Rosson Audio Design RAD-0 - Alex's Beautiful New Baby
Jan 29, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #331 of 1,032
64266C18-C5D8-4213-85E3-B4787C7FAD3F.jpeg Here my adapters
It’s thin but it’s absolutely wrong

Jan 29, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #332 of 1,032
It works but lose signal all the time because I have to put them in the middle position

Jan 29, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #333 of 1,032
And I am very very unhappy I can’t use he1000se cable for them. I like he1000se and I was thinking to buy them in the future to pair them with rad0 but now it doesn’t have any sense anymore.

Jan 29, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #334 of 1,032
Yep, the pin-outs being non-standard is stupid. I'm not aware of any sonic benefit of doing this. It seems like a 'typo' as it were. As for the size and depth of the holes for the jacks, that's not uncommon. My Beyer T1 had very small holes. When I got a custom balanced cable, the first one wouldn't connect because the barrels were too big.

Really odd the way the left and right jacks are wired differently. With pretty much every other can which uses the 2.5 or 3.5 mm connector, you can use a TS connector -- wiring each channel negative to the shank, each channel positive to the tip. Can't do that with the RAD-0, since the right channel positive is connected to the ring, not the tip.

That said, anyone making cables should be able to use the diagram in question.

@XERO1 It might make sense to link this post:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ros...autiful-new-baby.905794/page-16#post-15189901

which includes the wiring diagram on the first page.

Or maybe even just copy the graphic there.

OK, I just thought of one benefit of the non-standard wiring -- you can't accidentally swap the channels -- if you plug the left lead into the right side (and vice versa) no sound will come out. Still silly though. I mean how hard is it to look at the letters on the leads and put the correct one in the correct side?

Jan 29, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #335 of 1,032
Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jan 29, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #336 of 1,032
OK, I just thought of one benefit of the non-standard wiring -- you can't accidentally swap the channels -- if you plug the left lead into the right side (and vice versa) no sound will come out.

Actually, it works fine if you swap the channels (though obviously the channels are swapped).

The internal wiring in the headphone uses both the ring and tip connections for the + connection on both sides, and the sleeve for -.

In theory that let's you have twice the contact area on the connection, though of course you have to wire the cable so it's + connections do use both ring and tip for that - and the stock cable doesn't.

Jan 29, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #337 of 1,032
And I am very very unhappy I can’t use he1000se cable for them. I like he1000se and I was thinking to buy them in the future to pair them with rad0 but now it doesn’t have any sense anymore.
THIS is why it's so stupid. I mean good cables can be a significant investment, so it's nice to be able to use them on multiple cans and swap them for comparison.

I guess you could get some std-to-Rosson adapters made, but ... sheesh!

Jan 29, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #338 of 1,032
I mean good cables can be a significant investment
no, it is absolutely not. it's expenditure and not a great expenditure. so don't fool yourself. there are a lot of people who think they make some investment in their audio, watches, cars, whatsoever - but they are just wrong)

Jan 29, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #339 of 1,032
Actually, it works fine if you swap the channels (though obviously the channels are swapped).

The internal wiring in the headphone uses both the ring and tip connections for the + connection on both sides, and the sleeve for -.

In theory that let's you have twice the contact area on the connection, though of course you have to wire the cable so it's + connections do use both ring and tip for that - and the stock cable doesn't.
Hmmm...really? The wiring diagram provided by Rosson belies this. It indicates that the ring is open on the left side and that the tip is open on the right side.

But I guess that would make some sense -- if the tip and ring are both wired positive, then a TS connector would be shorting the the positive & negative. I guess if 'standard' TRS connectors wire both the ring and shank to the negative side, that would explain why they don't work.

Jan 29, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #340 of 1,032
no, it is absolutely not. it's expenditure and not a great expenditure. so don't fool yourself. there are a lot of people who think they make some investment in their audio, watches, cars, whatsoever - but they are just wrong)
Oh, I guess you're objecting to the word 'investment'. Kind of a silly argument, but ... investment can be broadly defined as an expenditure made with the intent of accruing some future benefit. In its most common usage, investments are intended to accrue financial benefits, such as an income stream, or a capital gain. But investments can be made to accrue non-financial benefits. For example, governments invest in defense (say when they build $13B aircraft carriers) with no expectation that there will be a future financial benefit.

I must say that the recent sale of the Bullitt Mustang for $3.4M suggest that some cars can be an investment :)

Jan 29, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #341 of 1,032
please don't say me about "investments" in aircraft carries and "in defense") country where I was born go bankrupt and was totally destroyed because this kind of "investments" - huge "investments" by the way - during cold war, so hundreds of millions of people, me included, had nothing to eat as a results of this "investments". and when this global "investments" were strongly reduced in 90s all over the world - the world economy started 15-years period of the biggest economic rise in the history of human race. so it is definitely not an investment in any kind - as well as cables for headphones)) a lot of audiophiles also has nothing to eat because they need new cables all the times))

to be honest - a lot of technological breakthroughs was a side-results of wars and military expenditures - internet, sputniks and gps, computers, many chemicals and so on. but it was side effect)

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #343 of 1,032
Hmmm...really? The wiring diagram provided by Rosson belies this. It indicates that the ring is open on the left side and that the tip is open on the right side.

Yes, really.

On the headphone, both the tip and ring are connected internally on both sides. Or at least they are on the units I've had through my hands (I own #12, and I've played with several others).

The diagram does accurately shows how the cable itself is wired.

But since you have a set yourself, it's easy to test. Flip the left and right connections and see what happens. If they're built the same way as mine, it'll work but the channels will be reversed. If not, you'll get no sound.

Jan 29, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #344 of 1,032
Yes, really.

On the headphone, both the tip and ring are connected internally on both sides. Or at least they are on the units I've had through my hands (I own #12, and I've played with several others).

The diagram does accurately shows how the cable itself is wired.

But since you have a set yourself, it's easy to test. Flip the left and right connections and see what happens. If they're built the same way as mine, it'll work but the channels will be reversed. If not, you'll get no sound.
Ah, so the wiring diagram is for the cable not the cans. Got it, thanks. Perhaps a diagram showing that should be added to the front page.
please don't say me about "investments" in aircraft carries and "in defense") country where I was born go bankrupt and was totally destroyed because this kind of "investments" - huge "investments" by the way - during cold war, so hundreds of millions of people, me included, had nothing to eat as a results of this "investments". and when this global "investments" were strongly reduced in 90s all over the world - the world economy started 15-years period of the biggest economic rise in the history of human race. so it is definitely not an investment in any kind - as well as cables for headphones)) a lot of audiophiles also has nothing to eat because they need new cables all the times))

to be honest - a lot of technological breakthroughs was a side-results of wars and military expenditures - internet, sputniks and gps, computers, many chemicals and so on. but it was side effect)
Now this is completely off-topic. Here, let me change my original post:
THIS is why it's so stupid. I mean good cables can be a significant expenditure, so it's nice to be able to use them on multiple cans and swap them for comparison.

I guess you could get some std-to-Rosson adapters made, but ... sheesh!

Jan 29, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #345 of 1,032
Yep, the pin-outs being non-standard is stupid. I'm not aware of any sonic benefit of doing this. It seems like a 'typo' as it were. As for the size and depth of the holes for the jacks, that's not uncommon. My Beyer T1 had very small holes. When I got a custom balanced cable, the first one wouldn't connect because the barrels were too big.

Really odd the way the left and right jacks are wired differently. With pretty much every other can which uses the 2.5 or 3.5 mm connector, you can use a TS connector -- wiring each channel negative to the shank, each channel positive to the tip. Can't do that with the RAD-0, since the right channel positive is connected to the ring, not the tip.

OK, I just thought of one benefit of the non-standard wiring -- you can't accidentally swap the channels -- if you plug the left lead into the right side (and vice versa) no sound will come out. Still silly though. I mean how hard is it to look at the letters on the leads and put the correct one in the correct side?

So you're save by wiring each channel to tip and ring, i guess. That's the same wiring like my oem Quad Era-1 cable.
Should solve the problem.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back