round three speaker search, this time the budget is set to $3000.
Jun 23, 2005 at 9:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

bhd812

Headphoneus Supremus
Well I am in love in my Dynaudio 122's but the bass or low end stops at 41hz, just not enough for me. I WILL be trying out the Dynaudio 72se's soon..basiclly its a contour in a audience cab...the low end is said to stretch down to 25-28hz...yumm

before I do and end up buying them I want some suggestions on some speakers...here are MUST HAVE'S!!!

Must be floor standing! (take your book shel suggestions to 1st with the little kids..not happening here)

Front firing Is a huge plus almost a demand in itself

the low end has to atleast hit 30hz!...anything above isnt wanted in this Town.

NO I WILL NOT GET A SUB, I WANT A 2 CHANNEL...NOT 2.1

soundstage,imaging has to be atleast up to the Da's I have now..I will decide that when I demo.

the budget is $3,000 used or new...

I will be using them with 50 watt mono TUBE AMPS...keep this in mind

thank you in advance

Jun 23, 2005 at 11:56 AM Post #4 of 27
If your amps have a 4 ohm tap (it would be a binding post on the back, in this case), I highly, highly recommend the Totem Forest. It just barely gets to 30Hz, but it sounds very good. We have all of the Totem speakers in the store I work at except for the Shaman, and I haven't yet heard one I don't like. I've basically fallen in love with the Totem sound (along with the Aerial loudspeakers, but they're way too expensive). Anyway, check out the Forest.

Jun 23, 2005 at 4:07 PM Post #5 of 27
Woo Hoo! New speaker shopping!

OK, so with $3000 bucks you can get some serious speaks...

Brands to look at:
- Legacy Audio
- JMLabs
- Monitor Audio
- Dynaudio
- Van Schweikert Audio

Used Speakers:
- Legacy Audio (Focus 20/20 - maybe a little too high $ still)
- Monitor Audio (Gold Reference 60)
- Van Schweikert Audio (VR-4jr)

Brands to avoid if you like dynaudio or want powerful bass response:
- Martin Logan
- Vienna Acoustics
- Totem Acoustics (these guys are known for big bass in small packages... don't believe the hype. There is more to good tight bass than efficient porting )

Gotta get back to work but that will get you started.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Jun 23, 2005 at 5:24 PM Post #7 of 27
Billy ...

Check out the Meadowlark Osprey. Specs say only down to 30 Hz, but they sounded very full and balanced with no low end deficiency to my ears when visiting a friend in Maine a few months ago. 88 db efficient, and 8 ohms, so your monoblocs should have little problem making them sing.

The fact that they are hand built, and are drop dead gorgeous just add to the reasons to consider them.

Jun 23, 2005 at 5:45 PM Post #9 of 27
If you can find a used pair of Onix Reference 3s for $3K, I would jump on them. I have been on a search for $15K speakers, and have been unsuccessful as of yet b/c my $4500 Ref. 3s send better than anything I have auditioned thus far.

I checked out Martin Logan Summits yesterday and was severely disappointed.

Jun 23, 2005 at 5:50 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
totem in most of their designs use Dynaudio drivers..hehe

I'm pretty sure that's not true. They may use Dynaudio drivers in one or two designs, but last time I looked at Totem speakers (a couple months ago), I recognized Seas tweeters and woofers made by Peerless of India (not Peerless of Denmark). The woofers marked "M11" are definitely made by Peerless of India.

The Totems look nice, but they are not voiced neutrally, so you really need to audition them before buying. Totem doesn't aim for a flat frequency response on most of their models (see the various Stereophile measurements). Personally, I didn't like this sound, but it may be just your thing.

Jun 23, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
If you can find a used pair of Onix Reference 3s for $3K, I would jump on them. I have been on a search for $15K speakers, and have been unsuccessful as of yet b/c my $4500 Ref. 3s send better than anything I have auditioned thus far.

I checked out Martin Logan Summits yesterday and was severely disappointed.

or a pair of the Onix Rocket RS1000 new for $2799. i've only heard the smaller towers (750, i think?), but they sounded darn good powered by an integrated tube (forgot brand).

the 1000 have 8" side-firing woofers, each powered by a 350 watt amp... don't know if that would be a deal-killer for you.

oh... and the ebony finish just screams "panache":

speakers_46_4.jpg

Jun 23, 2005 at 6:37 PM Post #12 of 27
I was looking to upgrade speakers to something in your buget as well with similar requirements (floor standers, don't want to use my sub anymore, 25 watt tube monos) and decided on something that only came to half of what I was willing to spend: Cain & Cain Abbys. I purchased a pair in a custom finish and they are shipping my way tomorrow. I've read mixed things about the low end (some saying its a bit light, others saying what is there is very punchy and satisfying). I talked to a C&C rep today who told me with proper room placement, a sub should not be necessary--I dunno, right now its a toss up.... I dunno what caught my attention wasn't their frequency response/audiophile adjectives, but their repeatedly reported ability to convey emotion.

I've never heard the speakers before but will comment more next week when they're in my posession. The other speakers I was curious about that are also high efficiency are the Coincidents. They're gorgous speakers too and can be had in your budget.

Jun 24, 2005 at 5:56 AM Post #13 of 27
Take a serious look at the Joseph Audio RM25si Mk.II in that price range and frequency response. They are only 2dB down at 32Hz.
http://www.josephaudio.com/product.rm25simk2.html
Mine are just awesome. I listened to a lot of speakers before picking them and am so glad I didn't settle for anything less. If I HAD TO buy a less expensive floorstander, I'd probably buy a pair of PSB Stratus Goldi. Very musical, and were within 5% of the RM25s sonically. The phase angle might make them tough for your tube amps to drive. No such problem with the Josephs. They are often demoed at the shows with tube gear.

Jun 24, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #14 of 27
When they come up used either the www.Legacy-Audio.com SignatureIII (rated down to 20 +2db- with 93 senn.) Or the Legacy Classics rated to 22 with senn. of 92 will come in well under your budget. Or just save a few bucks more and pick up the Classics new. I think your 50 watt amps would drive them fine. They are however rated at 4 ohms.
They also are some of the best finished speakers made. Have fun.
icon10.gif

Jun 24, 2005 at 8:54 PM Post #15 of 27
Just throwing another suggestion out there but have you looked into the NHT Evolution T6? Stereophile gave them a rousing a review and they seem like they have gobs of bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back