Rubbish sounding CARY CAD 300 SEI
Oct 15, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #16 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by geoges.ravel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd take ringing Dennis as the last option. Because I'm not English speaking... I do write but I hardly speak
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, you write just fine. You should try reading my French....you'd really be tearing your hair out.

Oct 16, 2008 at 12:34 PM Post #18 of 57
What speakers are you using? Is there a possibility that they're wired out of phase at the moment? The 300 SEI can sound quite different depending on the sensitivity/impedance of the speakers it is driving but in my experience tends to "thicken" with unsuitable loads. The EH tubes, while not as desirable as some, wouldn't compromise the sound in the way you describe. It sounds like you have one of the older versions, but the basic sound doesn't change THAT much. You might also test your tubes if you can, or try swapping first input then output then rectifier tubes to make sure you don't have a blown or weak one.

good luck,

o

Oct 16, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #19 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by orkney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What speakers are you using? Is there a possibility that they're wired out of phase at the moment? The 300 SEI can sound quite different depending on the sensitivity/impedance of the speakers it is driving but in my experience tends to "thicken" with unsuitable loads. The EH tubes, while not as desirable as some, wouldn't compromise the sound in the way you describe. It sounds like you have one of the older versions, but the basic sound doesn't change THAT much. You might also test your tubes if you can, or try swapping first input then output then rectifier tubes to make sure you don't have a blown or weak one.

good luck,

o

Thanks for your input. The speakers are Audio Physic Padua (90db 4 ohms), not ideal load for
the CARY, I don't think the speakers are wired incorrectly, and the headphones (HD650/Cardas) sound the same way.

I have no way to test the tubes and I have no spare tube. I sent a mail to Cary Audio today to see what they think the problem is. I'll try to find a local audiophile who has the tubes to do a test.

Oct 16, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #20 of 57
Quote:

Thanks for your input. The speakers are Audio Physic Padua (90db 4 ohms), not ideal load for
the CARY, I don't think the speakers are wired incorrectly, and the headphones (HD650/Cardas) sound the same way.

I have no way to test the tubes and I have no spare tube. I sent a mail to Cary Audio today to see what they think the problem is. I'll try to find a local audiophile who has the tubes to do a test.

Correct... not the best speaker combo at all for the cary (or most 300B's), I have tried some 89db before, and very very thin. but the hd650... match very well with Cary..... mine sound great.

Also feel free to call Cary support as well, they helped me out a lot when I had a rectifier go bad... good people over there.

Cheers,

Oct 17, 2008 at 9:20 AM Post #21 of 57
Quote:

It's not a new one, so I suppose it is run in long ago. The tubes on the other hand do not have many hours on them, I suppose. The 6SN7s come with the amp and in the box so they might be new. The TJ300B/C come from ebay and the seller said they are just burnt in but no more.

The EH 6SN7s are an awful tube...swap for some good NOS RCA, CBS, Hytron or Sylvania types......That should help ...

Peete.

Oct 17, 2008 at 9:29 AM Post #22 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The EH 6SN7s are an awful tube...swap for some good NOS RCA, CBS, Hytron or Sylvania types......That should help ...

Peete.

Thanks Peete, right now I'm no where even remotely near the sweetness of 300B people talk about. And I have no idea to what degree the tubes can change the sound. I'd like to know
how likely the crappy sound is due to the tubes.

Oct 17, 2008 at 10:09 AM Post #23 of 57
Quote:

Thanks Peete, right now I'm no where even remotely near the sweetness of 300B people talk about. And I have no idea to what degree the tubes can change the sound. I'd like to know
how likely the crappy sound is due to the tubes.

Some of it is attributable to the EH tubes....only one way to find out is to snag a pair of NOS 6SN7s. No need to spend a pile of cash on the Sylvania GT chrome dome...although I'd love to have a genuine pair for myself...a good set of 40's or 50's era (VT-244 Ken-Rad, Tung-Sol gray bottle,RCA black plate to name a few reasonable cost good sounding tubes) 6SN7's will sound WAY better than those EH's.

I'm not suggesting that the tubes are entirely responsible for the current issue it just a starting point. You'll need replacement tubes for the amp eventually anyway ...your just getting a head start on 6SN7's
smily_headphones1.gif

It certainly would be nice if the NOS glass does solve the problem.....here's to hoping that is what happens.

Peete.

Oct 17, 2008 at 10:11 AM Post #24 of 57
Tubes make a huge difference and some can be pretty expensive to. On the other hand, depends on the amp as well, I guess. When I received my Yoshino, which came with 4 stock SOVTEK's, he did sound very well already. But ones I switch to some NOS, man, there is no way back. So, try some of the NOS tubes first, imo.

Oct 17, 2008 at 10:35 AM Post #25 of 57
Right now I have not decided whether to keep the amp, once I decide to keep it, I sure will get some NOS tubes.

Oct 17, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #26 of 57
Quote:

Right now I have not decided whether to keep the amp, once I decide to keep it, I sure will get some NOS tubes.

Excellent point......

Peete.

Oct 17, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #27 of 57
What ever you do its your decision, but, when you are getting in to the tube world, you just can not do it without a good one, imo.
If I didn't have the choice to roll them in my amp I would sell it already.

Quote:

Oct 17, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #28 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What ever you do its your decision, but, when you are getting in to the tube world, you just can not do it without a good one, imo.
If I didn't have the choice to roll them in my amp I would sell it already.

Before I bought the cary, I 've heard only one tube amp: Audio Innovation S500. I liked the sound very much, so I decided to get a tube amp. By reading reviews, the Cary 300SEI seemed to be the best choice because:
1. 300B is reputed fro the sweet midrange
2. Cary has excellent headphone amp.
Both from the price and the reviews, I'm expecting that Cary is far better than the AudioInnovation s500(new $2K also, EL34). But it is not, as headphone amp, it doesn't even
compare to my €400 chinese amp. as speaker amp, it is not as good as Pathos Classic One or the AI S500. I'm not taking the speaker sound as point of comparison as my speaker is not a good load
for Cary. But both for headphones and speakers, the Cary sounds too bright and thin, (not harsh though) it has very good detail, but nowhere I can hear a warm midrange that Cary or any other 300B are supposed to sound.

I'm not sure if this is due to the tubes or there is a faulty in the Cary: since nobody
has heard the sound I'm describing from a Cary, there must be something wrong.
I don't know if I can find the problem and get the sound I'm after, I prefer not to invest in expensive tubes before I know the crappy sound is due to the tubes. But I just can't imagine but changing tubes I can get a totally different sound.

I have had experience with hybrid amps and have a vague idea of what crap tubes can sound like. To me they sound worse but not with a totally different sound signature. What i'm getting from the Cary is not BAD but it's just not for me. I once heard a McIntosh 275 driving a pair of Zu Druid, that was bright! If the cary is supposed to sound that way then it is definitely not for me. But from what I read, the Cary sounds different..

I've sent a mail to cary help desk yesterday, I'll wait to see what they think.

Oct 17, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #30 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its my 3rd tube amp and while I understand your point, no argue, I do believe that tubes making a huge difference, thats all.

Thanks for the hint, then I'm a step closer to NOS tube
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back