RS2, SR325, HD600, or DT880?....
Jun 15, 2004 at 4:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

slick

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for another pair of headphones, something with clear highs (but not harsh), and great bass output (i like to listen to rap, rock, techno). i like my HD555's, so i was thinking of the HD600's as my next choice, but the others also seem to be great and have there own strengths and weaknesses. if it helps any, i was thinking about getting the headsave classic amp to power them (though i dont know the specs on the amp yet, i hope for it to work with whatever i buy).
i'm really wanting to try the grados, but are the RS2's really worth the extra money over the HD600's? and according to headroom, they claim that the DT880 is close to or better than the HD600's, who agrees. i'll most likely buy them from that site.

Jun 15, 2004 at 7:38 AM Post #3 of 17
Yesterday my local hifi dealer (Klangpunkt, Aachen, Germany) told me that he is going to get the new Lehmann Audio Linear amp the next weeks. Together with testing this device in comparison to the Rega and Grado amp I will have the possibility to compare some different Grado's there with my Beyer DT770. In earlier days I had also a Sennheiser HD580 so I can describe a bit about the differences between the Grados and Sennheiser as well as Beyer headphones. But it could take two or three weeks like mentioned above.
But your question concerning the difference between the DT880 and HD600 is interesting because it is also my next decision to take. I have already seen one or two reviews containing the one or the other of them but found them not so neutral so I think I have to find a dealer which has both for a comparison. (Klangpunkt has only Grado unfortunately.)

Jun 15, 2004 at 10:44 AM Post #4 of 17
imo, the dt880 is a completely different beast from the hd600 - it's like comparing apples and oranges and asking which is better. it all boils down to personal preference - it's certainly not any case of technical superiority on either headphone's part. imo though, i prefer the dt880.
tongue.gif

you might want to look at the ms-2. it's basically a sr325 with slightly tamer highs (ie resolves their their main complaint). it has a far more meatier (and enjoyable) bass than the dt880 while the dt880 has better extension at the lower end. the dt880 has an incredibly liquid bass. the dt880 has an infinitely wider soundstage, but the ms2s do not have the (imo) slightly metallic colouration that mars the dt880's highs. the ms-2s have a warmer, fuller sound.

hope that helped.
cool.gif

EDIT: to make things easier, i prefer the ms-2s.

Jun 15, 2004 at 10:57 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by slick
I'm looking for another pair of headphones, something with clear highs (but not harsh), and great bass output (i like to listen to rap, rock, techno). i like my HD555's, so i was thinking of the HD600's as my next choice, but the others also seem to be great and have there own strengths and weaknesses. if it helps any, i was thinking about getting the headsave classic amp to power them (though i dont know the specs on the amp yet, i hope for it to work with whatever i buy).
i'm really wanting to try the grados, but are the RS2's really worth the extra money over the HD600's? and according to headroom, they claim that the DT880 is close to or better than the HD600's, who agrees. i'll most likely buy them from that site.

i think you hardly turn back when going for rs2 ....
for what you are saying they are the kind of headphones that could suit you
or ms-2 if you can't afford rs2

Jun 15, 2004 at 4:56 PM Post #6 of 17
i must plead ingorance, but, MS-2? I looked at Grado's site and couldnt find them.
quick question about the RS2's (they are first on my list now), they have that wood on the outside, is that an enclosure of some sorts (is it functional?) or is it for looks only?
and lastly (before i get on your nerves even more), are the RS2's comfortable? i like how comfortable my HD555's are, and i would like to be able to wear the RS2's for a long time (lets say a couple hours) without it getting to me. if anything is going to give me a headache, its going to be the music, not the pressure from the cans on my head.

Jun 15, 2004 at 6:02 PM Post #7 of 17
let me ask you guys this. if i was too use headrooms prices as a reference, we see that the HD600's are $100 less than the RS2. what if the HD600's were $150 less? i only have places near me that sell sennheiser, so if i bought grados or beyerdynamics, it would have to be based on word of mouth. a local place said they can sell me the HD600's for $300, WITH TAX INCLUDED! seems like a killer deal. i'm at work right now, but get off at 3pm, i'm gonna have to go into the city and check this place out.
even though it seems like a killer deal, i can easily afford the RS2. if you were in my shoes, which would you get? i really like what i hear about the RS2's, but its kinda hard to ignore the price on the HD600's.

Jun 15, 2004 at 8:23 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dave-the-rave
Hey Slick,

Buy a pair of slightly used Sennheiser HD-600 on Audiogon.com for $200.

600smile.gif

Or wait for a pr. to show up here for slightly less.
wink.gif

Jun 15, 2004 at 9:15 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

i must plead ingorance, but, MS-2? I looked at Grado's site and couldnt find them.
quick question about the RS2's (they are first on my list now), they have that wood on the outside, is that an enclosure of some sorts (is it functional?) or is it for looks only?
and lastly (before i get on your nerves even more), are the RS2's comfortable? i like how comfortable my HD555's are, and i would like to be able to wear the RS2's for a long time (lets say a couple hours) without it getting to me. if anything is going to give me a headache, its going to be the music, not the pressure from the cans on my head.

my bad, the ms-2s are a headphone made for alessandro high end products by grado labs.
cool.gif

http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html

EDIT: fyi - ms1 ~ sr60, ms2 ~ sr325, mspro ~ rs1

Jun 15, 2004 at 11:52 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
fyi - ms1 ~ sr60, ms2 ~ sr325, mspro ~ rs1

I believe the MS1 is closer to the SR80/125 than it is to the SR60. There was a huge debate on that topic a few years ago. Your other comparisons are dead-on.
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2004 at 12:00 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

I've never heard the RS2, but pretty much all Grados will sound quite different to a HD600 or Beyer 880. The Senn 600 and Beyer 880 are more similar. The 880 has a bigger soundstage and is less fatiguing than the Hd600. The 880's midrange is bit more recessed than on the hd600. Also, the bass isn't as strong but more defined than on the hd600. I think that the bass on the hd600 is rather slow and a bit more bloated than on the beyer 880. The highs on the Beyer 880 sound very selfevident and natural. The overall tonal character of the HD600 is darker than the Beyer 880. Vocals are better on the HD 600 (which is in contrast to the majority of opinions as most people prefer the vocals on the beyer 880).

Jun 16, 2004 at 1:05 AM Post #14 of 17
headphone decisions are so hard, its like when i got into car audio. i spent thousands on stuff before i found what i liked.
i'm gonna try the HD600's. the local place will get me a pair and let me try them for 15 days (thats there return policy on headphones).
i only wish there was a way for me to audition RS2's and DT880's. oh well, if i dont like the HD600's, i'll plunge into the RS2's most likely.

Jun 16, 2004 at 2:52 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

something with clear highs (but not harsh),

great bass output (i like to listen to rap, rock, techno).

The DT880 & HD600 do not to rap, rock & techno really well (which is what I think you are looking for).

You should audition them all. Then decide. If it's rock you may want to get a groovilizer. It's ramped up midrange makes for good 'air guitar'. Better Grados may be your best bet, or perhaps the CD3000 (if you do not find it harsh).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back