Rotary Subwoofer cabable of frequencies of lower than 1HZ!
Sep 11, 2007 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

gritzcolin

500+ Head-Fier
http://www.rotarywoofer.com/

Quote:

Want to hear what 5Hz sounds like? A new woofer technology unlike any other and a new product category for home audio. This is the first home audio woofer delivering true response to DC. The Thigpen Rotary Woofer is the worlds first true infrasonic home audio or home theater woofer. Conventional subwoofers roll off rapidly below 20Hz. With no cone the rotary woofer achieves high efficiency at very low frequencies. Most subwoofers have a difficult time producing acoustic output below 20Hz at audible levels. They generally require large amounts of equalization, distortion rises rapidly, and even the most expensive available cannot produce significant output below 10Hz. Subwoofer electronics usually contain a cutoff filter which sharply rolls off content to the subwoofer below 20Hz to protect the speaker. On the other hand, the rotary woofer has enough acoustic output to move an open door back and forth .5” between 1 and 5Hz! It has enough output to find resonance frequencies of walls and ceilings in a room. It requires no equalization to achieve flat response to below 1Hz. Microphones have low frequency capability that far exceeds the low frequency output of current subwoofers. In many cases infrasonic information is in a recording, it is not being reproduced by the sound system. A missing link in sound reproduction. Experience special effects like never before. If you want to hear and feel the 4-5 hertz fundamental frequency from a helicopter rotor, the low frequency rumble of wind, the space of a concert hall or infrasonic information contained in an explosion, this is the only woofer technology available. Over the years the generally accepted low frequency limit of hearing has been 20Hz, some suggesting 16Hz. However nothing existed to produce significant enough output to change this belief. This development will spawn new special effects and we will begin to understand the true low frequency limit of human hearing. Currently engineering development is underway for rotary woofer utilization in theme park attractions, concert venues, and professional audio.

This may be old news to some but it is still fascinating.

Sep 11, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #2 of 11
Put that in a living room and somebody will die lol. Seriously, that might be dangerous.

Sep 11, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #3 of 11
I am a bit skeptical of how well it works.

It is rotary, and has metal blades, the mass of those blades is much greater than a subwoofer cone. So it will take some time for the blades to spin up, and slow down. Where regular speakers the change is almost instantaneous.

There is probably a good reason these aren't becoming more popular.

Sep 11, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #4 of 11
Wilson audio has something like that for years.
Quote:

Put that in a living room and somebody will die lol. Seriously, that might be dangerous.

True! I remember an experiment were a 10 hz tone at less then 200 watts was able to make cracks in the walls of a house. Can't remember what the walls are made of, but this thing can probably do serious damage to many houses.

Sep 11, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a bit skeptical of how well it works.

It is rotary, and has metal blades, the mass of those blades is much greater than a subwoofer cone. So it will take some time for the blades to spin up, and slow down. Where regular speakers the change is almost instantaneous.

There is probably a good reason these aren't becoming more popular.

my understanding is that the blades spin at a constant speed but induvidually turn on axis depending on the frequency played.

Sep 12, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my understanding is that the blades spin at a constant speed but induvidually turn on axis depending on the frequency played.

Yup, thats how the changes are made instantly, I really want to hear these or get a rich friend to install some in his car and go do db drags.

Sep 12, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #9 of 11
Very cool technology, but I still want this guys setup!

http://www.royaldevice.com/custom3.htm

Ah, the lovely basshorn... sick.
blink.gif

Sep 12, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is not your grandpas subwoofer, this is for extreme people only. If you put bigger blades on it and upgrade the motor power, you can crack the glass in your windows from the extreme power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back