RSA Mustang/Shadow, or Headamp Pico Slim + CLAS or HP-P1 for JH16 pros
Jul 23, 2012 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jark

Head-Fier
Hi all.

I have been using my new custom JH-16 pro for the last month and I'm really impress with this unit. My only "concern" is I think my iBasso D10 is not up to the task. I mean it doesn't match the resolution that the JH16 is capable off. Also I found really annoying the imbalance and the volume knob on the D10. So I was looking around for a new portable amp to replace my 3 years old D10 and I've bring down the list to 3 amps:

The RSA P-51 Mustang
RSA Shadow
HeapAmp Pico Slim.

I went to my local store and they told me they will receive all this amps in a couple of weeks. So me been there surrounded by awesome gadget and audio equipment I decided to try some toys...Long story short I came out the store with the Fostex HP-P1. Amazing DAC, but average Amp (pretty harsh and fatiguing).

So here is the thing. I'm still need and AMP!. and after reading many and many post about the qualities of the HP-P1 and the CLAS I simple cannot decided what to do. Should I:

1- return the HP-P1 and get the CLAS + Shadow/Mustang or Pico Slim?

2- keep the HP-P1 and get the the Shadow/Mustang or Pico Slim?

In other words is the DAC (32bits) on the HP-P1 so much better than the CLAS (24bits) to justify the extra money (leaving aside the amp section)? What will be the best match of those 4 components in terms of sound synergy with the JH-16?.

I'm planing to use this setting only with the JH-16 pro at the office. When on the way I can always just grab the iPod Classic with the amp and leaving the DAC at the office cause honestly both are pretty big as portable units...

thanks!

Jul 23, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 13
I would return the HP-P1 if I were you since the amp section of the Fostex would be wasted.

Since the IPod Classic only supports 16bit audio it doesn't really matter. By all accounts both devices have decent DACs.

I have never heard the Mustang or the Shadow, but I enjoyed the CLAS+Pico Slim combo with my JH13 very much. Keep in mine that the LO of the CLAS is pretty hot, so you would want an amp with very low gain!

There are quite a few people here using the CLAS+Slim combo with their JH16 here. You can do a search here for more info.

Jul 23, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:
I would return the HP-P1 if I were you since the amp section of the Fostex would be wasted.
Since the IPod Classic only supports 16bit audio it doesn't really matter. By all accounts both devices have decent DACs.
I have never heard the Mustang or the Shadow, but I enjoyed the CLAS+Pico Slim combo with my JH13 very much. Keep in mine that the LO of the CLAS is pretty hot, so you would want an amp with very low gain!
There are quite a few people here using the CLAS+Slim combo with their JH16 here. You can do a search here for more info.

Thanks pekkinduck, you have a good point about the 16 bit support of the iPod classic...Which makes me think why to put a 32 bit DAC in a unit meant to be used only with ideviced...unless and iPad support that? I doubt it.

How would you describe the sound from the CLAS+Slim combo? warm? neutral? not HARSH or Fatiguing hopefully!...What about the bass? I'm asking cause the JH16 have a bit more bass than the 13's

Thanks!

Jul 23, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #4 of 13
It is quite neutral with a hint of warmth. Bass is deep and tight so no problem there. The most noticeable improvement to my ears is the imaging capability (bigger and more air between instruments).

By the way, the iPad does support 24 bit FLAC if you have "FLAC Player" (or similar apps) installed

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #5 of 13
Thanks again pekingduck!...

...does anybody have Shadow/Mustang + CLAS with JH16 pro? I'll like to hear opinions on that combination...

Every minute I'm less and less convinced on the HP-P1...I mean seriuosly for how long I'll have to use the unit in order to get a smooth NOT harsh sound!!!

Jul 24, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #6 of 13
I have both the Shadow and the Mustang, but my JH16s are made for the JH-3A.  Like pekingduck, I have the CLAS, Pico Slim (and no CLAS) and JH13s, but I tend to use the 13s with just the Pico Slim since it's more portable.  It's a great sounding rig.  

Interestingly, I have never tried the CLAS with any of these three amps and probably need to do so!  I have the CLAS as part of a brick bundle with the iPod Classic, JH-3A and the ALO Continental v2 (the latter strapped on the side of the stack of the other three.....where's my camera!).

I'm just going to have to try three amps with the CLAS, but it will only be with the 13s.

I have never heard the HP-P1. so I can't comment on the relative merits of the two DACs.

Jul 24, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
I have both the Shadow and the Mustang, but my JH16s are made for the JH-3A.  Like pekingduck, I have the CLAS, Pico Slim (and no CLAS) and JH13s, but I tend to use the 13s with just the Pico Slim since it's more portable.  It's a great sounding rig.  

Interestingly, I have never tried the CLAS with any of these three amps and probably need to do so!  I have the CLAS as part of a brick bundle with the iPod Classic, JH-3A and the ALO Continental v2 (the latter strapped on the side of the stack of the other three.....where's my camera!).

I'm just going to have to try three amps with the CLAS, but it will only be with the 13s.

I have never heard the HP-P1. so I can't comment on the relative merits of the two DACs.

Hi kiwirugby, thanks for your reply!...I'll really appreciate your opinion about the Shadow, Mustang and Pico Slim + CLAS with your 13s...I know the 16s have more bass but I can make me an idea of the sounding based on your comments...

Lately I'm really starting to think to stick to my original plan which is getting a better amp and forgetting about a portable DAC...Only if the combo CLAS + "x" amp is sooooo much better I'll think about it...

I'm looking for a clear sound. But WITHOUT any harshness or edgy shrill....I'll like something very detail but smooth! . My home set up of Stello DA100 Signature + SPL Phonitor + HD800 is what I compared everything with...And I will like to get a similar sound from the JH-16 even though I know they are complete different headphones, been the JH-16 more forward and better for rock than the HD800.

Thanks!

Jul 25, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #8 of 13
I'll have to make it a weekend project!  I can't understand why I haven't done the three amps with the CLAs before....

Actually, having spent the last two weeks with and iMod 5.5G (lossless) > Pico Slim > JH13s (with Twag v2), I am really impressed with what I am hearing.  It's more portable than the brick I have.  (I did try the brick in my cargo shorts pocket, but after my shorts fell down round my ankles, I decided the rig was more trans-portable!  The rig with the pico fits brilliantly in a shorts pocket.)

I think you're onto something going without the CLAS.  I bought it more for the JH-3A system.  We'll have to see what it can do for the other three amps.  (I hardly ever use the Mustang......was thinking about popping it into the mail to you for a listen......)

Jul 29, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #9 of 13
Hi Jark,

I suspect the reason you do not like the JH16s with the Fostex is due to output impedance. I believe the JH16s drop down to 12 ohms in part, whereas the Fostex prefers 16 ohms or more. As per Jude's review comparing the CLAS and the Fostex, you'll need something with an output impedance of less than 1ohm to ensure a coherent consistent sound. This review of the JH16s  from Stereophile explains it a bit better http://www.stereophile.com/content/jh-audio-jh16-pro-ear-monitors-measurements . With the advent of multi-driver customs which prove difficult to drive, amp users have to pay a lot more attention to output impedance. The Fostex is outstanding with things like the DT1350 or the Ortofon Eq5 and 7 because they have a higher impedance which the Fostex amp can drive well, Jh16s obviously not so good...

regards,

Giles

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
Hi Jark,

I suspect the reason you do not like the JH16s with the Fostex is due to output impedance. I believe the JH16s drop down to 12 ohms in part, whereas the Fostex prefers 16 ohms or more. As per Jude's review comparing the CLAS and the Fostex, you'll need something with an output impedance of less than 1ohm to ensure a coherent consistent sound. This review of the JH16s  from Stereophile explains it a bit better http://www.stereophile.com/content/jh-audio-jh16-pro-ear-monitors-measurements . With the advent of multi-driver customs which prove difficult to drive, amp users have to pay a lot more attention to output impedance. The Fostex is outstanding with things like the DT1350 or the Ortofon Eq5 and 7 because they have a higher impedance which the Fostex amp can drive well, Jh16s obviously not so good...

regards,

Giles

Thanks Gilles for your comment. Very informative. What about paring the JH16s with the Headamp Pico Slim in terms of impedance matching? I've been thinking more and more into getting the Slim and forgetting about any portable DAC...

cheers

Jul 30, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #12 of 13
I had the RSA Shadow with my JH13s and I thought it sounded far too dark.  I sold it after testing the Pico Slim, which I thought was a much better match.  The Mustang has the same dark signature, but isn't going to be quite at the same level as the shadow with the CIEMS.

Since the JH16s have even more bass than the JH13s, I don't think the Shadow would be as good a match as the Pico Slim.  

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:
I had the RSA Shadow with my JH13s and I thought it sounded far too dark.  I sold it after testing the Pico Slim, which I thought was a much better match.  The Mustang has the same dark signature, but isn't going to be quite at the same level as the shadow with the CIEMS.

Since the JH16s have even more bass than the JH13s, I don't think the Shadow would be as good a match as the Pico Slim.  

thanks for sharing, very good to know...Yes the JH-16s have more bass so I agree a dark amp would be bad as a match...It seem Slim will be...

thanks all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back