roughly how much is this diy ?
Sep 22, 2004 at 1:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

james902

100+ Head-Fier
i'm looking to build either a BASIC PIMETA or MINT. I just need a rough ball park number so i can guesstimate how much money i'll be spending. (obviously it's not going to be bare bones like my cmoy =)

I use my laptop as a source and ER4P's to listen to whatever music

Sep 22, 2004 at 2:08 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by james902
i'm looking to build either a BASIC PIMETA or MINT. I just need a rough ball park number so i can guesstimate how much money i'll be spending. (obviously it's not going to be bare bones like my cmoy =)

I use my laptop as a source and ER4P's to listen to whatever music

About $100 + power supply cost for a basic pimeta using good parts, but nothing fancy http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...37&postcount=9
Add stacked buffers, better case, better opamps, fancy jacks, etc. and it goes up fast.

Sep 22, 2004 at 2:14 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zemo
Well, there are good parts lists at www.tangentsoft.net/audio. Use one of those lists in conjunction with www.mouser.com or www.digikey.com (among others) to calculate cost.

-Z

ehhe i was going to do that, but i just wanted a quick answer
tongue.gif
we all get a little lazy.

i figure these amps vary depending which opamp, cap, etc etc i use. i just wanted a baseline ballpark figure.

Sep 22, 2004 at 1:16 PM Post #9 of 10
The place where big differences can really start to mount up is regarding your casing options. A mint tin for a MINT amp is $2, a Hammond case for the Pimeta could run $20. Wall wart or batteries or open linear PSU also make a significant difference in price.

Once you case an amp for yourself you start to realize why it cost more to have someone else do it also... while not that difficult to do, it takes a substantial investment in time to make it come out respectable.

Sep 22, 2004 at 6:44 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoochile
Once you case an amp for yourself you start to realize why it cost more to have someone else do it also... while not that difficult to do, it takes a substantial investment in time to make it come out respectable.

I agree, I just built a CMOY and it took far longer to case it up than it did to actually build the circuit.

I think you will be able to get away cheaper with the Mint. By nature it is not really "expandable" and is designed to be run on batteries. With a Pimeta you will be tempted to keep adding more and more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back