RS-1s
Dec 20, 2008 at 5:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

TheMightyMilkMan

New Head-Fier
I have 1 day logged into a newish pair of RS-1s (rounded pads).

What I like:
-Warm liquid sound
-Forgiving to some of my poorer recordings
-Sounds good a low volume
-Comfortable imo

What I dont mind:
-Bass is fine for my tastes

What I dont like:
-Resolution is my main complaint
-Higher frequencies harsh & contribute to fatigue

I listen to a lot of female vocals and guitar. I am not looking for a neutral sound, but rather a well resolved, warm tubey one.

My thoughts have been
-flat pads
-princess sofia tube from woo
-new cables for my RS-1
-and if all else fails comparing to some other cans (pretty happy with my other components)

My gear is in my signature - can anyone offer some suggestions for me?
*** price is an issue - so im looking for the most bang for the buck. THANKS!

Dec 20, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #2 of 21
You should try the pads that comes with SR60's .
RS-1s will sound fuller ,not harsh and more comfy too.
But you will lose airy feeling.
IMO, I love RS1's with thier original pads.
They just sound about right.

Don't go for flat pads, I bought from TTVJ last year and I rarely use them.
RS-1s + Flat Pads = Too much bass , lost sense of 3D soundstage.

PS: Sorry for my poor English.

Dec 20, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #3 of 21
I agree about the flat pads. I used them for recordings with harsh highs, but the highs are cut off, soundstage calapses, and the bass becomes boomy.

The warm midrange is exposed, however, which is a real treat. I could never get the RS-1s to do everything well. Maybe a tube amp can soften things up for you. It sure helped with mine when I had them.

Dec 20, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #4 of 21
Thanks for your comments.

Good to hear about the flat pads - as $35 for a piece of foam is a hard sell.

I am using a tube amp. I'm not unhappy with the overall sound. Just wondering how i might improve things to my taste.

I'd have sprung for the k1000's but wow they are ugly. I just visualize myself dead in those, my head squeezed between what looks like 2 roaring 20's microphones fastened with bright red bands, police photographing my body... honestly, why is everything good for you so hard to swallow?

That being said I'm finally gonna get to audition a pair next week!

Dec 20, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #5 of 21
Have you tried the D5000's with the markl mod? The D2000's also are like the 225's of Denon. Worthy of note stock and even better if modded (cheap mod too), and I hear either of those would be good for you (yes they're closed, but around ear, comfier and don't sound like closed)

I, personally, have not experienced them ... yet.. but that is the general opinion that I garner from reading the forums here.

Dec 20, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccontreras /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TheMightyMilkMan, read this before is a good tip
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/gra...ad-mod-148598/

I would second the suggestion. I tried this mod on the bowls of my MS2i using black electrical tape and found it changed the sound signature significantly. Specifically, it tamed down the highs, pronounced the bass and widened the sound stage. It might not be for everyone, but it's worth a shot seeing as it's very simple to do and reversible.

Dec 20, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Need some burn in time...

Yeah, burn-in was the first thing popping up in my head as well.
Let it play for 200 hours or so, then report back. Most headphones benefit from burn-in imo...

Dec 20, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #10 of 21
I bought the RS-1 used. Previous owner did say they were not completely burned in when i asked, but they are not right outa the box.

Dec 20, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #14 of 21
The RWA is a true black box product.

I saw another electrical tape mod using 1/4 inch holes around the center of the tape. About an inch apart.

Washing the pads and using a bit of scentless softener will also loosen the pads. Then set under a book to flatten.

Dec 20, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #15 of 21
Try flat pads with the RS-1. You can use the SR-60 comfies if you want and inverted Sennheiser HD-414 pads are an option, too. Aside from that, if you want a classic "tubey" sound, find an amp with directly heated triodes (e.g. the 2A3, 300B and 45) and a transformer coupled output. That will give you the sound you're looking for. If all else fails, you might want to think about a different pair of headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back