RS-1 + C-Pads vs. GS-1000?
Jun 14, 2006 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Zoide

Headphoneus Supremus
It seems that the GS-1000 is being described in a similar way to the addition of C-Pads to the RS-1: bigger soundstage, more bass, slightly more distant presentation. Has anyone compared the two?

I think this comparison would be much closer and more interesting than just comparing the GS-1000 to the RS-1 w/ bowls or flats.

Jun 14, 2006 at 6:06 PM Post #2 of 11
Funny but when I was considering the C pads for my RS-1, I had a hard time getting a single headfier to vouche for them and say they offer significant improvements. Maybe my thread came at a time where no one was checking it, but I was very suprised cuz I had money burning a hole in my pocket - I mean someone could have lied and said they are great and I would have gone for them, but not a peep other than someone posting a pretty picture of them ... in the end I kept my money (which is rare for me).

Jun 14, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #3 of 11
I didn't like what C-Pads did to my MS2i in the end. I was pretty into it for the first week I had them on, but the echoey artificial soundstage and lack of impact ended up being a detriment. I've only seen one or two RS1 with C-Pads, and never really heard anything positive or negative about them. Seems like if they were some sort of revelation, everyone would be doing it...

Jun 14, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #4 of 11
Ive never heard them before
confused.gif

The idea of blue-tacking something onto my RS1 kind of scares me... UNless thsre is a better way to get them to stick?

Garrett

Jun 14, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Ive never heard them before
confused.gif

The idea of blue-tacking something onto my RS1 kind of scares me... UNless thsre is a better way to get them to stick?

Garrett

Nope, that's how you're supposed to do it. I would have liked to try them out when I had RS1s (just for kicks) but it seemed way too risky for the wood.

Jun 14, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #6 of 11
In retrospect to RS-1 with Zeta Flats, I didn't perceive any increase in bass levels. Actually it was quite the opposite. The main attributes I noticed were increased soundstage and comfort, but to my ears there was an imperfection. Someone mentioned it before. There is a nuance of artificialness.

Jun 14, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi
In retrospect to RS-1 with Zeta Flats, I didn't perceive any increase in bass levels. Actually it was quite the opposite. The main attributes I noticed were increased soundstage and comfort, but to my ears there is an imperfection. Someone mentioned it before. There is a nuance of artificialness.

Yeah, that was me... it's like... there's something sort of wrong at this level that isn't totally within your perception at first. Something very "off." It became quite disconcerting.

I do miss your MS2i though, Usagi... they ended up being a casualty in the Grado upgrade chain!

Jun 15, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #8 of 11
Hmm... I'd like to hear from Jahn. AFAIK he's listened to the GS-1000, and he's also said to love his RS-1 C-Pads...

Aug 9, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #9 of 11
Umm... anyone else on this topic?

Aug 9, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #10 of 11
I'm loving my Headphile 225s with Zeta Flats so far (all ports open). Had them a few weeks and I don't hear any artificial qualities to the midrange. I'd place them somewhere between the bowls and flats in terms of changes in the sound with the added bonus of soundstage (classical is acceptable on them now). I'm using the RS version of them, just in case the upgrade bug hits, and if Larry says there's no risk to the wood that's good enough for me.

Ant

Aug 9, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #11 of 11
Well, I did a ghetto budget c-pad mod. The soundstage has widened a little bit, the highs sound better, and the bass has gotten a little more presence. There is a little bit off for me too though. There's somethin up with the bass that I don't really understand. I think the extension might have gotten worse with the circumaural pads.

Thread to pad mod: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=192579

Users who are viewing this thread

Back