RS-2i worth it or mod the crap out of 325i
Mar 27, 2011 at 4:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

WhiteCrow

Is not fooled by rapper-endorsed products.
Well I'm pretty decided I'm getting the RS-2i or rs-1 if i can find it cheep. I saw a thread saying that the 325i heavily modded sound very similar and was wondering if anyone can attest to this. I love the grado sound but hate that high end SSSSSSibilance and from what I hear the 325 are the brightest of the bunch*and it seems bright on here translates into sibilance*. Is this modding 325i actually a legit thing that will pretty much give me some cans comparable to the semi warm tone of the rs-2 or should I just get the rs-2?

Mar 27, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #2 of 39
RS2i = Warm but still detailed.
SR325is = Earshriekingly bright.

IMO. 
smile_phones.gif

RS2i is the natural progression from the SR80i, SR125, SR225i, MS2i.

SR325is is oddball.

But some people do like them.

Mar 27, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #3 of 39
wow some one why posts an honest opinion, this is something I was looking for.

Mar 27, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #4 of 39

Quote:
RS2i = Warm but still detailed.
SR325is = Earshriekingly bright.

IMO. 
smile_phones.gif

RS2i is the natural progression from the SR80i, SR125, SR225i, MS2i.

SR325is is oddball.

But some people do like them.

I agree totally, the 325 is painfully bright!

Mar 27, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #5 of 39
I've owned the 325i and currently own the RS-1, I've listened to the RS-2 but never really "auditioned" them. IMO you'd be most pleased by stepping up to the RS-1, they can be had used for $50 more than a new RS-2. On Head-Fi the RS-2 seems to be thought of a a "tween" phone with no real standout features of its own. I'd also suggest that if you have the opportunity you give a listen to the HF-2 before making a final decision. The HF-2 has its own sound but you may prefer it to all the others. Good Luck. 

Mar 27, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #6 of 39
see, I'm not going to spend 600$+ and from what I have been reading the step up from the rs-2 to rs2-1 is negligible. The HF-2 might be another story but I have never seen one for sale.

Mar 27, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #7 of 39
As far as the Scuttlebutt on the Highs of the 325 is concerned, I think the posters above will give you the idea. What worries me more isn't the allegedly ear-piercing Treble, it's the Eye-Piercing CHROME finish Grado Labs has decided to bestow on the latest production model of those particular phones. I don't know if the MS2 has been similarly afflicted or not.

Seriously, Chrome?

Mar 27, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #8 of 39

Quote:
...from what I have been reading the step up from the rs-2 to rs2-1 is negligible.

I disagree.  I find the rs-2 looks better while the rs-1 sounds better.  Serious about the looks - the rs-1 just looks strange on your head because of the long chambers.

Also from what I've seen used rs-1s tend to go between $450 and $500 (maybe a little more for a very new or very old one).  So it's actually less than a new rs-2 when you include taxes.
One final tip is if you want less "bright" get the rs1i

[size=medium]

Quote:
What worries me more isn't the allegedly ear-piercing Treble, it's the Eye-Piercing CHROME finish Grado Labs has decided to bestow on the latest production model of those particular phones. 

Oh wow 
blink.gif

[/size]

Mar 27, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #9 of 39
yea the ms-2 have been chromed as well, I don't pay taxes on items as I live in Oregon*eff yea Oregon!!!* but I will look into finding a pair of RS-1/2 I am going to try and test them against each other before buying but I'm trying to do research as well. Also I do and don't care about looks, I think they both look beautiful and I wont be wearing them out in public so it wont matter.

Mar 28, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #10 of 39
Since you already have the 325s you can look into the magnum mod - my magnums are the best sounds hp's I've ever spent time with though sometimes they get a little bass heavy.

Mar 28, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #11 of 39
Well I'm pretty decided I'm getting the RS-2i or rs-1 if i can find it cheep. I saw a thread saying that the 325i heavily modded sound very similar and was wondering if anyone can attest to this. I love the grado sound but hate that high end SSSSSSibilance and from what I hear the 325 are the brightest of the bunch*and it seems bright on here translates into sibilance*. Is this modding 325i actually a legit thing that will pretty much give me some cans comparable to the semi warm tone of the rs-2 or should I just get the rs-2?

Honestly, I'd just save up and get the RS1is....and then rest assured that IMO it doesn't get any better for current production Grado cans.

Mar 28, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #12 of 39
honestly, I'm not alone when I say I believe all grados use the same or very similar drivers and the differences are in the presentation of that driver.  a few small mods here and there and they all sound about the same

Mar 28, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #13 of 39
Quote:
honestly, I'm not alone when I say I believe all grados use the same or very similar drivers and the differences are in the presentation of that driver.  a few small mods here and there and they all sound about the same

I disagree. I take you've never heard a SR60 vs a SR125. Also if they were all using the same driver, why does the SR125 sound much brighter than the SR60 with the same pads and housing? Visually they look the same, coating you can't see

So you believe a PS1000i uses the same driver as the SR60i so technically if you take the PS1000i driver and put it in the SR60 housing it should sound the same? I really doubt this.

Mar 28, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #14 of 39

Quote:
I disagree. I take you've never heard a SR60 vs a SR125. Also if they were all using the same driver, why does the SR125 sound much brighter than the SR60 with the same pads and housing? Visually they look the same, coating you can't see

The parts around the driver and the cable are different.  I have heard various grados ranging from the sr80 to the gs1000

Mar 28, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #15 of 39
Cables do not change sound that drastically if anything. Parts around the driver? The SR125 and SR60 both use plastic, what other parts are you looking at? They both use the exact same height for the outer plastic as well as the inner cup. They both use a plastic grill. They both have no dampening on the magnet to be seen. I agree that they look the same

Users who are viewing this thread

Back