RSA SR71b, quad mono balanced. img. 1 & 17 Review pg 32, 34, 68, UPDATED 4/2013 for Improved sound.
Dec 8, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #827 of 1,194
Shhh - they prefer to call it 'New Zealand', but it will be our little secret.

Ooooh your in trouble now!!!!

Back to subject. Listening through balanced cable now. Soundstage opens up more and separation between instruments is more evident. Also there is a feeling of effortless power with the blackbird. In conversation with Ray I commented the Blackbird reminds me of a portable version of Krell amplification D'Agostino era. Ooodles of power and control which brings an effortless presentation.

For me this set up is like listening to a mobile version of a Wilson/ Krell based system, something I have heard on a number of occasions luckily for me!

Listening at the moment to Loreena Mckennit live at the Alhambra in Spain. One really gets a sense of the environment and energy of the audience with this set up. Lovely! No sibilance in Loreena's voice which I find can be the bane of lesser amps and front ends in my experience. She records albums beautifully I find but they are revealing of anything that cannot cope Keep up!

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #828 of 1,194
Quote:
Also, my experiences are first hand. You'll never find me trashing anything I have not personally experienced. As it happens I spent a lovely twenty minutes on the phone to Ray this morning asking about charging and battery length.

I dont like the battery life on the SR71B. It's always the last component standing after my iPod and CLAS go flat so the charging cycles for my portable gear are never in sync!
darthsmile.gif
darthsmile.gif

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #829 of 1,194
Yes, at one point I was wondering whether the SR71B would ever run out of battery at all... LOL

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #830 of 1,194

Quote:
Thanks folks. I hope the brightness goes away after 60 hours.

Any luck from the 2nd round of burn in? I hear the brightness in my iPod - CLAS - SR71B - LCD2r2 setup too and have always wondered if it was my CLAS or the cables which were the culprits, or if it was because my ears prefer phones with a less neutral presentation. Looking forward to your feedback googleli.

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #831 of 1,194
Linn Klimax DS/1 awaits you, dude.

Quote:
Ahh no, it will be British Kit when I get over there. I used to have a lovely system in the UK many years ago. I am looking forward to exploring the British HiFi scene once more.
See, I knew I was right, you have a gold and Opal mine in your backyard.. Of course being Australia your back yard is the size of a small country!
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #832 of 1,194
Unfortunately the 2nd round of burn in is being delayed indefinitely due to arrival of the Liquid Fire... Will bring my 71B home one of these days and continue burn in with my LCD2 at home.

Quote:
Any luck from the 2nd round of burn in? I hear the brightness in my iPod - CLAS - SR71B - LCD2r2 setup too and have always wondered if it was my CLAS or the cables which were the culprits, or if it was because my ears prefer phones with a less neutral presentation. Looking forward to your feedback googleli.

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #833 of 1,194

Quote:
Unfortunately the 2nd round of burn in is being delayed indefinitely due to arrival of the Liquid Fire... Will bring my 71B home one of these days and continue burn in with my LCD2 at home. 

好的,不急。Thanks googleli. I'll plan for one on my end and report back with some updates next week as well.

Dec 8, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #834 of 1,194
The brightness, or sibilance, does not go away after an extensive period of burn-in for my SR-71B - LCD-2 setup. That's one of the reasons I decided to sell SR-71B and wait for Rx Mk3. 

Dec 8, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #835 of 1,194

Quote:
The brightness, or sibilance, does not go away after an extensive period of burn-in for my SR-71B - LCD-2 setup. That's one of the reasons I decided to sell SR-71B and wait for Rx Mk3. 

Sigh. That's not good news for my wallet. Could it be at all possible that the CLAS is responsible for the brightness? Thanks. 

Dec 8, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #836 of 1,194
iPod Classic --> CLAS --> SR-71B balanced mode --> LCD-2 with Whiplash hybrid balanced cable

Dec 8, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #837 of 1,194

Quote:
iPod Classic --> CLAS --> SR-71B balanced mode --> LCD-2 with Whiplash hybrid balanced cable

Ok. Thanks Hellhole. When I get my DAC in the next few weeks I will try to see if I can rule out the CLAS as being the source of brightness. Cheers!!

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #838 of 1,194

Quote:
Ok. Thanks Hellhole. When I get my DAC in the next few weeks I will try to see if I can rule out the CLAS as being the source of brightness. Cheers!!

Which DAC did you buy? :)

Dec 9, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #840 of 1,194
Hmm, I wonder what the chaps who are experiencing brightness are using for cable. I don't experience any brightness with my balanced LCD2's nor my stock cabled ER4S's. In fact I would say female vocal is the best I have heard, not a trace of sibilance.

At the moment as I write I am listening to Lara St'John's wonderful Bach works for violin album, The violin feels spot on, woody, and detailed but that luscious creaminess that Googlie and I prefer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back