Running Headphones
Apr 12, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #3 of 16
I have been using the Klipsch Custom-1 headphone for running. The cable is routed over the ears to get rid of microphonics. I tried all sorts of tips and ended up settling on the shure olive ones. I think i just have weird shaped ear canals, but if you are able to get a good fit, these would be a worthwhile purchase.

Apr 12, 2009 at 7:22 AM Post #4 of 16
I think IEMs would be fine. I use Jbuds J2 for running and guide them over the ears with Audeo Silicon Ear Guides. Work just great.

Apr 12, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorillas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey

what are the best headphones for running...meaning little to no microphonics and that stay in the ear...good bass

any suggestions? thanks!

Unless you are running in places where there are no vehicles (like a track or the woods) I urge you not to use IEMs, like Oregon previously wrote. Their attenuation of valuable warning sounds is too great. It is dangerous to be acoustically isolated when you run near traffic.

In my experience, buds don't fit well enough to stay put. That leaves either over-the-head, behind-the-neck or over-the-ear designs.

To address your question directly, I don't know which is "best" but I can vouch for the over-the-ear Koss KSC-35 as stable when running (you may need to fiddle with the clips), more than adequate sound quality for exercise (search for "Kramer mod"), and acoustically transparent enough to be safe.

Apr 13, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff E /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless you are running in places where there are no vehicles (like a track or the woods) I urge you not to use IEMs, like Oregon previously wrote. Their attenuation of valuable warning sounds is too great. It is dangerous to be acoustically isolated when you run near traffic.

The SHS8000 are an open design (there are vents on the back of the buds), so they don't isolate much; I don't even need to remove them to talk to people. Ironically, that's my only problem with them: they aren't a good choice for commutes (subway, bus) or the gym (to block their horrible music out). Otherwise, I wouldn't have come back to Head-Fi in search for my next buy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410
have a look at sennheisers sport range

Have you tried any, before making a recommendation? I've bought the CX 380 Sport II. The sound of those is poor, closer to that of my $10 buds than to that of the $30 SHS8000.

But I was okay with that: I hadn't bought them because they were said to be audiophile-grade, but because they were supposed to be sweat-resistant and washable under running water. And they are... to some extent. I did put them under running water (only a few seconds, not a strong jet, and cool water only) and left them to dry overnight. The following day, I thought the left bud was dead.

Actually, it wasn't, but it'd become a lot weaker than the right bud. I kept it running for one hour or so, and it didn't get any better. I was going to get in touch with Senn about that, but the day after, the left bud was working again. (It may still be a bit weaker, but that may just be my imagination.) Still, if I've got to wait each time a couple of days between two uses of the CX 380, it won't see much use at all.

Apr 13, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #11 of 16
I have used the senn pmx-70s for over a year and a half. If you are looking for ruggedness, then they will win easily. However, they are very tin-like and hollow sounding. Not very good SQ at all. Microphonics aren't that bad but really not that good either. This is mostly before I got into head-fi. I recently purchased some Yuin OK3s for running. They are actually the same price of the PMX-70 (and now 80), and are pretty well regarded. I hope they hold up alright.

I have been experimenting with earbuds lately, because I didn't think that they would stay put during tempo runs, but so far so good. I have tried a couple pair in preparation for the arrival of the Yuins and they haven't moved around at all. I do seem to have more microphonic issues with the cowon and apple and sony stock earbuds, but if I tuck them down my shirt it disappears completely. The Yuins are supposed to be much better.

Apr 13, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #12 of 16
I've plowed over a few runners in races who where wearing headphones. Not a pretty thing to see. One guy stopped running after getting a cup of water and "WHAM!" I might have jammed that cup down his throat. Another was getting an energy gel during the Boston half-marathon. He dropped it and decided it was a good idea to try and pick it up. Both he and his media device went down. Following both incidents, I switched up to my race speed to avoid getting killed.

All of the runners I see have the generic iPod ear bud things. I want to say I've seen one guy with over the ear cans, it may have been while training though. USATF certified races disqualify you now for running with audio devices. Not good especially if you run a Boston qualifier. Imagine that. "YA! I finally qualified!"...then you get the letter at home..."Dear fast guy, you're not going to Boston..."...So, I see runners in races with the smallest things possible to avoid the race staff and marathon pic services.

Apr 29, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #13 of 16
My understanding is that the USATF rule WAS put into place because headphones could be used for performance enhancement (pacing). You can see news about the amendment to that rule allowing people not competing for medals and prize money to wear headphones here:
USATF - News

Careful though, I've found people get INTENSE about their feeling in this debate on either side of the argument.

That said, my experience has been that anything that isolates well is probably a bad idea. I don't believe in the safety issue... my experience has been that people who are oblivious to the world around them get themselves into trouble regardless of whether they have headphones on or not. I run in central park and see plenty of collisions between people not wearing any headphones.

But anything that I have tried that isolates well will bounce out of your ears, provide some nasty occlusion between songs, and get super nasty with sweat.

I'm still trying to find something like the sony sport headphones that stay put, don't isolate, and handle sweat... but everything I have tried has sounded awful... and it sucks to spend your whole run thinking "man this would sound so much better if I weren't wearing these headphones".

Apr 29, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #14 of 16
I don't usually run outdoors (too hot), but my PFEs have been working really well in the gym (including plenty of motion doing cardio). These are obviously thought by some to be lacking bass, so it may not be what you want, but I almost never find myself pushing them back into my ears, and they have next to no microphonics that I can detect (I'm using the silicon ear guides). The only thing I've noticed is that the seal in my ear might not be 100% what it is when when I'm not sweating, etc., but I think this will happen regardless if what you're using, and it may just be that my gym is especially loud (didn't happen the few times I have gone running/walking outdoors). They never seem to budge though, which was the biggest thing for me.

Jun 1, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by b00tang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My understanding is that the USATF rule WAS put into place because headphones could be used for performance enhancement (pacing). You can see news about the amendment to that rule allowing people not competing for medals and prize money to wear headphones here:
USATF - News

Careful though, I've found people get INTENSE about their feeling in this debate on either side of the argument.

That said, my experience has been that anything that isolates well is probably a bad idea. I don't believe in the safety issue... my experience has been that people who are oblivious to the world around them get themselves into trouble regardless of whether they have headphones on or not. I run in central park and see plenty of collisions between people not wearing any headphones.

But anything that I have tried that isolates well will bounce out of your ears, provide some nasty occlusion between songs, and get super nasty with sweat.

I'm still trying to find something like the sony sport headphones that stay put, don't isolate, and handle sweat... but everything I have tried has sounded awful... and it sucks to spend your whole run thinking "man this would sound so much better if I weren't wearing these headphones".

Interesting. I never saw the update to this rule. I do remember some runner who was keeping tabs on his competition while ahead of the pack. Not cool at all. I'm one of the people who gets beyond angry when there are tons of runners in a race wearing headphones, and getting up front in the 5:00/mile pack at the start when they really run 9:00/mile or even slower.
mad.gif
My other road race peave are the runners who stop right after the finish line and let people plow into them. ARGH!!!! Sorry for the rant and threadjack...
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back