RSA Raptor / X-can v8 / Rudistor 5.3 tridens for movies?
Oct 26, 2008 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

krisno

100+ Head-Fier
Dear head-fi users

I have gone through the X-can v3, x-can v8, and now on a Yulong Dah 1.

The V3 on my AKG K 701 had lack of bass, so i sold it.

The V8 on my AKG K 701 had enough bass, but was so laid back that it sounded almost boring, but music and specially movies sounded VERY realistic.

I now have the Yulong dah1 solid state dac / amp(Lehmann linear clone) which is not bad, good spatial positioning, quite good bass, BUT solid state sounds so 'thin', and it is not realistic sounding.

That means I am back on tubes. I would prefer solidstate details / positioning but with the 'realisticness' of tubes.

How does the R. Samuel Raptor sound compared to the V8, is it a better amp??? Is it a bit more detailed and forward sounding? (even though it is not a hybrid design,.. is it just 'mushy'?)

Or the Rudistor 5.3 tridens, better than v8?

I watch alot of movies, so well, what you guys think is good?? Anyone tried them??

Tanks in advance, looking forward for reply!

Kris

P.S. Did not Stereophile just do a review of the x-can v8 and RS Raptor? Which came out best?

Oct 26, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by krisno /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear head-fi users

I have gone through the X-can v3, x-can v8, and now on a Yulong Dah 1.

The V3 on my AKG K 701 had lack of bass, so i sold it.

The V8 on my AKG K 701 had enough bass, but was so laid back that it sounded almost boring, but music and specially movies sounded VERY realistic.

I now have the Yulong dah1 solid state dac / amp(Lehmann linear clone) which is not bad, good spatial positioning, quite good bass, BUT solid state sounds so 'thin', and it is not realistic sounding.

That means I am back on tubes. I would prefer solidstate details / positioning but with the 'realisticness' of tubes.

How does the R. Samuel Raptor sound compared to the V8, is it a better amp??? Is it a bit more detailed and forward sounding? (even though it is not a hybrid design,.. is it just 'mushy'?)

Or the Rudistor 5.3 tridens, better than v8?

I watch alot of movies, so well, what you guys think is good?? Anyone tried them??

Tanks in advance, looking forward for reply!

Kris

P.S. Did not Stereophile just do a review of the x-can v8 and RS Raptor? Which came out best?

Could it be something else... other than the amps?

"Da ya think?"

Oct 26, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #3 of 3
AKG 701 might be a little laid back, but the V3 did not sound laid back in the same degree the V8 did... nor does it sound laid back on the Yulong dah1.

Therefore, which of the amps in the title subject is the least laid back?

How does the raptor sound different to the v8?

K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back