RSA Hornet or Tomahawk?
May 13, 2008 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

flame

100+ Head-Fier
I do quite a bit of travelling and listen to ochestra most of the time. Wonder which portable amp should i get? I pick these 2 because many people appraised the battery life on them.
ANy other comments or suggestions will be welcome. Thanks in advance!

May 13, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #2 of 28
hi there,
splurge for predator! its much better than tomahawk & hornet (IMO)!
plus you get usb! for your computer!
its only slightly larger than tomahawk
when i listen to it,i always stare at it in amazement how something this small,sound so huge! also,its very true what ray states on his website how pitch black silent it is! great with iems!

May 13, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #3 of 28
Do you know how long is the wait after i placed an order?
I am planning to buy one asap, i just can't wait to listen to my music
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by decur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ray usually ships asap!
you can always call him
he is great to chat with!

Ray is the best in the business IMO! My Hornet is used every single day!

rig1kc5.jpg

The Raptor (none portable) is simply stunning to listen to and to look at!

ratpbluejq1.jpg

May 13, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #6 of 28
Woot they do look nice and fancy
biggrin.gif

How's the Hornet comparing to Predator? Is there anyone who can comment on this?

May 13, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by flame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Woot they do look nice and fancy
biggrin.gif

How's the Hornet comparing to Predator? Is there anyone who can comment on this?

I have not heard the Predator but would not second guess that amp if you have any need for the DAC.

"Ray's sound" is recognizable in all his amps, honestly there is no wrong choice only many right ones.

Sorry Im not helping am I?

Somebody will chime in that has heard all three I'm sure!

Good luck!

May 13, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not heard the Predator but would not second guess that amp if you have any need for the DAC.

"Ray's sound" is recognizable in all his amps, honestly there is no wrong choice only many right ones.

Sorry Im not helping am I?

Somebody will chime in that has heard all three I'm sure!

Good luck!

Thanks for the heads up!
Haha, you are definitely helping, more towards Ray's favor.
tongue.gif
But ya i have heard a lot of good reviews on his product too.
Hopefully someone can give me some insight on both of them, if it is worth the money to invest in predator, because the DAC, i don't really need it.

May 13, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #9 of 28
It's not just the DAC, the amp found in the Predator is significantly better than those found in the Hornet and Tomahawk. A fantastic amp that makes me go "WOW" every single day, even though I listen to the same albums over and over.

May 13, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not just the DAC, the amp found in the Predator is significantly better than those found in the Hornet and Tomahawk. A fantastic amp that makes me go "WOW" every single day, even though I listen to the same albums over and over.

So you would suggest it is worth the extra spending on it? If put hornet, tomahawk and predator on a scale of 10, how would you rate them?
biggrin.gif

Btw is the battery life on predator just as good as the other 2?
Thanks!

May 13, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #11 of 28
Scale of 1 to 10, i'd definitely rate it either 10 or 9.5. Battery life is 56 hours, which is fantastic compared to other portable amp/dac combinations (most top out at 20 hours). Not as good as the Tomahawk, but considering it's a lot more powerful, definitely worth it.

May 13, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Scale of 1 to 10, i'd definitely rate it either 10 or 9.5. Battery life is 56 hours, which is fantastic compared to other portable amp/dac combinations (most top out at 20 hours). Not as good as the Tomahawk, but considering it's a lot more powerful, definitely worth it.

Sweet
biggrin.gif
, then maybe i should go with predator in that case.
By any chance we can meet up sometime and listen to it, since we are both from Toronto. Please pm me if you are willing to do it, don't worry about it if you can't, i understand
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #13 of 28
go with the Predator, you can't go wrong.

I have owned Tomahawk before, while I couldn't tell the subtle difference between using amp and not with Tomahawk, I definitely could with Predator.. It's a really amazing lil amp with sound so warmmm yet so detailed.

Plus, in my case I paid Sunday for the Predator and Ray shipped it to me the next day with tracking number, and I got it 2 days after I ordered it... so no worries about customer service/waiting time, you are in a good hand. Not to mention the life time warranty... hahaha you got nothing to loose
tongue.gif
burn the $$$500$$$!! in a good way..

May 13, 2008 at 7:24 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ace8888 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
go with the Predator, you can't go wrong.

I have owned Tomahawk before, while I couldn't tell the subtle difference between using amp and not with Tomahawk, I definitely could with Predator.. It's a really amazing lil amp with sound so warmmm yet so detailed.

Plus, in my case I paid Sunday for the Predator and Ray shipped it to me the next day with tracking number, and I got it 2 days after I ordered it... so no worries about customer service/waiting time, you are in a good hand. Not to mention the life time warranty... hahaha you got nothing to loose
tongue.gif
burn the $$$500$$$!! in a good way..

Hahaha orginally thought i will burn 1k on an open headphone and a closed one, but now half of it goes to the amp. I need some luck on the upcoming lotto
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2008 at 8:06 AM Post #15 of 28
Holy bovine, trose49, I haven't seen you around Head-Fi in ages.
eek.gif
But judging from the pics, you've been enjoying your audio toys a lot lately.
wink.gif

Yes, I would vote for the Predator, mainly because of the DAC flexibility, and its battery life and it is newer technology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back