RSA SR-71A
Nov 28, 2008 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

drummer1985

100+ Head-Fier
i had received this amp for more than a month now.so far i have been enjoying its high quality sound.thanks Ray for the well done job.but i am wondering one thing,the front faceplate's interface device(input and output plugs) would shakes abit when i hook up the plugs when it's without the batteries in.is it something wrong or it's perfectly normal? has something went loosen in the inside? thanks.
confused_face(1).gif

Nov 28, 2008 at 12:34 PM Post #2 of 16
The batteries apply pressure against the board. Without them you don't have the pressure and it will move slightly. It is normal and doesn't matter.

I have found that without batteries that I have to max out the volume so I would use it With the batteries for best results.

8^)

Nov 28, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #4 of 16
thanks to you all who responded to my somewhat silly question,though i am not really pro with any headphone amps.it's my first amp anyway.i like it but i am however abit tired to take the batteries in and out back and forth for daily listening routine.might be using some stationary amp if necessary but the prices for them are even higher if i want the same sound quality like the sr-71a i assume.hehe..

Nov 28, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #5 of 16
oh i forget to mention that i don't really want to bring them out of my room.as i would just like to enjoy full size headphone in my very personally room.any good suggestion for the medium to full size amp that had the great sound like sr-71a? i think i would upgrade and sell the sr-71a just to add some fund to buy it when i got richer than now.don't get me wrong i really enjoy the sr-71a despite the batteries troublesome job.i am too polite to open the back of the unit and thought it would break sometimes later although i always baby my valuable gadgets.

Nov 28, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #6 of 16
The amp is tougher than it looks (don't ask how I know). You don't have to remove the batteries when you aren't listening as there should be little if any drain when the amp is off (except normal battery discharge when being stored). As for replacing the batteries after charging, don't crank down on the little nuts. The best way I have found is to hold the backplate down with my finger and gently snug the nuts down; they don't have to be real tight, just enough to hold down the plate.

Lastly, If you don't want to change batteries often, go with some long lasting lithium ion batteries. I bought a set of batteries and a charger online at iPOWER 9 Volt 500mAh Lithium Polymer Rechargeable Batteries9...
I am able to use the amp for a couple of weeks of on and off listening (4-6 hours at a time) without having to recharge. I could probably go even longer.

Hope this helps,

-HK sends

Nov 28, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #7 of 16
Don't worry about leaving the batteries inside the amp when not listening to it, unless you know you're going to not listen to i for like a month or longer.

I use my SR-71A almost daily and I never remove the batteries.

Nov 28, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #8 of 16
well i have a set of the energizer 175mah already,they last around 10 hours per charge so no point to buy another set.i know those you just recommended would probably lasted 30 hours of usage i suppose?just still it would need to be charging the batteries took off of the unit and didn't really help much of the matter.thanks anyway.you have been helpful though.

Nov 28, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by dadozen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't worry about leaving the batteries inside the amp when not listening to it, unless you know you're going to not listen to i for like a month or longer.

I use my SR-71A almost daily and I never remove the batteries.

man i need to mention that i only remove the batteries whenever it need a recharge.(but it only lasted around 10 hours)however, i do it very often,one day charging another day listening or enjoying it.quite busy to remove the batteries every two days now.fed up..
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #11 of 16
Wow, 100-120 hours out from rechargeable batteries, that's crazy! Totally worth the investment!!!

Nov 28, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #12 of 16
Ray's new amp the P51 is supposed to be this ish.
And its only 325 for preorders.
Pauly

Quote:

Originally Posted by drummer1985 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh i forget to mention that i don't really want to bring them out of my room.as i would just like to enjoy full size headphone in my very personally room.any good suggestion for the medium to full size amp that had the great sound like sr-71a? i think i would upgrade and sell the sr-71a just to add some fund to buy it when i got richer than now.don't get me wrong i really enjoy the sr-71a despite the batteries troublesome job.i am too polite to open the back of the unit and thought it would break sometimes later although i always baby my valuable gadgets.

Nov 28, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #13 of 16
Everybody,

I have to apologize. I know I saw the 100-120 hour life of the 500mAh Li-on batteries somewhere, but I can't locate the exact reference. However in post #488 of this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/r...7/index49.html,
jamato8 said he only got about 2.5 days out of them. That works out to only around 60 hours. Since I can't personally verify the 100+ hour life, I will have to side with jamato8's statement.
Again, I am sorry if I misled anyone.

Humbly,
-HK sends

Nov 28, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #14 of 16
Maybe it was 120 hours with a lithium non rechargeable battery. That would seem more likely.

Nov 28, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe it was 120 hours with a lithium non rechargeable battery. That would seem more likely.

Probably, but I was suffering from the post first, double-check after syndrome.
redface.gif

I do like the Li-on batteries, though. I hadn't tried the others you mentioned.
I just wanted the long duration.

-HK sends

Users who are viewing this thread

Back