RS1i vs. RS1, the final verdict?
Dec 12, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #4 of 13

Quote:
I've owned 3 different pairs of RS-1's. The vintage pre-2001 RS-1s are the best by far. They come with a wooden box and bear golden fonts. Comparatively, they have a smoother top-end and an overall more neutral presentation. My RS-1 from 2003 (no serial no.) are brighter and more fatiguing. I greatly prefer the MS2 to the new RS-1s and I feel many veteran Grado owners feel the same. Rhydon even started a business upgrading the MS2 to reproduce the legendary HP1000.

Do the buttonless / recent RS1s and the RS1is sound any different.  Which one is better?

Dec 12, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #6 of 13
Hi Dave:

I've owned both and to my ears they are very similar, but I do find slightly less of a mid-bass hump with the RS1i headphones, thus they got my vote. I do prefer the thinner cable of the older RS1s though.

I'd get whatever you could get a better deal on. BTW, they are still one of the very best rock cans that one can own IMO.
L3000.gif

Dec 12, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #7 of 13
To me RS1i are slightly better than the buttonless non i RS1 but the difference is not big.
My favourite is still the vintage RS1 with pink drivers. They just sound a bit more mellow and sweet

Dec 12, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #8 of 13
I have had the RS1 with button. Semi vintage and currently have the RS1i.

If you want the more warmer, thicker, liquid midrange-RS1. The RS1 is more rock centric headphones.
If you want a more balanced headphone that has more bass and treble extension and definition (but thinner midrange)-RS1i. The RS1i can do more genres. 

In fact, if I just my old RS1 with button, I would have kept the PS1000.  But with my RS1i, the jump to the PS1000 was not that great.  
The RS1i really has more refined than the RS1.  But if you have several headphones that can do other genres (which obviously you do) I would just get the older RS1 for more fun rock sound. 

Overall, my vote goes to RS1i. 

Jan 7, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #9 of 13
I just purchased a pair of what the owner claims are rs125's with a vintage rs1 pink driver.  I haven't received them yet but he says him and his friend compared the 125's that he owns to his friends vintage rs1's and they sounded almost identical.  In the case that they are just vintage sr125s(which is probably the case) how much better do you think these will sound then standard 125s?? Anyone with experience with the 2 different headphones?

Jan 8, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
I just purchased a pair of what the owner claims are rs125's with a vintage rs1 pink driver.  I haven't received them yet but he says him and his friend compared the 125's that he owns to his friends vintage rs1's and they sounded almost identical.  In the case that they are just vintage sr125s(which is probably the case) how much better do you think these will sound then standard 125s?? Anyone with experience with the 2 different headphones?

It might be hard to find someone with both versions of the 125s. I do have a pair of SR100 which came out before SR125. They share the same smooth sound of the early Grado with the pink drivers but they do not sound identical to vintage RS1.
Not everyone like the sound of the early prestige Grados with pink drivers but they are collectors' items and demand a higher price than the new ones.

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #11 of 13
I want to resurrect an old thread for all RS1 lovers who loved the old better than the "i" version.
I've had many RS1 variations and one RS1i.  I got to say, I like the RS1 better.  Why?
Yes, the RS1i has more extended bass and treble.  The RS1i also has tighter bass because Grado has reduced the midbass hump.
But by doing so (reducing the midbass hump), the RS1i has sacrificed some of the midrange warmth and punchiness and impact of the bass.  
The RS1i therefore is not as fun and groovy-"the fuzz factor".
The RS1i was cleaner and more detailed but the midrange was thinner and less intimate.
Yes, at first when I switched from the RS1 to the RS1i, I did like the RS1i better.  But it just lacked that Grado magic.  So I vote for RS1.

PS: My opinions are based on flats.  With bowls I might have different opinons but I just don't do bowls. 

Jun 9, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #12 of 13
I have a MINT RS1 with buttons , RS2 and PS1000, heard good things about RS1e but my vote goes to the vintage RS1 with buttons .....its got that kind of magic for rock /bass , the PS1000 are more stage sound atmosphere, The RS2 is sweet for anything that goes

Aug 5, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #13 of 13
Is there a big difference between rs1 buttoned vs ps1000?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back