RS-WooooooooW-1:
May 22, 2004 at 1:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

raaj

500+ Head-Fier
My RS-1 is here..and I am listening to it as I type..
rs1smile.gif

The initial impressions are that these phones sound heavenly.. lots of ease playing back all frequencies.. the wooden chambers definitely attribute a different sound to the RS-1 compared to the plastic chambers of the spectacular SR-225 and the metal chambers of the 'tad-too-bright' SR-325..

The sound detail and instrument seperation is a definite step or two above the lesser Grados, and is definitely miles ahead of all the phones I've heard so far (see my sig). Of course, they also cost a tonn more than all my previous headphones put together..
smily_headphones1.gif
But, the initial impression is that the sound might be worth every penny I spent on the cans..

I just wanted to share my excitement with you guys.. I ain't got the time to do a good review of these phones.. as much as I would have loved to..

Ok.. I'll get back to my listening bliss, now.
rs1smile.gif

- Raaj

RS-1:

WoooooW

Superb..

It's a keeper

May 22, 2004 at 1:25 AM Post #2 of 9
Congrats on your new phones, man! Out of curiosity, what's the rest of your rig?

May 22, 2004 at 1:42 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
Congrats on your new phones, man! Out of curiosity, what's the rest of your rig?

Thanks buddy..

All the gear I own is listed in my sig.. Right now I am listening to the NJB3->Kimber Kable IC->Gilmore Lite-> RS-1->
rs1smile.gif

If the RS-1 are sounding heavenly out of my medium-fi source, I would go weak in the knees thinking how good they would sound when I eventually upgrade the rest of my audio chain..

tongue.gif
ATM, RS-1 is definitely an overkill in my setup.. But at least I love the way they sound.. Hehehe.. Now I can legitimately use the RS1smile smiley.
rs1smile.gif

-Raaj

May 22, 2004 at 1:45 AM Post #4 of 9
Congrats, but you're close to pushing me over the edge to buy a pair of real high-end phones.
smily_headphones1.gif
I can imagine that they would sound better with a great source and it's a good investment. Overkill isn't such a bad thing...

May 22, 2004 at 1:52 AM Post #5 of 9
Lol... I'm still at a little loss on exactly how my dad's DT990s sound better than mx300s. I'm not confidently sure, as to why they sound better (other than for the bass end)... they just do. (little voice in the back of my head, "more expensive, is betta! buy more!!!"). I suppose I am in the realm of overkill with these phones eh?

Since I basically jacked my dad's DT990s (he doesn't like to walk all the 20 feet to my room, and pick up his phones, and walk all the 20 feet back to his room), he's thinking about getting a pair of grados... he did test out the RS-1 at a local store, and he seemed to like them. I tested these out myself, and they sounded the same. But my dad liked them, so I could be getting my hands on yet another pair of headphones pretty soon
biggrin.gif

Might be joining you at Team Grado, with another signature change eh?

May 22, 2004 at 4:11 AM Post #6 of 9
Another update..

I am listening to the soundtrack of the movie "The Passion of Christ" (320 Kbps LAME encoded mp3s) using my NJB3->Gilmore Lite->RS-1 and this is quiet frankly 'the best sound I've ever heard' in headphones.. The one obvious difference I notice from my upgrade from Grado SR-225 and 325 is that the treble is more 'recessed'.. I don't know if 'recessed' is the correct word to describe what I am hearing, but, it definitely is not as upfront as with the SR-225/325.. Nevertheless, there is a great solidity, tightness and fullness to the sound..

I guess the wooden chambers of the RS-1 make them sound closer to traditional floor speakers.. I would like to know if anyone else who listened to the RS-1s felt the same way..

-Raaj

May 22, 2004 at 4:22 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

The sound detail and instrument seperation is a definite step or two above the lesser Grados, and is definitely miles ahead of all the phones I've heard so far (see my sig).

RS-1 are miles ahead of ER-4s in detail?

May 22, 2004 at 4:32 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by cadobhuk
RS-1 are miles ahead of ER-4s in detail?

I have to say 'YES'.. but that is from a 'fullness of the sound' point of view..

The Etys are very detailed, but they do skimp out on bass.. Even though I have read countless threads saying that bass is a problem area with the Ety-4S, I bit the bullet based on some peoples' comments that they could hear 'bass that rattles the brain' and sorts of things. If people say that cans like Grados and the Beyer DT series have a bass hump to boost bass, I would think the Etys have a bass trough that takes away the visceral impact that bass adds to music..

So, does the lack of bass make the Etys 'theoretically' less detailed?? I don't have a scientific/logical answer, just as I don't have an answer to your question comparing the detail of the Etys and the RS-1.. But definitely, I am hearing a fuller body music on the RS-1 than I heard on the Ety.. But that just might be what my ears are hearing.. so, take my statements for whatever they are worth..

May 22, 2004 at 4:53 AM Post #9 of 9
Raaj,

Congrats on your new rs-1's! I just got my pair about a week ago and they hardly get a break!
rs1smile.gif

They truly are amazing cans as they not only sound, but look heavenly as well. Are you listening with the flats? The flats completely change the sound for the better. They bring out the midrange and keep them from getting bright, yet they still keep their detail.

Try a better source, you will be very impressed. I plan on getting either an Arcam, a NAD, or (most likely) a Rotel RCD-1072.

Enjoy your cans! I know I'll be enjoying mine!
smily_headphones1.gif

Regards,
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back