Rosson Audio Design RAD-0 - Alex's Beautiful New Baby
Dec 7, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #288 of 1,033

Dec 8, 2019 at 12:49 AM Post #289 of 1,033
I have the RAD-0 and a 2019 LCD-XC. While I would agree the bass dynamic of the RAD-0 is not the best (worse than my LCD-XC), it surely isn't Mr-Speaker like. What I don't agree is the resolution part in this Max Setting review. My RAD-0 definitely resolves better than my LCD-XC across the frequency range (more micro details), and I believe my LCD-XC is equal to HD800 in resolution. One thing I notice is the RAD-0 in this review seems to have the headband stretched very much. My pair of RAD-0 would have the pads touching each other when being put on table.

Also the FR curve of my RAD-0 resembles more like the one in the Resolve Review than the one in this Max Setting review.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 1:35 AM Post #290 of 1,033
I have the RAD-0 and a 2019 LCD-XC. While I would agree the bass dynamic of the RAD-0 is not the best (worse than my LCD-XC), it surely isn't Mr-Speaker like. What I don't agree is the resolution part in this Max Setting review. My RAD-0 definitely resolves better than my LCD-XC across the frequency range (more micro details), and I believe my LCD-XC is equal to HD800 in resolution. One thing I notice is the RAD-0 in this review seems to have the headband stretched very much. My pair of RAD-0 would have the pads touching each other when being put on table.

Also the FR curve of my RAD-0 resembles more like the one in the Resolve Review than the one in this Max Setting review.

LCD XC RESOLVES as well as the HD800? Smh.

Dec 8, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #291 of 1,033
With my month or so with the Rad-0, I think the sound of the headphone really changes depending on source. I've had great success with the Monolith Liquid Platinum and with the portable chord hugo that I use at work.

Out of my more powerful Bryston BHA-1, the Rad-0's really kind of sucked.
I had mixed results out of my double Questyle CMA800 balanced setup, they were okay but not super.
Will test them with my recently acquired Massdrop THX AAA789, and post back.

What I can say is that when the match works, as it does with the first two amps mentioned, the sound is spectacular. It easily beats my LCD-3 and XC with solid resolution, good bass extension and impact, good mids, and well done treble. Detail is excellent for a planer, yet the sound is highly musical.
I don't hear it at all as the one reviewer with the negatives mentions.
Can't compare it to the LCD-4, or the X as I've never heard those phones.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #293 of 1,033
LCD XC RESOLVES as well as the HD800? Smh.

I don't know about the older LCD-XCs, but my particular 2019 (could be made in 2018) LCD-XC does resolve as well as the HD800 (if not better in the bass frequency).

The reality is the HD800 resolves well only within a narrow band of mid frequency range, with missing details in bass and treble. This is the reason why many people find the tonality of the HD800 "off". Good tonality requires good resolution across the entire frequency range.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #294 of 1,033
I am spending more time with my recently acquired RAD-0 this evening. I find the RAD-0 is indeed very special, almost sounding "plucked instruments" optimized. Guitar, double bass, harp, harpsichord all sound very "attention grabbing", very layered. Organ also sounds very good.

For me, the RAD-0 is worthy of its price just for its harpsichord sound reproduction alone.
folder.jpg
folder.jpg folder.jpg
folder.jpg
folder.jpg
Hazy and grainy mid-range? Hah?

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #295 of 1,033
Well, a few minutes into the Massdrop THX AAA789 with the RAD-0, and I have to say, not bad, not bad at all. Sounds a bit rough, but the amp probably has to settle in a tad. Will report back if this is not the case. So far the Monolith Liquid Platinum pairs best of my various amps.

Btw, this is one fine tune to check out the Rad-0 with (Neil Young cover - first song on this EP is the best):

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #299 of 1,033
My Orange Sapphire pair is done but unfortunately I am leaving tomorrow for 10 days so I will not see it until the 23rd.... Marry Christmas to me!!!

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Dec 12, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #300 of 1,033
I tried a RAD0 a few weeks ago as well. Here are a few thoughts.

Sound wise these sounded fine and in 20 minutes of listening these have a nice unoffensive sound much like the HD580/600/650 series is (However, RAD-0 does NOT sound similar to HD580 and successors). Mostly focused on listening to bass b/c that's where planars excel. Planar bass is actually a little more "crispy" and has more texture versus planar competitors. You can hear some more technicalities in the bass and the transients are both a little faster and sharper sounding. Overall more refined. Not fatiguing or thumpy in any annoying way (but slam, presence, and umph is still there). Versus a modded HE6, these have less slam and macrodynamics and just a little less quantity-wise overall (but still enough). Versus LCD2/3, much more of a cohesive sound in the bass but no individual component or 1 sound stands out (versus if I listened to any 1 thing with previous LCD3, it sounded good by itself). Also the decay was longer on LCD2/3 if that's your thing. Versus EFO1.1, these have more bass all around. Lastly, b/c planars, if we just talk bass quantity (assume "enough amp"), HE6 >> RAD-0 >= LCD2/3 > EFO 1.1 (or EFO 1).

Headphone was very comfortable and light enough but anyone with a large or above sized head - try before you buy - these may not fit your head in stock form. IIRC you can ask for a bigger headband when ordering though. I have a large head (height wise) and I usually wear most headphones between 90-100% of the biggest setting - I had to set RAD-0 at about 90/95%. For reference, there are a few headphones like Ether 2 where I either cannot get the headphone on or need to spend a lot of time messing with it to get it to fit properly. I also have a somewhat prominent crown on the top of my head these are light enough, have enough padding up top (versus just a band), and clamp/sit on my head in such a way that I wasn't bothered - I can't say the same for most other headphones with a suspension type headband.

One big benefit is RAD-0 is relatively easy enough to drive. RAD-0 can piggyback off most headphone amps you use for dynamics, including tube amps - a huge plus for those who prefer tube amps. No need for a specific high power SS or hybrid headphone amp, or in case of HE6, a speaker amp + pre.

IMO Price is a bit high vs competitors on the market right now but I wouldn't say it's so high that it's unthinkable. I also get wanting to recoup initial costs sooner and (unfortunately) the general direction of the high end headphone market, etc.

I like the RAD-0 but they won't displace anything more me right now, especially at their current price. However, if the price comes down closer to $2k, these would be competitive versus other high end planars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back