Rosson Audio Design RAD-0 - Alex's Beautiful New Baby
Jun 16, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #811 of 1,033
1623865865097.png

Grill options for my personal RAD 0 are here! Alex and the team are letting me paint certain pieces since we're matching them to very specific paint I have here for other reasons (a costume that I am building from Star Wars)!

Jul 24, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #814 of 1,033
Hello everyone. I received my RAD-0 earlier this month - very much enjoying them.

IMG_20210708_090424-01.jpeg
Did you have the headband cushions made that way? Those are quite different from the one pad piece on the Rosson website.

Jul 24, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #815 of 1,033
Did you have the headband cushions made that way? Those are quite different from the one pad piece on the Rosson website.
Dekoni Nuggets on either side by the looks.

Jul 24, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #816 of 1,033
Hello everyone. I received my RAD-0 earlier this month - very much enjoying them.

IMG_20210708_090424-01.jpeg

Those are beautiful bud! Glad you love how they turned out and I'm sure they are a site to see in person.

How do you like them with the dekoni nuggets?

Jul 25, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #817 of 1,033

I'm experimenting with Dekoni nuggets per @Coztomba.

@Sebastien Chiu thanks bud (and @kkrazik2008)! Your instincts are correct and they are even better in person. I'm looking forward to you receiving yours!

With the Dekoni nuggets as pictured, there is a slight improvement. With one layer of nuggets, there isn't a whole lot of contact and alleviation of pressure. I personally don't find the weight to be an issue (I used to have African Blackwood Verite Closed that were heavier); I did stretch the headband in order lessen the clamp force.

I don't find the hotspot to be prohibitively bothersome. That said, I am experimenting with two layers of Dekoni nuggets. The nuggets collapse quite a bit and they become level with the center pad of the headband when worn; I've found it to be effective thus far but am in the process of further evaluating. I'll post a pic later.

Jul 27, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #818 of 1,033
Those are beautiful bud! Glad you love how they turned out and I'm sure they are a site to see in person.

How do you like them with the dekoni nuggets?

I experimented with using Dekoni nuggets in order to more evenly distribute the headband pressure (hotspot mitigation). One layer of the Dekonis wasn't all that effective as they barely touch my head. Two layers of the Dekonis (they are sold in packs of four) are effective and recommended, at a manageable cost of 33 grams including the knitted headband (more for aesthetics).

IMG_20210721_205823__01-01.jpeg

https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dekoni-audio-nuggets-headphone-headband-pressure-relief-pads-4-pack/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01G4T07IK

Jul 29, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #820 of 1,033
My current preferred pairing: A&S Mogwai SE.

Nice -- I keep saying no to tube amps, but I really wonder if I would have made a different decision re RAD-0 vs Hedd had I been listening to them via tubes :)

I only heard them from SS and tube-hybrid (Liquid Platinum) amps.

Jul 29, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #821 of 1,033
Nice -- I keep saying no to tube amps, but I really wonder if I would have made a different decision re RAD-0 vs Hedd had I been listening to them via tubes :)

I only heard them from SS and tube-hybrid (Liquid Platinum) amps.

Cool - it would probably depend on your preferred sound signature. I don't believe the amplification would necessarily sway a different decision. The RAD-0 is relatively highly sensitive, especially for a planar, and doesn't take too much to make them sing. I have friends that pair it with a Chord Mojo or Schiit Vali 2+. I normally favor tube amps, but the RAD-0 pairs just fine with SS.

Jul 29, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #822 of 1,033
I normally favor tube amps, but the RAD-0 pairs just fine with SS.
Indeed, one of the best SS headphone amplifiers to drive the RAD-0 is the HeadAmp GSX-mini. Quite the pairing - musically coherent, emotionally gripping…

Aug 2, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #825 of 1,033
1623865865097.png

Grill options for my personal RAD 0 are here! Alex and the team are letting me paint certain pieces since we're matching them to very specific paint I have here for other reasons (a costume that I am building from Star Wars)!
That is super cool. You should post pics of your set with the various grills!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back