Rpx-100 + K1000
Nov 30, 2007 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Kees

Headphoneus Supremus
Just want to share something I recently found out.
I have always been intrigued by the AKG K1000, but having to match them with a separate amp always kept me away from them.
Last Sunday Blackmore was over and brought his K1000 with him (among other stuff) for me to try out.
I had asked him because I had the idea that my Rudistor RPX-1000 might just be able to drive them decently from the balanced outputs.
So I got myself a converter (4pin to dual 3pin XLRs) and I tried it.

It works. The RPX-100 drives them with ease and authority.

Needless to say that yesterday I all of a sudden happened to find a pair of K1000 for sale for a price that I could not resist.....
rolleyes.gif

And now the K1000 smilie is bust!!!!
frown.gif

Nov 30, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
did you get the pair on audiogon. those were cheap!

No, I got another good deal. It was within EU, so no import duties and less shipping&handling etc...

Nov 30, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I got another good deal. It was within EU, so no import duties and less shipping&handling etc...

Mind sharing source?
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #5 of 13
First of all, congrats with your new "toy", they are one of the best and will make the rest of your great collection not only complete, but also very enjoyeble.
k1000smile.gif

Oh yeah, true thing, cos I was their to
wink.gif

I have to be honest on that one anyway, cos I am a tube guy, so...When you listen K1000 drived by RPX 100 its still SS sound, which isnt bad, but you have to love it.
But when we talking about driving with authority only, oh yes, no problem at all, they go as far as you can take with everything under fully contole.

Dec 1, 2007 at 6:40 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
did you get the pair on audiogon. those were cheap!

I emailed the seller as soon as I spot it and he replied that he received 40 emails wanting to buy his K1000 and I am too late ( and this is all within the first 2 hours of posting).

Too bad.

F. Lo

Dec 1, 2007 at 6:44 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just want to share something I recently found out.
I have always been intrigued by the AKG K1000, but having to match them with a separate amp always kept me away from them.
Last Sunday Blackmore was over and brought his K1000 with him (among other stuff) for me to try out.
I had asked him because I had the idea that my Rudistor RPX-1000 might just be able to drive them decently from the balanced outputs.
So I got myself a converter (4pin to dual 3pin XLRs) and I tried it.

It works. The RPX-100 drives them with ease and authority.

Needless to say that yesterday I all of a sudden happened to find a pair of K1000 for sale for a price that I could not resist.....
rolleyes.gif

And now the K1000 smilie is bust!!!!
frown.gif

Hey Kees,

Me too. I toy the K1000 with my RPX-1000 and was pleasantly surprised of how the combo sounds.

I was feeding a balanced signal from my Benchmark DAC1 USB (I did adjust the internal jumpers to reduce the attenuation) into RPX-100 and the K1000 sings effortlessly - with a soundstage that is second to none.

I do agree with Blackmore that driving the same K1000 from the WA5 is yet another level of satisfaction. But I am pleased that I have more than one amp that can work with the K1000.

Later around Christmas, I will try the K1000 with my EAR HP-4, and see if the HP-4 can marry the K1000.

F. Lo

Dec 1, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #8 of 13
Now this is interesting having myself always been interested in the K1000 and now having become the owner of a RXP-100.

You evil fiend for mentioning this .......

Wallet go hide, quick.

Dec 1, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #9 of 13
Try fully balanced HD650 first with RPX100
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now this is interesting having myself always been interested in the K1000 and now having become the owner of a RXP-100.

Wallet go hide, quick.

Dec 1, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #10 of 13
Yep, Rudi's amps (at least from the RPX-33 on up) are certainly quite powerful indeed.

Dec 1, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wallet go hide, quick.

You're welcome.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 1, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do agree with Blackmore that driving the same K1000 from the WA5 is yet another level of satisfaction. But I am pleased that I have more than one amp that can work with the K1000.

Later around Christmas, I will try the K1000 with my EAR HP-4, and see if the HP-4 can marry the K1000.

F. Lo

Later on I will try to get a converter/switch thing to hook them up to my Audio Innovations First (a quite incredible SET amp), but that will have to wait until I have a bit more time (it will take some elaborate rearranging of my main rig).
For now I am very happy with this solution!

Dec 2, 2007 at 10:02 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try fully balanced HD650 first with RPX100
biggrin.gif

I actually did try that last weekend but didn't think it made a big difference from a balanced L3000. The soundstage was a bit bigger/airier but otherwise I didn't find the basic presentation to be different enough to getting one. I could imagine that a K1000 would be a completely different story even though I would not be able to use them very often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back