Rs2 or Hd-600/cardas with melos?
Jul 30, 2002 at 9:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Ebonyks

Headphoneus Supremus
Yup, i'm buying myself a Melos SHA-1 (off the boards), and i'm still unsure what cans to get for it. Right now, i'm thinking between the RS2 and the HD-600's/cardas, or any other cans that cost less than 500 dollars with extras, such as cable replacements.

These headphones will be used mostly for listening to techno and classical, with a little bit of everything else, including gaming.

Thanks in advance for any reccomendations.

Jul 30, 2002 at 1:30 PM Post #3 of 18
This is still preliminary, but I've been breaking the Audio Technica ATH-A100Ti in on the SHA-1, and it's a very nice combination. I prefer it to the Senn/Cardas with the Melos. If you can swing it, the Grado HP-1000 series is wonderful with the Melos, but those are rare and expensive these days.

Jul 30, 2002 at 3:36 PM Post #5 of 18
Hmm. . . that's odd. I thought the ONLY difference between the rs2 and 1 was the fact the 1 used nice wood and leather. . . I didn't hear a difference. . . hmm.

Jul 30, 2002 at 4:14 PM Post #6 of 18
I'm definitely a Grados/AT lover, so take this with a grain of salt, considering it's a bit biast. The HD600's were very good for orchestral/symphonic music, but for jazz, fusion, and rock I think the RS1's are more transparent, faster, and more tonally accurate. So, IMO, it depends on what your musical tastes are. If you're an orchestral man, I would recommend the HD600's. However, if your tastes are in the categories of rock, fusion, or jazz, then I would recommend the RS1's. As Andrzejpw stated, the RS1's truly are an amazing set of cans. I may even prefer them to my W100's!!!
eek.gif
Although, I'm still not sure about that yet; only time will tell . . .
wink.gif

Jul 30, 2002 at 4:19 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Hmm. . . that's odd. I thought the ONLY difference between the rs2 and 1 was the fact the 1 used nice wood and leather. . . I didn't hear a difference. . . hmm.

The RS-2 uses the same wood construction as the RS-1, but has a smaller chamber.

Jul 30, 2002 at 4:27 PM Post #8 of 18
Just to add my 2 cents. I have Senn 600s w/Cardas Cable and Grado RS1s. I prefer the RS1s over the 600s for rock, jazz, and r&b/soul music. The 600s are much better for classical. I think that the RS1s really get the tone and timbre of instruments right, and I also prefer the more upfront presentation. The one thing I really don't care for on the 600s is the back of the hall sense I get when listening to music.

I think the RS2s are fairly close to the RS1s. Maybe about 90% as good. I would get the RS1s. There is one for sale currently on head-fi. Or search for the HP1s.

That's my opinion, I could be wrong.

Scott

Jul 30, 2002 at 5:08 PM Post #9 of 18
Yeah, i saw that on the boards. The only problem is that i'm currently cash-less, and am looking to buy something in the future.

Hmmm, maybe i need to test both out at a local hifi store...
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the input so far
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 30, 2002 at 5:33 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch

The RS-2 uses the same wood construction as the RS-1, but has a smaller chamber.

hmmm, the reason could also be because I spent all of 2 minutes on each of them. . .

Jul 30, 2002 at 5:42 PM Post #11 of 18
The RS-2 and SR-325 sound very different from each other. The SR-325 has a tendency to sound very bright, even shrill, with much music. The RS-2 sounds brighter than the stock HD600 because of that headphone's recessed treble, and brighter than the RS-1 because that headphone has a bit of midrange/high-bass bloom which obscures the treble.

I firmly believe that the "Grados for rock, Sennheisers for Classical" stereotypes came about based on the lower-end Grados, not the higher-end ones. Part of this is also due to the Sennheisers' wider and deeper soundstage. Soundstage is of near-primary importance to many classical listeners as it is often recorded well to the disc, while rock soundstage seems in my experience to be far more poorly recorded.

However, the Sennheiser HD600 with the Cardas cable is transformed, and the treble that was once recessed comes back... but without the vengeance of the SR325. With the Cardas, the HD600 does cost about the same as a used RS2, though, so it definitely is worth listening to both. But be sure that you use both with the Melos and not just with some in-store amplifier. Otherwise, you will not be able to make an informed judgment.

Jul 30, 2002 at 7:12 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by DanG
But be sure that you use both with the Melos and not just with some in-store amplifier. Otherwise, you will not be able to make an informed judgment.

This is vitally important. There are some combinations of amp/headphone that sound good, and some that don't. I haven't used the RS-1 with the Melos in a long time (note to self: try this again), but if memory serves, it wasn't a great combination. OTOH, the Melos with the Grado HP-1000 is pure magic.

Senn/Cardas with the Melos is good but not world shaking, IMO. I was using the Senn with the Melos before I got the A100Ti, which I think goes better with the Melos. I prefer the HD-600 with something like the ZOTL, or the Moretto HAP-03. Both of these amps have a glorious midrange that really shines with the Sennheisers.

Jul 30, 2002 at 7:49 PM Post #13 of 18
To be honost, i'm almost scared to ask how much the grado HP-1000 is.

And any links you guys can provide would be great

Jul 30, 2002 at 8:15 PM Post #14 of 18
(hi-fives Hirsch again)

Melos and Grado. Melos and Grado. Rinse and repeat.

I normally don't care for Grados, but when I heard Jerikl's Grado 125s with the Melos SHA-1 I was floored. There is a special synergy between them that sounds fantastic. I have yet to hear a better Grado amp!

Regarding Sennheisers, the Melos SHA-1 is a good but not optimal match... regardless of cable used. Thus far, OTL tube amps sound the best with Sennheisers to me.

P.S. I hope that A100Ti fares better with the Melos than the W100 did. Blech!

P.P.S. The Mapletree may displace the Melos as a Grado favorite...

Jul 30, 2002 at 9:33 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

To be honost, i'm almost scared to ask how much the grado HP-1000 is.

I haven't really found many links on these headphones and I would also be interested if someone has additional information on them.

There are three HP-1000 phones; HP-1, HP-2, HP-3 with variations such as the Grado Signature Cable and the finish of the enclosures. There are differences between the models such as phase switches on the HP-1 but not on the other two.

As far as I can tell, the price can be from $400-$700 USD depending on the model and condition. There currently is a HP-2 for sale on ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back