier in the week and I've been trying various combinations, but ultimately, it doesn't compare to the iFi iPower Elite. The Meanwell definitely improves pretty much every aspect over the stock power supply, but it doesn't affect bass as much as the iFi. Bass is tighter and more impactful and there's much more microdetail/plankton with the iFi. Music sounds more realistic and alive vs. the Meanwell.

I have an iFi DC iPurifier2 that was plugged into my Pi2AES, but I removed it and was using it on the RHNP. It did not work with the stock PSU at all, but has no problems with the Meanwell or iFi units and, surprisingly, it makes the same noticeable difference regardless of which PSU is used.

The biggest place the DC iPurifier2 improves is the highs; there's a ton more detail and separation along with a pleasant smoothing that doesn't cause smearing or loss of detail. Even with the iFi PSU, treble (cymbals in particular) could get harsh/static-y and even painful if volume was on the higher end of comfort, but since putting the DC iPurifier2 in place, I haven't had any of those issues anymore (aside from just listening too loudly). In addition, imaging is a bit tighter/sharper and there's a better sense of "openess" as well. I didn't notice any change to bass, however.

I think the Meanwell is a great upgrade, especially for, what, $15? It definitely does improve over the stock PSU. I can't say for anyone else if the iFi Elite PSU is worth the $300, but for me, it absolutely is. The improvements to bass make me very happy. And I think regardless of the PSU used (aside from stock), the DC iPurifier is a great addition.
Why do you say the Ifi DC purifier did not work with the stock PSU " at all"?
Not noticeable difference as with other PSU?

Jul 2, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #465 of 522
The ifi dc purifier 1 or 2? Stock PSU?
Not sure if 1 or 2.
There was only one available when I bought it a few years ago.
I use it with a Meanwell PSU that can provide higher amperage than the stock PSU.
Still working great, and from what I remember, better bass and dynamics than stock.
Also, dead silent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back