Rotel 1072 CD player
May 18, 2004 at 3:23 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by JefferyK
I have a Rotel RCD-1072, plugged into an NAD C320BEE. I love it. It is very, very musical. It does the "air" thing that vinylphiles swear is a property solely of records: instruments are separate and distinct across a vivid soundstage. Smooth. Loads of detail. Very black background. I am not getting any harshness from this CDP in my setup, nor am I suffering from detail overload. Zero listening fatigue.Jeffery

JefferyK,

It sounds like you really like your rotel 1072. This player is one of the top contenders for my upcoming source upgrade. Does this player ever sound bright to you or is the sound well balanced? Have you noticed any specific genre of music that sounds "best" with it?

Thanks for helping me out, I really appreciate it.

Regards,
Dan

May 18, 2004 at 8:00 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan the audioman
JefferyK,

It sounds like you really like your rotel 1072. This player is one of the top contenders for my upcoming source upgrade. Does this player ever sound bright to you or is the sound well balanced? Have you noticed any specific genre of music that sounds "best" with it?

Thanks for helping me out, I really appreciate it.

Regards,
Dan

My Rotel doesn't sound bright to me. I play all kinds of music on it. It seems to do best with classical (where lots of detail really makes a big difference).

I will say this: It sounded like crap at the shop. Which taught me a few lessons: (1) speaker setup is incredibly important; (2) you can't form an opinion on a piece of equipment until you've listened to it at home; and (3) system synergy is everything.

Can you audition one?

Jeffery

May 18, 2004 at 8:14 PM Post #18 of 24
A word of warning. I know a number of people who own or have owned RCD-991's and it seems this is the worst of the bunch. The sound quality is not great for the price, and the transport seems prone to failure, at least 2 out of the 4 or so people I have known who have had them have had transport issues, and they did not rate the sound quality, saying it was boring and uninvolving.

My advice would be to go for one of the other Rotel players.

May 18, 2004 at 8:32 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

My Rotel doesn't sound bright to me. I play all kinds of music on it. It seems to do best with classical (where lots of detail really makes a big difference).

I will say this: It sounded like crap at the shop. Which taught me a few lessons: (1) speaker setup is incredibly important; (2) you can't form an opinion on a piece of equipment until you've listened to it at home; and (3) system synergy is everything.

Can you audition one?

Jeffery

Thanks.

I am planning on auditioning one within the next month when I have time. The place I go to will allow me to bring my whole setup along to hook up, so I won't have to worry about poor auditioning equipment.

Regards,
Dan

May 18, 2004 at 9:04 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Thanks.

I am planning on auditioning one within the next month when I have time. The place I go to will allow me to bring my whole setup along to hook up, so I won't have to worry about poor auditioning equipment.

Regards,
Dan

I've gotten the impression that in this price range, the choice is between the Rotel and the Arcam 73.

Jeffery

May 18, 2004 at 9:25 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett
A word of warning. I know a number of people who own or have owned RCD-991's and it seems this is the worst of the bunch. The sound quality is not great for the price, and the transport seems prone to failure, at least 2 out of the 4 or so people I have known who have had them have had transport issues, and they did not rate the sound quality, saying it was boring and uninvolving.

My advice would be to go for one of the other Rotel players.

Is it possible that this was system dependent? Rotels tend to be on the warm side of the spectrum but not overly. I have heard this player in a couple of systems that were lively and involving. They have had their 991s for 5 years without issue.
Anyway good luck in your search and look forward to hearing more opinions on the 1072.

May 19, 2004 at 12:44 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

I've gotten the impression that in this price range, the choice is between the Rotel and the Arcam 73.

Jeffery

The arcam 73 was my other choice. I will be auditioning it at the same place as the rotel. Though as far as used, I found a few arcam cd92's (with the famous "ring" DAC) on audiogon a little while ago for around $700 which is just inside my price range. Then again, I could probably find a used 1072 for about $600. I look forward to auditioning these players, though I get the feeling I will end up with the 1072.

Regards,
Dan

May 19, 2004 at 6:27 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

The arcam 73 was my other choice. I will be auditioning it at the same place as the rotel. Though as far as used, I found a few arcam cd92's (with the famous "ring" DAC) on audiogon a little while ago for around $700 which is just inside my price range. Then again, I could probably find a used 1072 for about $600. I look forward to auditioning these players, though I get the feeling I will end up with the 1072.

Regards,
Dan

I haven't heard the Arcam and am VERY curious, especially RE: how it compares to the Rotel, so please post your impressions.

Jeffery

May 21, 2004 at 10:38 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
Yep, I have a RCD-02 at present and am selling off my 855, the 855 is mechanically dead quiet in action while the 02 chatters a bit - but the sound is great but you know you always want something just that little bit better.....

Yes the RCD-855 was a great player. Still have it but mainly use it as a burning in tool after I changed the lens unit - CDM-4-19 if memory serves me right -. Have 2 RCD-971 and they sound very good - a little mechanical sounding - but over all quite good - somewhat like Latoya London in American Idol :) (please don't flame me for this - I really do like her but just lacks that last ounce of passion/colour)

Still Rotel has always been and continues to be a brand that offers excellent value for money.

As for modifications dont look upon it as a way to fix a bad sounding unit. Ultimately the design parameters are there. If you like the sound to begin with then by all means go ahead.

The RCD-1072 (which I have yet to hear) is very similar to the RCD-1070 (which is quite good). Very dynamic and maybe a little bit more passion (like Latoya on a good day)

Frankly, it's a hard choice.

PS: Was surprised that america voted her out(or should I say didnt vote)

Was sad when Philips stopped making nice transports like the CDP-9 Pro used in the Rotel RCD-990. A player I have been hunting for its transport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back