Running a DT770 for a few months without an amp nor problems, yesterday I tried to plug in my old 2.1 Stereo set into the front panel and I think it damaged my DT770.
Oct 1, 2018 at 1:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

rukisku

New Head-Fier
First of all, I am an audio newbie, so I might not use the correct terms and some of the text might be sentenced a bit off as a result of that.

So I have not noticed any problems with my DT770, but yesterday I wanted to plug in my 2.1 stereo set so that I can get some sound switches when I need it. Now I have done googling as a pre-caution, but I did not found something that sounded alarming except that there is no problem in having my analog headphones plugged in the back and my speakers in the front, and that I can switch between them, but not simultaneously which was not what I wanted anyways.

So what happened. I plugged my 2.1 Stereo set (which actually is branded as Civil, which I think its a sister company to a chinese brand named CAV - Audio). Not that I am someone accounted for rating, but I do like the quality of the sound of these speakers and I also have them for over 6 years without any problems, except for this occasional thing where they do not produce certain sounds, sometimes acouistics sometimes vocals sometimes bass and so on, but this might be due to cabling and also they make very loud pop noises when plugging in, but I think that is normal as they've done that since I had them.

Now, like I said, I did my short research beforehand, did not find anything alarming, so I went on plugging them in my front inputs, now as I was doing this, my headphones were connected (DT770) and as soon as I plugged in the 2.1 stereo speakers they disconnected, and no sound was coming from any device. I am mentioning this because I had my headphones were still the default device and the sound should've come out from them and also because it never happened any other time when I tried plugging the speakers later on. Then I went to the back of my case to check my DT770 connecting, and they were for some reason not inside, not completely out, but not completely plugged inside. Now I don't know how this happened, I did not move my DT770, they have never ever pulled out like that. So I reconnected them, it worked fine, but was weirded out a bit of this, I tried unplugging and re-plugging the speakers too, I could not get this thing to happen again, weird, but I continued. Next I got the sound working on my headphones, but something felt kinda wrong, I was like drop the placebo dude, and disabled (intentionally, not just switch to the speakers so that there is no potential problem) and then I continued using the speakers.

So my first use case actually was an alarm, that is why I wanted to plug in the speakers, my phone died and this was my best option, so after getting up I immediately re-enabled my DT770, and I most definitely heard something was off straight away. First I thought its a placebo or something, but I am pretty sure it was not now as I have done some testing to proof myself correct. For example when I receive a message on Discord, there is a weird pop before every message, like a short static pop followed by the short message tone that was the first thing I noticed as I switched them off while I was receiving messages, then I tested the headphones on some .FLAC tracks, and I noticed more static noise and pops, mostly on bass music, I tried classical music, and it sounded normal, but on bassy things this pops occur. Now I have these tracks in .FLAC and I tested there, same thing happens, and this is where I noticed this distortion of sound and popping the most, whenever the bass hits, the voice gets mushy and the static pop is here, now I tried this with my speaker and it definitely doesn't happen.

Here is the track I am referring, there is a lot of bass + voice at the same time on each verse, and I hear the voice being mushy at the time the bass hits:

Like I said, I did not believe discord so I tested on .FLAC because I thought that youtube might be lying, tested the same track on FLAC as well as youtube, same thing happened, but for reference I will post another youtube link, same thing happens with the bass all the time here, when the voice appear, but not only that the bass is having this poppy static all the time while it sounds mushy: , and what I also noticed at this track, and every other track where there is bass, but only where there is bass, if I try to change the volume I hear these pops all the time.

Lastly, I have no enhancements to the voices, I have installed my drivers correctly & updated them. I have tried with various (oh and also what is recommended and for what device) 16 bit 48khz, 24 48khz, 24 96khz, 24 bit 192khz - which is my go to. Nothing helped. Also my 2.1 Stereo set should be powerful, I noticed tho that the speaker monitors pull from 15-45W each at 6 Ohm impendence I think, but for more info I can check later on as I am not currently close to them, and also TBH these numbers don't mean a lot to me, except that they sound a bit higher except the impendence.

So that is that, have I damaged my headphones the moment I plugged my 2.1 stereo set? Is that even possible even though I have not played them simultaneously. Could that first disconnect and physical pop out that happened on my headphones be caused by plugging the speakers in the front panel? As I mentioned already - whenever I plug them I always hear loud noises and pops, but I find that normal as it always kinda happened. I really don't know and I really would like to have a proper guidance on this topic, as a lesson or precaution in the future. Thanks!

Oct 1, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #3 of 6
Is my post appropriate for this section? [Help]
I'm guess your first post was so long, nobody wanted to spend the time reading it.
Old timers on this forum like reading questions and providing answer (some of us are bit of a know it all).
But you decided to write a whole speech.

Oct 2, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #4 of 6
But you decided to write a whole speech.

First time poster, also mentioned I am a newbie, I just wanted to explain what, where, when and how the problem occurred, so I thought a long wall of text is the appropriate way to help other detect the cause. After 26k posts I think your decision of approach to someone with 2 was worth a speech, and yes I am cynical cause If you did that sentence in a chuckle, it really did not look like that, so I give myself a leverage.

TLDR; Could you damage your headphones if you plug in a 2.1 Stereo Speaker into the front panel, while your headphones are in the back? In my case, after I did this, my headphones started to do white pop noises whenever some bass occurred, also while there is bass I hear mushy vocals, if vocals simultaneously play with the bass.

Oct 2, 2018 at 12:52 AM Post #5 of 6
First time poster, also mentioned I am a newbie, I just wanted to explain what, where, when and how the problem occurred, so I thought a long wall of text is the appropriate way to help other detect the cause. After 26k posts I think your decision of approach to someone with 2 was worth a speech, and yes I am cynical cause If you did that sentence in a chuckle, it really did not look like that, so I give myself a leverage.

TLDR; Could you damage your headphones if you plug in a 2.1 Stereo Speaker into the front panel, while your headphones are in the back? In my case, after I did this, my headphones started to do white pop noises whenever some bass occurred, also while there is bass I hear mushy vocals, if vocals simultaneously play with the bass.

So you have the 2.1 speakers plugged into the front panel audio jack, of your computer and the headphone plugged into the back panel, of the computer.
Normally i doubt that would cause damage to your headphones.

Oct 2, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #6 of 6
I see that you have a DT770 Pro, if plugged in the back without an amp, can you feel these static pops whenever bass happens? Also, whenever a bassy music is playing, if I try to lower and increase the sound volume, these pops appear more vividly. Also, for example, during this track: I can hear the pops as it starts, so I am guessing that its not me, but the track, can you confirm this, even on another headset?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back