Rumor: New Sennheiser Flagship to be surfaced ........ soon
Aug 27, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #61 of 603
Because we know what the Orpheus 2 sounds like, right. Let's just wait and see what if any stat is released.

Aug 27, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #62 of 603
Well I would respectfully suggest that very few know what the Orpheus 2 sounds like. I've never heard a pair, never mind owned a pair - and if I were in the former category I recognise that memory is pretty fickle when it comes to sound quality.

Without doubt, if it emerges, the new Orpheus will be a good product and it will be similar to, but different from, the 009. I just suggest that a good test of whether it will be better (rather than just different) might be achieved by citing the 009's deficiencies and see if these are addressed in the Orpheus.

Aug 28, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #65 of 603
I sure hope not.

They could make it work, never know! One of the main things holding back planar headphones are probably the materials (it's too heavy)... Sennheiser already pushed the boundaries for the dynamic and electrostatics, all that's left is the planars and they have the trifecta. All speculations of course though =/ 

Aug 28, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #66 of 603
  They could make it work, never know! One of the main things holding back planar headphones are probably the materials (it's too heavy)... Sennheiser already pushed the boundaries for the dynamic and electrostatics, all that's left is the planars and they have the trifecta. All speculations of course though =/ 

I actually heard some rumors about Sennheiser planning planar magnetic models, but as a separate product line. Unfortunately, I don't even remember where I heard about it. Until evidence surfaces, I won't hold my breath.

I don't think the HD 800 successor would be planar magnetic, because the entire concept and legacy behind the HD 800 is pinpoint accuracy. (I shouldn't need to further explain my reasoning here.)

Aug 28, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #67 of 603
Methinks there are two possible scenarios for the HD800 successor:

HD850: a sidegrade rather than upgrade..Warmer, smoother sound (Can't be more neutral) a bit bigger soundstage. This will be like HD650 to HD600...Price 1800-2000 Dollars and lesser value than HD800..

HD900: a significant upgrade to HD800..Better in all parameters which puts it right up to SR-009 level.. Price will be at least 2500, possibly 3000 dollars..

Aug 28, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #68 of 603
The price of the HD 800 successor will surely be noticably higher. A "mere" 500 dollar increase in price could cannibalize HD 800 sales a bit - as of right now still the most successful high end headphone ever. Plus a high price also symbolizes "reference" and "statement", much more in 2014 than in 2009. 

Aug 28, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #70 of 603
Maybe Senn has already been dumping the unremarkable (not bad not good) HD700 for cheapish/big reduction from the original msrp of $1,000.  HD800 in its original price slot would be nice and the successor in the $1,500 range.  It is easy to fantasize about any successor to the HD800 to be significantly better but if that were the case it might rival live music(!),heh, heh; every review about any successor being "significantly better" is hype.  Then again hype (and fantisization)  is a major part of these forums.  Senn ain't stupid so every price point will be selected/altered to sell as many as possible.

Aug 28, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #73 of 603
It did in Germany.

Aug 28, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #75 of 603

Users who are viewing this thread

Back