RS-1/MSP Poll!
Aug 8, 2002 at 5:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

The Quality Guru

Blah! he says.
I am considering an RS-1/MSP for my next purchase. But I was wondering about their 'brightness' and 'fatigue factor,' and how prevalent these are in the RS-1/MSP. And what's a better way to find out than to drain the minds of my fellow Head-Fizers?!!
evil_smiley.gif
tongue.gif

Please mark all the answers in the poll that apply to the
RS-1/MSP in your opinion only if you have heard the headphone. PLEASE do not take the liberty to have a field day and randomly mark away any old answer. Head-Fi is a good place and I trust this won't happen.

Also, I'd really appreciate it if you could make a comment as to how you voted and why you did so.

Thanks.

Regards, Luke

Aug 8, 2002 at 5:44 PM Post #2 of 19
Oy! I meant to make it so that one could fill in all of the answers that apply! If a kind moderator wouldn't mind switching that for me I'd really appreciate it. Evidently I'm not permitted to do it myself.

Aug 8, 2002 at 6:42 PM Post #3 of 19
I can't fathom anyone accusing the RS-1 of bright. Unless it's a complete and utter impedance mis-match with the amplifier or the source is a screeching beast.

Aug 8, 2002 at 7:22 PM Post #4 of 19
I personally didn't think it was too bright (though I thought it was just a little bright) when I listened to it for 15 minutes, however, I am most curious about longer listening periods (45 minutes +).

Aug 8, 2002 at 8:01 PM Post #5 of 19
I could listen indefinitely through my Earmax Pro, often times going 4 or more hours late into the night. It was a great pleasure rather than a pain.

Aug 8, 2002 at 8:10 PM Post #6 of 19
I use the RS1s with a Berning MicroZOTL amp, Rega Planet 2000 CD player, and Magnan Vi cables between amp and cd player. I can listen to that combo for hours on end. It is only bright if the cd is bright.

Aug 8, 2002 at 8:33 PM Post #7 of 19
To me the MSP is superior to RS-1 as it is more neutral, has more treble detail and a tighter bass. To some, MSP may be bright and at first in my system it was bright too. But I found out later that the MSP is quite revealing of bad sources or power. I suggesting getting a good source and power generator to solve the brightness issue. After I got the SCD-1 and PS Audio Powerplant, the MSP sounded perfect. I have bad power so the power plant helped alot as it removed glare and noise.

Aug 8, 2002 at 8:50 PM Post #8 of 19
They are only bright if your source is bright.. My cha-47 and ct570 are both bright so that did not make a good combo. My new setup is very listenable. I also wouldn't recommend the rs1's for classical... rock all the way.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

Aug 8, 2002 at 9:42 PM Post #9 of 19
You forgot one more option...that its treble is so rolled off that it pratically vanishes into thin air.

Aug 8, 2002 at 10:09 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
They are only bright if your source is bright.. My cha-47 and ct570 are both bright so that did not make a good combo. My new setup is very listenable. I also wouldn't recommend the rs1's for classical... rock all the way.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

I have a CHA-47! Am I screwed? BTW, what's your new setup?

Aug 9, 2002 at 12:07 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by The Quality Guru

I have a CHA-47! Am I screwed? BTW, what's your new setup?

See my signiture for my setup hehe.

Note my cha-47 is only 4.5v.. (i wanted sweet battery life) :p

Biggie.

Aug 9, 2002 at 1:40 AM Post #13 of 19
If anyone is concerned about brightness being an issue with either of these 'phones (which, by the way, sound very different from each other), just pair them with a Grado RA-1 amp. No brightness whatsoever......just smoooooothness! (to my ears, of course)
biggrin.gif

Aug 9, 2002 at 3:24 AM Post #14 of 19
The first time I tried them on, the RS-1 sounded weird, almost excessively bright. I tried them once more several months later and thought the brightness I encountered the first time had vanished, replaced by detail and punch in the midrange.
Now I own these cans and I swear by them. I listen to them hours at end coupled with the RA-1, Sony DVP-NS500V, Outlaw PCA.

I love the detail and forwardness these cans give.
I also love the coloration. Every once in a while I put my V6s on and realize how analytical those sound. The 'honey' feeling, the warmth go well with almost everything, classical, jazz, techno, rock, vocals.

I figure, if you don't keep switching cans so as to find out which one is the best, the RS-1s are just right. They grew on me and now I crave the time I will spend with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back