Running IEMs suited for rock?
Sep 11, 2009 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

themanbeast

100+ Head-Fier
Been quite a while since I've posted here
smily_headphones1.gif

Heres the situation:

I am a very active person, running 6-8 miles a day, and lifting 3 days a week on top of it. I have been using a pair of etymotic ER6i plugged straight into my MP3 player (was an iPod, now I have a 4GB Zune player), which I have enjoyed. Recently, the clip on the ER6i has vanished off the cord, and so I now have microphonics gong on as I run. I'm sure I can get a new clip, and I am pursuing that option, but there are a couple of things that I would like to improve upon for my use.

- The ER6i are a bit shrill on some tracks for me (Coming from a Grado lover no less)

- The fit is good, but could use a bit of tweaking. I am using the gray tri-flanges.

- Maybe something a bit more laid back, I listen to rock/metal music when I run but I think a softer signature would be nice when I run

In any event, I am likely going to try and upgrade at some point in the near future, and would like some input. I was thinking about trying a pair of sennheisers (IE7 or IE8), but I don't know if they share the same kind of sound sig their larger brethren do. Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: Rock is a vague term, let me give you some of the bands I listen to.

Iron Maiden
Metallica
Matchbox 20
Zeppelin
Amon Amarth
In Flames
Alice in Chains
Dream Theater

Sep 11, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #2 of 15
Slightly off-topic, but you may want to grab some Shure olives for those ER6i's - in my experience they tame the treble just a tiny bit and accentuate the bass.

Also, for a slightly less tiring sound that is still a huge upgrade from an Er6i you may want to look at the Head-Direct RE0.

For a smoother/bassier signature on the cheap I would grab the Radiopaq Jazz - that is, if you want to try something completely different.

Sep 12, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #5 of 15
I, too, want to know of some good IEMs for running that won't fall out of my ears.

Sep 13, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #6 of 15
stay away from Ultimate Ears, terrible design for running, always pop out, they stick out too much. I always had issues on my runs with them (super 5 fi pro) I had the ER6i's as well but the cable microphonics pissed me off. Looking to go custom now.

Sep 13, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #7 of 15
I'm not sure why people are suggesting a $3-400 IEM to replace a $100 IEM that he plans on sweating into... =/

RE0's seem like they'd work well for you. I personally just run in a throwaway pair of EP-630's, though. Either way, you'd best be served by something with good silicone tips--otherwise, foam will get seriously grimy.

Sep 13, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by chicagojammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
stay away from Ultimate Ears, terrible design for running, always pop out, they stick out too much. I always had issues on my runs with them (super 5 fi pro) I had the ER6i's as well but the cable microphonics pissed me off. Looking to go custom now.

actually it depends on the size of ur ear canal. and on the whole sweating thing, i run 4 miles with my triple fi's in and they perform fine. no sweat in them cause they have an air tight seal in them that doesnt let the sweat into the actual tube that emits the sound. but i will say that they do stick out quite a bit.

Sep 13, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #10 of 15
I wouldnt spend big bucks on anything im gonna sweat in. nuforce ne-7m's is what im gonna get probably for the gym. Decent isolation and good sound but not to crazy high if they get too wet.

Sep 13, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixteh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure why people are suggesting a $3-400 IEM to replace a $100 IEM that he plans on sweating into... =/

RE0's seem like they'd work well for you. I personally just run in a throwaway pair of EP-630's, though. Either way, you'd best be served by something with good silicone tips--otherwise, foam will get seriously grimy.

The sweating thing is a good point. As an example of how it relates to me, every wednesday I make the run from Ridgefield to La Center, which is about a 10 mile run. On this run, I will lose anywhere from 3 to 5 pounds of water weight. My ER6i have held up with this extremely well for the most part, so I would need something that could take similar abuse.

Microphonics: with the clip, the ER6i were fine, so as long as what I get is similar to that I should be good. I got used to the microphonics pretty quickly, I don't really even hear it anymore.

I'm mainly looking for something a little less shrill, but I do want to keep it somewhat close to the overall sound sig of the ER6i. I am thinking about trying out the new grado lower-end IEM that is coming out, which appears to be right in the price range of the ER6i. Weird to go to Grado to reduce a shrill sound, I know, but my ER6i are more painful on my ears with some songs than my SR-325i ever was.

I've read about the RE0 being a great IEM, and also saw the price drop, so that also has my interest. However, my upgrade path is probably about a month out, so I don't know if I am going to be able to snag a pair at that price.

Shure Olives: I've heard all the great reviews about these, does anyone here use these for active stuff? How do they hold up?

Sep 13, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by themanbeast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure Olives: I've heard all the great reviews about these, does anyone here use these for active stuff? How do they hold up?

Well. They are pretty much indestructible.

Sep 13, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #14 of 15
I will recomand IE7 because it's has better midrange than IE8 with great bass and share the same warm airy soundsignautre( both are laid back if compare to ER6i). It also fit snugly in ear with good isolation and sound rich detailed and warm, it has really wide soundstage(perfect for the above genres). There are few other IEMs which also fit and sound great for these genres and out door activities like Westone 3 and SE420.

Sep 13, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #15 of 15
I've had to go with foam tips for almost any type of exercise. Due to high levels of microphonics on Ulitimate Ear Super.Fi and Triple.Fi cables, I would stay away from those. The newer UE earphones may have reduced microphonics. Westone cables have had the lowest microphonics of the IEMs I have. I use either the Westone 3s or Shure SE530s for exercise. The Westone 3 are choice for rock while the Shures are my choice for the days I want classical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back