RS1, or RS2, Which Would You Discontinue?
May 2, 2006 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 68

augustwest

Headphoneus Supremus
RS1, or RS2, Which Would You Discontinue?

With the pending release of the new Grado GS-1000, slated to be the new flagship model of the Grado marquee, which of these would you choose to be discontinued? . . . . . . If one had to go, which would it be?

As a small “boutique” manufacture it is possible that Grado may only be able to support so many models in their line up.

I should point out that this is purely hypothetical and that Grado has not at this point suggested that they will be eliminating any products from their offerings. This poll is merely a “straw” opinion poll to be which product you would ax if you were the marketing manager that had to make that difficult decision.

- augustwest

May 2, 2006 at 7:08 PM Post #2 of 68
DC the RS-2. I like the RS-1 better.
rs1smile.gif

May 2, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #5 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
It seems like they're priced in a way that all three models will continue in production.

I think that is a very good point. There is an excellent array of prices which will soon be filled out with the full release of the GS-1000 and then (hopefully) the StreetStyles. The SS's, SR-60's and SR-80's do a great job of filling out the low range, SR-125 to 225 is a nice jump and then the 325's have a different angle with their metal body. Then, moving up to the wood series, you can spend more for better sound.

All of that being said, I wonder if one of the phones will be discontinued because it will be hard to produce all of these headphones out of the Grado shop? I think it is definitely doable, but might take some rethinking of their production? All of that is pure wondering aloud, I have no idea how things work at the moment. However I do think there is a reason they don't produce 20 different lines - they are still a small business.

May 2, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #8 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
neither.. they're too good to discontinue.

Yeah, why would they discontinue one at all? They both represent very different pricepoints. Pull the SR125 if you've got to pull any model.

May 2, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #9 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Yeah, why would they discontinue one at all? They both represent very different pricepoints. Pull the SR125 if you've got to pull any model.

x2.. the MS1 could easily replace the 125

May 2, 2006 at 8:13 PM Post #10 of 68
Personally, I'd discontinue both and RS1 & RS2 if it were me.

With the new GS-1000 as the flagship, I'd then introduce a new little brother for it, calling it either the GS-2000, or more likely the GS-500. It would take on the appearence of the the GS-1000, thus renewing the premium Grado wood series phones.

That way I could establish new higher pricing for the wood series phones, while generating new interest in the Grado premium products. New sales, reviews, etc. Making the RS series collector items. After all time marches on, and what company want their products to become stagnant in the marketplace?

Just some thoughts, what would you do?

- augustwest

May 2, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #11 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
x2.. the MS1 could easily replace the 125

But the MS-1's aren't officially Grados
smily_headphones1.gif

May 2, 2006 at 8:17 PM Post #12 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
Personally, I'd discontinue both and RS1 & RS2 if it were me.

With the new GS-1000 as the flagship, I'd then introduce a new little brother for it, calling it either the GS-2000, or more likely the GS-500. It would take on the appearence of the the GS-1000, thus renewing the premium Grado wood series phones.

That way I could establish new higher pricing for the wood series phones, while generating new interest in the Grado premium products. New sales, reviews, etc. Making the RS series collector items. After all time marches on, and what company want their products to become stagnant in the marketplace?

Just some thoughts, what would you do?

- augustwest

See, that just doesn't make sense from any financial perspective. The RS1 and RS2 are still excellent headphones. If they were stagnant, wouldn't they have been replaced by now? For all intents and purposes, they have recieved small tweaks over the years. I'm not sure why you want to make a collector's item out of a headphone in such a way.

You're talking about tons of money needlessly spent on testing a new headphone design (Your GS2k) for no good reason. 10 years later, and the RS1 / RS2 are still selling very well. The SR40 wasn't selling well, and John cut production on that, didn't he?

Why do you want something new for the sake of having something new?

EDIT: Looking at your forumla again, I can't help but notice that it is similar to the Audio Technica line of thinking as far as products are concerned. I'm not sure you realize just how small Grado Labs is...

May 2, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #13 of 68
I'd slash the 325i and the 125, they bring shame to the Grado line
very_evil_smiley.gif
, replace the 325i with the old HP2, rebadge the current SR225 as the new SR125, and make a lower end version of the HF-1 to replace the current SR225 to stop everyones fussing.

May 2, 2006 at 8:31 PM Post #14 of 68
"See, that just doesn't make sense from any financial perspective."

Sure it doesn't. Companies remove and replace perfectly viable products all the time. If simply just to generate new "buzz", for their offerings.

In Grados case, they would be using the same raw materials as they do now. So the cost of refreshing the line-up would be minimal, considering the amount of free press and attention they would receive.

- augustwest

May 2, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #15 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
"See, that just doesn't make sense from any financial perspective."

Sure it doesn't. Companies remove and replace perfectly viable products all the time. If simply just to generate new "buzz", for their offerings.

In Grados case, they would be using the same raw materials as they do now. So the cost of refreshing the line-up would be minimal, considering the amount of free press and attention they would receive.

- augustwest

I just don't think you understand Grado though. Grado does not, and probably never will work that way as long as John is at the helm. His philosophy is simple... "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." And let me tell you first hand... the RS1 is not broken. Nor is the RS2. I spoke to John first hand recently, and he specifically mentioned that the RS1 was still after 10 years held in very high regard within the audiophile community.

The GS1k is something new. Right now, there's a growing gap at the end of the headphone spectrum. It's been mentioned for a while now, in several threads... just look up discussion of the Qualia for rumblings about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back