RP-HJE900 or RE0?
Sep 23, 2010 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

macrocheesium

Headphoneus Supremus
Right now I'm stuck between these two IEMs, the Head-Direct RE0 and the Panasonic RP-HJE900. I currently have the Nuforce NE-6 (same as NE-7), but I'm looking for something better.

My top priority is sound quality and clarity. I don't really care about bass, all I'm looking for is the overall clearest sounding one, and I would mostly be listening to rock and music with acoustic guitars. This would be with a Cowon J3, if that makes any difference.

Sep 23, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #3 of 14
Do you own both of them?

Sep 24, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #5 of 14
Both have good clarity and sound great. I would probably get the HJE900 however depending on how much treble you can handle as some find the HJE900 too harsh..and the same can go for the RE0. HJE900 has better build however by a long shot.

Sep 24, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #6 of 14
I think RE0 for uber clarity.  Its bass deficiency really enhances the detail.  Although you lose the bass detail but you said that wasn't a concern.  I'm guessing you want to stay around $80 otherwise I'd say the DBAs are pretty good for clarity.

Sep 24, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #8 of 14
Sep 24, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #9 of 14
From what I've seen so far, it looks like the two have equal detail, but the HJE900 sort of "drowns out" the detail with more bass and brighter treble. Would it be possible to tune down the treble with EQ, so that it sounds more like the RE0? I'm a little hesitant to buy IEMs known for poorer build quality.

And yeah, my budget is around $90. But if I can get a much better IEM for a little bit more, you might convince me to get it.

Quote:
Why not an etymotic iem?

Sorry, still kind of a head-fi newb right now, but what's an etymotic iem?

Sep 24, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #10 of 14

Quote:

Sorry, still kind of a head-fi newb right now, but what's an etymotic iem?

Etymotic is a USA manufacturer of some of the most accurate IEM's on the market.  Until the new MC5 ($80 or less sometimes) was released recently, they only produced balanced armature drivers, which are known for clarity and details.  The new MC5 is a dynamic driver, but sounds like a BA driver, IMO -- good clarity and details, but can be EQ'd to give a bit more bass than the RE0, IMO -- and build quality is excellent.

Sep 24, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
Etymotic is a USA manufacturer of some of the most accurate IEM's on the market.  Until the new MC5 ($80 or less sometimes) was released recently, they only produced balanced armature drivers, which are known for clarity and details.  The new MC5 is a dynamic driver, but sounds like a BA driver, IMO -- good clarity and details, but can be EQ'd to give a bit more bass than the RE0, IMO -- and build quality is excellent.

Thanks. I think I've finally come to a decision to go with the Panasonics. I might not get quite as much clarity from them, but from what I've heard almost all of the detail is there, and I'm going to be daring and go with a higher contrast. If it ends up being to much for me, I'm sure with the Cowon's great EQ it shouldn't be too hard to "neutralize" the sound. Thanks again to everyone who replied, you guys really helped out!

Sep 24, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
Thanks. I think I've finally come to a decision to go with the Panasonics. I might not get quite as much clarity from them, but from what I've heard almost all of the detail is there, and I'm going to be daring and go with a higher contrast. If it ends up being to much for me, I'm sure with the Cowon's great EQ it shouldn't be too hard to "neutralize" the sound. Thanks again to everyone who replied, you guys really helped out!

If the 900s are your only phone you will get accustomed to their sig and be pretty happy.

Sep 24, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #13 of 14

Quote:
If the 900s are your only phone you will get accustomed to their sig and be pretty happy.

I hope so... I'm assuming it's going to be a pretty big difference from the NE-6. 
smile_phones.gif

Sep 26, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

I came here asking the same question as you, looking for clarity (although perhaps a little less willing to sacrifice bass response).  I've been on the fence between these two phones for awhile myself, so I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions!

PS - First post, loooooong time lurker though....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back