Rumor: New Sennheiser Flagship to be surfaced ........ soon
Jun 25, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #571 of 603
There is/was a new high-end headphone by Sennheiser in the works that would have upset the high-end market. I had a conversation with people from Sennheiser a few years ago and we were discussing on how to beat the Focal Utopia. And they had / have something that could do it (and i was very interested in buying it).

But seeing as that headphone has not been released yet, I wonder if that project was cancelled seeing also a few people at Sennheiser has left.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #573 of 603
There is/was a new high-end headphone by Sennheiser in the works that would have upset the high-end market. I had a conversation with people from Sennheiser a few years ago and we were discussing on how to beat the Focal Utopia. And they had / have something that could do it (and i was very interested in buying it).

But seeing as that headphone has not been released yet, I wonder if that project was cancelled seeing also a few people at Sennheiser has left.
WHAAAAAAT!???? :fearful::fearful::fearful::rage::rage::rage::sob::sob::sob:

Jun 25, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #574 of 603

Discussing how to beat the Utopia? No no, they should think about beating Stax! :rolling_eyes:

Jun 25, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #575 of 603

The Utopia is already beaten by the 800S, unless you prefer your soundstage to sound like it was recorded in a broom closet.

Jun 30, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #576 of 603
The Utopia is already beaten by the 800S, unless you prefer your soundstage to sound like it was recorded in a broom closet.

That's so completely not my experiences. Get the upfront rig right (and upgrade that pretty poor stock cable to a Dana Cable Lazuli) and the Utopia offer outstanding sound staging. Are they as artificially inflated as the HD800S? Nope...but in the end I find it quite satisfying. And I'm a huge HD800S fan FWIW, but when I play them with a recording that I know was recorded in a small setting, I still get put in the 50th row (thus my "artificial" comment).

Jun 30, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #577 of 603
There is/was a new high-end headphone by Sennheiser in the works that would have upset the high-end market. I had a conversation with people from Sennheiser a few years ago and we were discussing on how to beat the Focal Utopia.
Just charge $4000 for it. Beat the Utopia by a buck.

Jun 30, 2019 at 11:44 PM Post #579 of 603
That's so completely not my experiences. Get the upfront rig right (and upgrade that pretty poor stock cable to a Dana Cable Lazuli) and the Utopia offer outstanding sound staging. Are they as artificially inflated as the HD800S? Nope...but in the end I find it quite satisfying. And I'm a huge HD800S fan FWIW, but when I play them with a recording that I know was recorded in a small setting, I still get put in the 50th row (thus my "artificial" comment).

What do you mean by upfront rig? Does that mean amplifier? Because the 800/800S has an impedance of 300 ohms, and the Utopia is only 80 ohms. So the 800/800S is by far the more difficult to drive.
So if one can power the Sennheiser’s well enough to say they sound better than the Utopia, then I don’t think your critique of someone’s “upfront rig” is valid at all. Maybe some people simply like the 800/800S more than the Utopia and/or maybe some people believe the 800/800S is the superior headphone, regardless of cost.

Jul 1, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #580 of 603
Just charge $4000 for it. Beat the Utopia by a buck.

Exactly! Well said.
What do you mean by upfront rig? Does that mean amplifier? Because the 800/800S has an impedance of 300 ohms, and the Utopia is only 80 ohms. So the 800/800S is by far the more difficult to drive.
So if one can power the Sennheiser’s well enough to say they sound better than the Utopia, then I don’t think your critique of someone’s “upfront rig” is valid at all. Maybe some people simply like the 800/800S more than the Utopia and/or maybe some people believe the 800/800S is the superior headphone, regardless of cost.

The entire setup...amplifier, DAC, source material, cables, etc... And the Utopia are quite a bit more revealing our your source/DAC. As well, the stock cable is quite poor performing IMO next to the Dana Cable option. That said, "ease of driving" is so much more than impedance (they are both pretty efficient headphones HD800S: 102 db/mW and Utopia: 104 dB/mW)...most amplifiers can power both quite easily (and without break-in a sweat). But the quality of those amplifiers also comes into play as well. But again, I'm referring to the entire chain.

As mentioned, no chain will make the Utopia sound bigger than the HD800S, but getting it right will open them (Focal Utopia) up to a very satisfying level. And at times with more intimate recordings, I have found the HD800S can be artificially too big.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #583 of 603
hd820 is not good, I hope new products will be better.
Nah man, Sennheiser don't care about high-end market. they goin after that $$$ from the cumsumer market. :frowning2:

Jul 13, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #584 of 603
Jul 13, 2019 at 11:41 PM Post #585 of 603
Don't. Save that for the HD800 or new Senn fragship

Users who are viewing this thread

Back