Rudistore HP4
Jun 14, 2004 at 5:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Mikey01

Headphoneus Supremus
With so many good things being said about the HP5, I was wondering how good the Rudistore HP4 would sound. Anybody hear this one yet, or have a comment?
600smile.gif

Jun 14, 2004 at 9:39 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey01
With so many good things being said about the HP5, I was wondering how good the Rudistore HP4 would sound. Anybody hear this one yet, or have a comment?
600smile.gif

Hey, Mikey! I'm asking the same question. I notice that you also have a pair of DT 880s, and I'm wondering if the Rudistor would be a good match for them. The best other suggestions people are making to me are a Meier Corda amp, or the Ray Samuels Emmeline XP-7. Besides being considered good amps, I'm guessing that these might have some synergy with the DT 880. But I don't really know, and I'm looking for comparisons--especially regarding the Rudistor.

Jun 15, 2004 at 4:04 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Send me the DT-880 and i'll tell you ALL you need to know
wink.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

. . . Or you could send me the RP5!
eggosmile.gif

Jun 15, 2004 at 4:07 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by davebot
. . . Or you could send me the RP5!
eggosmile.gif

I knew you were going to say that. Normally I would but with a BIG HeadFi meet around the corner I will have to pass. After that I take off to India for a 2 month break...need ma baby with me
wink.gif

I will see if I can get hold of a DT-880 somewhere...maybe ask the kind folks at HeadRoom for a loaner
tongue.gif
LOL

very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 16, 2004 at 6:49 AM Post #7 of 14
I never tested any Beyer with the Rudistor amps and with my RP5 Reference SE, but, for what I know of those cans, would be a very good combo because (IMO) Beyers work very well with tube amps... I think that even the EAR HP-4 is a good amp fo the Beyers open cans.

Best!
Nicola

Jun 17, 2004 at 9:21 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
I never tested any Beyer with the Rudistor amps and with my RP5 Reference SE, but, for what I know of those cans, would be a very good combo because (IMO) Beyers work very well with tube amps... I think that even the EAR HP-4 is a good amp fo the Beyers open cans.

Thanks Nicola--you make sense. I'm getting interested in the RP4, although I'm also interested in the Corda HA-1 MKII and Gilmore V1, after go_vtec's excellent review of the Gilmore V1 and other amps. Have you compared the Rudistor amps to these? I tend to think a tubish sound would work here, although sacd mentioned that he found some tube amps bring out sibilance with the DT 880.

Or maybe I should just stick with my NAD receiver, and buy CDs! I'm so fickle.
280smile.gif

Jun 17, 2004 at 10:02 PM Post #9 of 14
I had the Headroom The Max... and the RP5 is another thing... another class of amp. The Max is a good amp, but not so fine respect to the RP5, surely! The others amps I never had. I'm a tube man ... so I prefer tube headphone amps!

Best!
Nicola

Jun 18, 2004 at 3:59 AM Post #10 of 14
I just want to tell you guys that the RP5 I have is an old version. The new RP5's are even more improved and use better components (research over time and experience results in a better improved product).

However Rudi has offered to upgrade mine to the latest version with a switchable 110/220V power supply for use in Asia and USA (I travel a lot) and I will be sending the Rudistor to him for these mods.

I am a Rudistor man for ever
wink.gif

Jun 22, 2004 at 3:14 AM Post #11 of 14
I just got to thinking about what might happen when the tubes die in the RudiStor. I'm wondering if anyone can say what the expected life is, how much replacments cost, and whether these are replaceable by and average Joe.

Jun 22, 2004 at 3:20 AM Post #12 of 14
I would think the tube life is the same as it would be in any other tube amp. As far as changing them goes, just pop off the cover and unplug em and stick in a new one.
icon10.gif

Jun 22, 2004 at 3:55 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

I just got to thinking about what might happen when the tubes die in the RudiStor. I'm wondering if anyone can say what the expected life is, how much replacments cost, and whether these are replaceable by and average Joe.

Replacing is easy. Pop off the top and roll out the tubes (this is how the name "tuberolling" was coined IMO because you have to gently rock and roll the tubes to get them in and out). Roll in the new tubes and wallah!

Replacements typically cost between $20.00 and $200.00 depending on how high you are willing to go (NOS or current production tubes and other factors). A good pair of tubes shouldnt cost more than $50.00 and will sound great and last for at least 5000 hours (usually a lot more than that).

I am an average schmuck...I can tuberoll till the sun goes down...you just have to begin somewhere
wink.gif

Stock tubes sound great (mine are stock)...tube upgrades will definitely sound better...

Cheers!

Jun 22, 2004 at 4:19 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Here's an excellent article for you to read all about the 6DJ8/6922/7308 tube type used in the Rudistor. http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d...ubes.html#6DJ8

If you don't want to spend too much money, there are current production JJ/Tesla, Electro Harmonix, Sovteks, etc. that should keep the cost down to about $30 for a matched pair. (Check out all the tube dealers on the sponsors page of www.audioasylum.com)

If you want better sound, NOS tubes (New Old Stock) which translates to tubes made back in the 40s/50s/60s/70s/80s is the way to go. Of course, these will be hard to come by.

I have several components with this type of tubes, so I swap them often just to try different tubes to see how the system sounds. Don't worry about the tube life, you will be only looking at replacing every few years. But it's always good to have a spare pair around, just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back